Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 07:26 PM

1 posts, read 15,292 times

Advertisements

Hello. My wife and I are considering moving to Mckinney, TX from AZ and are interested in the Craig Ranch community. Is there anyone out there who lives there or knows someone who lives there and could describe their experiences. In addition, below are some specific questions about craig ranch I would like to address:

1. How is the crime out in the community?
2. How is the upkeep of the community?
3. How expensive are property taxes on a $225k home?
4. What is the peak typical utility cost for a 3300 sq. ft home?
5. Are the amenities really as great as they look?
6. How friendly is the community?
7. Are there a lot of investment properties or rentals?
8. What is the typical commute time to Addison, TX?
9. How is the pace of life living out in Mckinney in craig ranch?
10. How are the schools?
11. Are there any non-denominational christian churches in the area?
12. How much is the HOA?
13. How much is the fitness center membership?
14. Is the fitness center for residents only?
15. What do you like the most about living in craig ranch?
16. What do you like the least about living in craig ranch?
17. Do you find living in craig ranch keeps you from having to drive everywhere else all the time?
18. How has the home appreciation been in craig ranch?

Thank you for your time in answering the questions and any other comments you may have. This is a very big decision for us and we want to make sure it is going to be a good fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2006, 09:57 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,424,716 times
Hiya -

Im currently researching the DFW area as well. Unfortunately, I haven't been looking at your particular area, but for some of the questions you had regarding property taxes etc., you can find many questions answered at ziprealty.com

They have recently tied into zillow.com as well. Zillow takes all the local tax data as well as the comps etc and gives you the low down on a particular address. You can even use it for your existing address. It is amazing what they have compiled, and also kinda scary

On Zip, it will pull the data of the particular property that you are looking and and it will say not only the schools, but the HOA fees associated with that particular property.

just4kids.org is a really good education site, as it has the breakdowns for the testing results of the Texas schools. Fair warning though on the schools, you will want to probably find someone on here that will give you an honest opinion of the district and school etc., as the TAKS testing doesn't always portray the right facts.

Hope this helps and good luck in your search!

Old 10-23-2006, 10:51 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,653,609 times
Hey I live in Mckinney. I first wanted to tell you that Craig Ranch is a very nice place to live. What though I want you to understand that as a whole, it is a neighborhood that is part of Mckinney. Mckinney has it's sections, Stonebridge, the East Side and the Historical district, West Ridge, Winding Creek and El Dorado. Am I missing anything friends? To me they are all neighborhood communities each with it's own home owner dues, maybe a nice pool area and amenities. I will do my best to answer your questions.
1. How is the crime out in the community? The more west you go, the more that kids vandalize. This is the big talk in town. They caught kids this summer who were spray painting, they are still out to get the kids with the bb guns. It seems that the more west in Mckinney you are, they are going around those home areas. I was a victim as well and there was a citizen here who told me they shot at bikers ( lance armstrong types) as they paced along. As far as petty crime, well it is the city but it is fairly low compared to other areas. We though have 1 unsolved murder and 1 where they have apprehended a suspect for the murder of a realtor in a dr horton model home.
2. How is the upkeep of the community?
The upkeep is really good. Mckinney is very clean. I have not seen anything in Craig Ranch bad looking. Also too remember they are still building over there.
3. How expensive are property taxes on a $225k home? Maybe 5000 a year

4. What is the peak typical utility cost for a 3300 sq. ft home?
It depends on what type of insulation you have and how energy effencient it is. That much square footage could be as much as 500 dollars in the summer but it goes down in the fall.
5. Are the amenities really as great as they look? I am sure if they boast of them there, they are. T
6. How friendly is the community?
I think it depends on where you are from and how you would compare that. LOL I have heard some people say they aren't friendly here and some others say it is the friendliest town around. Personally it is a mixed bag. I don't care for Lifetime Fitness over in the Craig Ranch area. The staff has been nothing but rude to me and underminded me the last time I dropped my child there. They let him go swimming when I specifically told them no. They let him swim in his clothes. I was quite red in the face when I was told this. It upset me terribly and I was met with defiance and them trying to justify why they did it.
7. Are there a lot of investment properties or rentals?
I don't know if there are but if you look on a realtor site under leases, it should come up. More people in my area own verses rent.
8. What is the typical commute time to Addison, TX?
???I am not quite sure, it would be quite thick in the morning. 30 minutes to an hour?
9. How is the pace of life living out in Mckinney in craig ranch?
I think again that would depend on what sort of lifestyle you lead now. If you are from a big city, then it could be considered slow paced but if you are from a rural area, fast.
10. How are the schools? The elementary schools are great educationally wise, there are some better than others. That side of town they are all great!
11. Are there any non-denominational christian churches in the area?
Yes and plenty close to Craig Ranch. Also too, when you say non denominational, does that include Assemblies of God type of worship, charismatic? Fellowship Church is on El Dorado, 4 Corners on 121 both non denominational. There is an Assemblies of God called
Family Worship Center on El Dorado and Stonebridge Church are churches which are more charismatic however Family Worship center does not have people on sundays basked in the gifts, it is pretty straight laced.
12. How much is the HOA? ??

Old 10-23-2006, 10:55 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,653,609 times
13. How much is the fitness center membership? Coopers Aerobics is supposed to be expensive, Lifetime Fitness is about 159 a month but it is not WORTH IT TO ME. It has a mcfit attitude, fast foodish personalities around there in charge. There is not type of Zen as I put it. I really have tried but it just is not for us. The Natatoruim on exchange in allen is 252 a year which has a fitness center and an aquatic park with lazy river, huge regular pool with lanes( for swim meets) and big slides, this membership also includes privledges at the Joe Farmer Recreational Center on Bethany it has nice Fitness equipment as well. If you just want to join the Joe Farmer Recreational, it is 85 dollars for the whole year and all payments can be done monthly, no contracts or initian fees. I know this because I have been researching and going to join over there. Too if you live in Allen, it is much less too in membership fees.
14. Is the fitness center for residents only? If you are talking about Cooper Aerobics, it is for anyone.
15. What do you like the most about living in craig ranch? ??
16. What do you like the least about living in craig ranch? ??
17. Do you find living in craig ranch keeps you from having to drive everywhere else all the time? ???
18. How has the home appreciation been in craig ranch? ?????

I also wanted to add, you can google the Allen Nataoruim to find information on it as well as the Joe Farmer Rec place. It breaks down prices and what they have. Just my feelings too, those huge fittness places have something to offer for some people but for me no. I have been wanting to work out and sometimes i don't need all the fancy things that go along with it but I find that the city of Allen really thought out well to have some nice equipement, much like the YMCA I use to be apart of in another state.
If you move here, I would encourage you to check out every fitness place around before deciding on those 2 in craig ranch. JMO.

Old 11-05-2006, 03:34 AM

2 posts, read 23,060 times
Default Trolley and downtown

Hi,

Can anyone tell me about the trolley? Is it operational?

What shops and resturants are in the craig ranch "downtown"

Old 11-19-2006, 09:46 AM

2 posts, read 18,843 times
I just visited this community last week. The trolley system is working and the cost is included in the homeowners association dues. The hoa fees are $396.oo per year. They are building new shopping centers, they have an aerobic center, which cost a monthly fee just as any other gym. They have medical clinics, a super target, ball fields, a Chili's, a pizza place and they are building a water park. The trolley will take you to any of these places and the last trolley returns at midnight on Friday & Saturday nights. There seems to be ample trolley stops. It is a very nice area. There is also some nice areas that are very close to this subdivision that are less pricey.

Old 12-02-2006, 01:27 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,757,223 times
Default If anyone has more info to add....

...Please do, I'm also moving to Craig Ranch and I'd like to get as much info as I can about the city, neighborhood, and community.

Old 12-02-2006, 03:07 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,946,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guingirl View Post
Hiya -

They have recently tied into zillow.com as well. Zillow takes all the local tax data as well as the comps etc and gives you the low down on a particular address. You can even use it for your existing address. It is amazing what they have compiled, and also kinda scary

Zillow is a great tool but use caution with its value estimates, especially in volatile markets. It pulls data from the public records and does a decent job of providing a range, but a 15% variance is not uncommon... which can be a lot of money.

Old 12-03-2006, 03:35 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,757,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Zillow is a great tool but use caution with its value estimates, especially in volatile markets. It pulls data from the public records and does a decent job of providing a range, but a 15% variance is not uncommon... which can be a lot of money.
What?????
Are talking about Craig Ranch?

Old 12-04-2006, 04:53 PM

87 posts, read 373,263 times
I just moved to McKinney by Craig Ranch, and got my first water bill. It was $165 for 30,000 gallons! I can't see how a family of 3 (2 adults, 1 toddler) can use 30,000 gallons of water. Gas and Electric are average, but the water rediculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas