Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 05:45 PM

9 posts, read 17,384 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Dallas and can be sustain for two weeks (recent college graduate) if i stay in a hotel. How's it it like to find a job in between those two weeks and maneuver after that. Will i be abale to find a job if i look hard enough. Any advice will do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 06:07 PM

11,864 posts, read 26,907,147 times
What kind of work do you want to do? If you're a nurse, PM me please!

Old 01-19-2010, 06:43 PM

1,010 posts, read 2,464,180 times
2 weeks in not enough, especially for a new graduate in this economy. Certainly you aren't going to be getting the 1st paycheck in 2 weeks time.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:03 PM

9 posts, read 17,384 times
Thank you Christie and CompSciGuy for your help- any more suggestion i am willing to listen

Old 01-20-2010, 12:45 PM

333 posts, read 1,022,389 times
2 weeks is not long enough even if you're a nurse. After interviews, you will have to allow time for physical, drug screen clearance, background check, etc for many jobs. Not to mention, once you start working it usually is 2 more weeks before seeing your first paycheck

Old 01-20-2010, 12:49 PM

1,010 posts, read 2,464,180 times
Judging from your listed Zip Code, I'm going to assume that you're on the East Coast. The easiest thing to do if you want to live in the DFW area is to try to find a job local in your current area with a company, and there after 1-2 years try to do an internal transfer (preferably to Dallas, but secondary to Texas). If you just move, even in good times, you will have no bargaining power, no obvious connection to the area, etc. Although initially a move may gain more interviews / interest, that will quickly drop off, ... as humans will make assumptions, like if you have been out of work for a while, why is this person out of work, etc. I know, it's not fair, but that's how it is. Also, in this day and age of Google Maps, etc., people will look up what you have listed, and a permanent address (or at least an apartment) will be needed for your search (and possible to receive a physical offer, etc. although maybe nowadays most offers may be sent via email, etc.).

Old 01-20-2010, 03:04 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,321,343 times
If you're a recent college graduate and still live near your school, check in with the career center to see if any companies with offices in Dallas are recruiting on campus this semester.

Also, check with the alumni center to see if any other former graduates live in the Dallas area. Network with them to see if they know of any companies that are hiring people like you.

It is always best to move with a job offer & start date! Remember, some companies pay weekly paychecks, but others pay monthly, so even if you start your job on the 1st of the month, you may not see your first paycheck for up to 4 weeks later.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:42 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,681,819 times
I wouldn't go for a hotel. When I first moved here I lived in a room for rent as long as you don't mind being cooped up in a single room. They usually go for about $200 a month. You can easily find a fast food or retail job to sustain you temporarily while you search for a job in your area. My job paid monthly when I first moved here and my car broke down so it was really tight when I first came here.

Welcome to Greensheet This is where I looked for rooms to rent. You don't wanna run out of money and end up sleeping in your car.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:56 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,601,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrBeau View Post
I am moving to Dallas and can be sustain for two weeks (recent college graduate) if i stay in a hotel. How's it it like to find a job in between those two weeks and maneuver after that. Will i be abale to find a job if i look hard enough. Any advice will do.
I do believe you can but you still haven't said what you majored in. We can assist with more information. Are you willing to take a less paying job until a better paying one comes? Do you have a vehicle in good condition because here you will need it. Will someone else be moving here with you; maybe find a roommate to split all costs. Do you have some money saved up just in case you need to stay longer? Have gone to websites to post your resume, see how many jobs are avail in this area to include both Dallas and Ft Worth and every city in between and surround DFW?

Old 01-21-2010, 12:00 AM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,771,276 times
I don't recommend moving unless you have several month's living expenses in savings. Just two weeks' worth is a ticket to going homeless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: