Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 12:44 PM

3 posts, read 6,002 times

Advertisements

Hello
thanks in advance for any suggestions and input offered. We are looking to possibly move to akron, OH or Dallas, TX.
Of course our move will depend a lot on the job we get in both these places.
However, the other factors listed below are important in our consideration, so any relevant information offered on this will be helpful:

-cost of living
-we are looking for a city and state where diversity and liberal attitudes are vibrant
- closeaccess to nature including mountians and lakes or even better if possible beaches
- connectivity for travel ease (close to major airports)
Thanks for sharing any relevant input that can help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 12:47 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,470,206 times
Have you been to Dallas before?

Old 08-30-2009, 01:36 PM

563 posts, read 1,711,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcam321 View Post
-cost of living
-we are looking for a city and state where diversity and liberal attitudes are vibrant
- closeaccess to nature including mountians and lakes or even better if possible beaches
Dallas has a very good cost of living. It also has an international airport, which will make travel easier. However if you are looking for nature, you won't find it here. You would have to drive 3-4 hours south into the hill country to find really beautiful nature. And the closest beach (Galveston) is probably 5 hours away without traffic. So I guess you might want to rate what is most important. Dallas is a very nice, modern city. It's clean. I have lived here most of my life and I do think it's a nice place to live. People are friendly and there is a lot of culture. But you won't find nature here, you will find a lot of concrete. I'm moving to Houston in a month due to a job loss and I'm looking forward to being closer to the ocean. Although there is a lot of concrete there too! But the weather is more tropical so I will be able to grow more types of plants.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:37 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,239,219 times
Well.......they both have airports.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:57 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,617,748 times
If you're looking for mountains and liberal attitudes, Dallas is probably NOT your best choice. You'll find pockets of the latter but none of the former.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:58 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
However, the other factors listed below are important in our consideration, so any relevant information offered on this will be helpful:

-cost of living
The suburbs of Dallas have a relatively low cost of living. Dallas itself, if you want a good neighborhood, not so much.

Quote:
Dallas's nice suburbs are mainly conservative and white. Dallas itself is more liberal and diverse but remember what state Dallas is in.

Quote:
No mountains and no beaches here.

Quote:
We do have that. Mountains and beaches are but a 3 hour flight away in southern California.

Honestly I do not think Akron or Dallas are a good fit for you guys.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:34 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Hello
thanks in advance for any suggestions and input offered. We are looking to possibly move to akron, OH or Dallas, TX.

-cost of living
I can't imagine any 2 cities that are more distant from one another than Akron and Dallas. Ok, now let me give you my feeling about Dallas versus Akron: Akron is a working class town, for years totally controlled by the rubber industry, it is a very old city and much smaller than Dallas. I do not know for certain, but I am guessing it certainly isn't liberal: working class yes, truely liberal probably not. The cost of living would be a positive for sure, getting any jobs probably would not happen. Of course you don't mention background or what field your careers are in.

Dallas is new and clean, great weather, and better job opportunities. As for liberal, yes, the city itself is, but the burbs are very conservative.

Neither state would be considered liberal as in vibrant as you put it. Both cities have major airports, DFW being one of the busiest in the country.
As for lakes, mountains and beaches, I think you need to bone up on geography: neither state or city meets your criteria in that field. In fact I don't think either city would meet your requirements period. Texas is very conservative and Ohio leans that way even if 2008 didn't prove this to be the case. You may want to do more homework, more research and consentrate on the pacific Northwest or New England.

Nita

Old 08-31-2009, 09:05 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,426,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
pacific Northwest or New England.

Check out New Hampshire.

It's got a cheaper cost of living than most places, no state income tax, it's a conservative state but only in relation to the surrounding states, and the mountains and the ocean are but an hour or two drive.

Also convenient is a true major city like Boston, or for a weekend trip NYC or D.C. or Philadelphia.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:23 PM

122 posts, read 507,551 times
Quote:
Hello

-cost of living
Why are you looking at Dallas? It does not fit any of your requirements except maybe cost of living. Oh it does have an airport but AA has a monopoly.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:21 PM

162 posts, read 633,479 times
Quote:
Hello
-cost of living
Just to reinforce previous responses:
Aye on cost of living and access to a major airport.
Diversity is so-so. No more or less than any other large US city.
Huge and insurmountable nays on your other criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: