Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2011, 11:08 AM

18 posts, read 14,109 times

Advertisements

I always thought it was weird that Dallas receives all the attention as far as heat goes when Houston is just as bad, if not worse.

Dallas can have a high temp of 104 but a heat index of 105. Houston, on the other hand, can have a temp of 98 and a heat index of 108? I know our humidity is always worse then Dallas and that is why the heat index values are so different. Our dew points are always higher than those in Dallas except for last month when half of the country got Houston type humidity.

Like right now our dew points couldn't be more different (according to NOAA):

Dallas

Temp: 96
Dew Point: 63
Heat Index: 97

Houston:

Dew Point: 73
Heat Index: 105

I'm not saying that Dallas isn't hot because IT DEFINITELY IS! I've spent most of my life between the two places and will promise you that heat is heat. But why the lack of respect by the media for the people in Houston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 11:22 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,438,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benfranklinspants View Post
I always thought it was weird that Dallas receives all the attention as far as heat goes when Houston is just as bad, if not worse.

Dallas can have a high temp of 104 but a heat index of 105. Houston, on the other hand, can have a temp of 98 and a heat index of 108? I know our humidity is always worse then Dallas and that is why the heat index values are so different. Our dew points are always higher than those in Dallas except for last month when half of the country got Houston type humidity.

Dallas

Houston:

I'm not saying that Dallas isn't hot because IT DEFINITELY IS! I've spent most of my life between the two places and will promise you that heat is heat. But why the lack of respect by the media for the people in Houston?
Cause no one cares about Houston

Old 08-20-2011, 11:25 AM

6,125 posts, read 7,475,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benfranklinspants View Post

Dallas

Houston:

Dallas has a lower humidity (dew point), which allows the temperature to be higher...whereas Houston's higher humidity keeps the temperature a little lower. From a heat index perspective Houston is almost always less comfortable due to the higher humidity levels even though the temperature is usually lower.

Florida, for example, usually has very high dew points, but significally lower temperatures (compared to Dallas)...yet Florida's heat index can be extremely high and extremely uncomfortable even when the temperature is [only] in the 80s and 90s.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:42 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,056,984 times
I've checked heat index maps throughout the summer and North Texas has usually been in the hottest area. Humidity isn't enough to balance out a 10 degree difference.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:50 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,559,658 times
I normally think Houston is MUCH worse, but Dallas has really taken the cake this summer.

I could never live in that sauna of a city...it's bad enough here right now!

Old 08-20-2011, 07:45 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,475,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
I've checked heat index maps throughout the summer and North Texas has usually been in the hottest area. Humidity isn't enough to balance out a 10 degree difference.
I assume you are talking about the difference between North Texas and Florida. If so, all I can say is - that depends. It depends on whether an individual is more comfortable being hot with relatively low humidity where they aren't soaking wet with sweat...versus being 10 degrees (or so) cooler but soaking wet from head-to-toe with high humidity. Most people would prefer being 10 degrees warmer and not soaking wet.

In high humidity areas you can seek shade but cannot escape the humidity, which of course is everywhere outside. In drier climate areas you're only interested in seeking shade because the low humidity is not much of a factor.

I noticed at one point today it was 107 degrees with a humidity of 18%. I was outside for about an hour talking with someone and never broke a sweat. I was in the shade. It was hot, but not overly uncomfortable. However, I can assure you that if I had been in Florida (for example) with a temperature 20 degrees cooler (say 87 degrees) with that state's normal high humidity I would have been soaking wet with sweat dripping off my nose and chin and not a dry stitch of clothing on...even though I was in shade. I don't know about you but I'm far more comfortable when my body and clothing is dry, or my body and clothing will dry once I stop exerting myself.

If you like constantly feeling like you've just taken a shower with your clothes on anytime you're outside, then you'll like higher humidity areas even though the temperature is 10~20 degrees cooler. Myself - I'll take 100 degrees and 25% humidity anytime over 80 degrees and 70% humidity.

In Orlando right now it is 80 degrees and 72% humidity. In Dallas right now it is 100 degrees and 25% humidity. My guess is that anyone outside in Orlando right now is hot, soaking wet and sticky, and totally uncomfortable. In Dallas it's just uncomfortably hot.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:57 AM

1,518 posts, read 3,056,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
I assume you are talking about the difference between North Texas and Florida. If so, all I can say is - that depends. It depends on whether an individual is more comfortable being hot with relatively low humidity where they aren't soaking wet with sweat...versus being 10 degrees (or so) cooler but soaking wet from head-to-toe with high humidity. Most people would prefer being 10 degrees warmer and not soaking wet.
I was only talking about heat indexes as they're calculated by meteorologists. Unless you frequently travel between two places, you can't really compare them firsthand.

Personally, I find the cooler and more humid climate to feel better for short periods of time. It's only after I've been in it for a while without my sweat doing anything for me that it really starts feeling hot. So I'd have to say it depends on what you're doing.

Quote:
In Orlando right now it is 80 degrees and 72% humidity. In Dallas right now it is 100 degrees and 25% humidity. My guess is that anyone outside in Orlando right now is hot, soaking wet and sticky, and totally uncomfortable. In Dallas it's just uncomfortably hot.
Relative humidity is dependent upon temperature so you can't compare it in two places with significantly different temperatures. Looking at the dew points which are based on absolute humidity, Dallas is 67 while Orlando is 72, not exactly a vast difference.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:03 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
It's hot in both Dallas and Houston, as well as any where else in Texas.

Try any of it WITHOUT air conditioning.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:49 PM

217 posts, read 382,089 times
I have lived in Houston for the past 3 years and moved here to the Dallas area a month ago and I think somebody nailed it on the head..... in the sun, Houston is more comfortable. The heat in the Sun here is just so incredibly hot. But, in the shade, its okay and I think Dallas is much more comfortable..... blame that on that Houston humidity.

I pray daily, that this summer that Dallas has served me up in the past month is abnormal..... because if it isn't, I won't be here too long, I understand some hot days that are just crazy in the summer are part of normal reality, but "everyday" ?..... this is off the charts.

Last edited by Im Lost; 08-21-2011 at 04:05 PM..

Old 08-21-2011, 05:51 PM

107 posts, read 166,965 times
Coming from New England - would you say (typically - and I know this summer is not typical) July and August are the hotter than heck months, but the rest bearable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas