Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 07:40 PM

7 posts, read 12,553 times

Advertisements

My husband may be getting a transfer to Dallas!!! i am excited about this and nervous at the same time. I have been looking at homes online, getting ideas, but not sure if we are looking in the right areas for us??? We like a rural area, but close enough to get to shopping and entertainment if wanted. We are not sure about the commute, he now takes the train into chicago. The areas I have been looking at, Rockwall, & Plano. (is that far from Dallas??) Any other ideas and input will be greatly appreciated!!! HELP!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 08:03 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,309,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooth-fairy10 View Post
My husband may be getting a transfer to Dallas!!! i am excited about this and nervous at the same time. I have been looking at homes online, getting ideas, but not sure if we are looking in the right areas for us??? We like a rural area, but close enough to get to shopping and entertainment if wanted. We are not sure about the commute, he now takes the train into chicago. The areas I have been looking at, Rockwall, & Plano. (is that far from Dallas??) Any other ideas and input will be greatly appreciated!!! HELP!!!
Rockwall and Plano are anything but rural. They are completely developed suburb cities.

To help you better, we need to know what your budget is and how far your husband is willing to commute. There is a light rail here (DART), but it only connects downtown Dallas to the southern tip of East Plano (along hwy 75). It does not extend east into Rockwall. A "typical" rush hour drive from Rockwall into Dallas is 30-45 min. From Plano, avg 45 min, but could be as little as 30 or as much as 60-90 in bad weather/ wreck.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:05 PM

6 posts, read 23,984 times
Hey that's great! A transfer brought me here 6 months ago, wasn't happy at first but now that I'm settled in all is good

Traffic can be a killer. I drive from Frisco to Love Field several times a week at various times between 7am and 11am. During rush hour it takes about an hour or just over. Slow, stop and go stuff.

It'd be worth looking at Plano, Frisco and McKinney as they are all nice areas, just depends on where in Dallas your husband works and what kind of drive he's willing to put up with. For rural check out the Prosper area....but it'd be a tough one in rush hour.

Good luck!!!

Old 04-11-2010, 08:22 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,891,424 times
Find out exactly where your husband will be working, then look close to there. DFW is a HUGE area, and as others have said, a long commute is NOT fun...

Old 04-11-2010, 08:58 PM

I am doing some mapquesting from where his office will be and these towns that everyone has mentioned.. Right now his commute door to door is just under 2 hours, 1 hour 15ish mins is on the metra and 20min the office once in downtown chicago. 15-20 to get to the train from our house. So i think a 30-40 min commute qill be a welcomed change for him. Everyones input is going to be put into account. I think we will be making a trip to Dallas at the end of may to take a look around. I am getting EXCITED!!! Tell me more PLEASE!!!

Old 04-11-2010, 10:37 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooth-fairy10 View Post
Tell me more PLEASE!!!
I think they are trying but we need more info. Where is your hubby's job ? Do you have kids in school ? What is your price range ? Are you an Uptown kind of girl or is the quiet Burbs your kind of lifestyle ?

I assume he will be in downtown Dallas ? Will he travel much from DFW airport or Love Field ?

A little more info can help.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:57 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,471,838 times
If his office is downtown, then he may very well have a 30-60 minute commute in order to be near good suburban schools. But if his office is not in central Dallas, you may be able to live a lot closer to the job and still have the good schools.

Now working downtown and living in a rural area? That's hard in the top half of the Dallas area which is where most of the development and growth is. The bottom half (south) is less developed and gets less growth. You don't get rural until the towns Anna, Melissa, Prosper, Royse City, Aubrey.

Plano and Rockwall are not small towns at all, esp Plano. Taking the train to work takes longer than driving in a lot of cases. The train is only better if there is a wreck.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:43 PM

I looked up the address of his office... I believe its in central Dallas.. its on Ross. We dont have any children so we dont have to look at schools, but for resale I dont want to get in a bad district. this is great even to get some names of surrounding towns .. as I know NOTHING about TX!!!! THANKS!!!!

Old 04-12-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I think they are trying but we need more info. Where is your hubby's job ? Do you have kids in school ? What is your price range ? Are you an Uptown kind of girl or is the quiet Burbs your kind of lifestyle ?

I assume he will be in downtown Dallas ? Will he travel much from DFW airport or Love Field ?

A little more info can help.

Ok i will try to give you some more info... we have no kids but still want to make sure schools are good for resale... our price range is around 250,000-300,000 ... Uptown kinda girl??.. well at one time but now we live in the country & I get my city fix when I take my rides into the city for shopping and for just fun!! My hubby gets his fix working in downtown Chicago, i get mine shopping Downtown Chicago!!!! He wont be traveling all that much out of town so being all that close to the airport isnt too important.. I am such a TX newbie .. "Love Field"??? i am guessing that is a airport.. aaahhhhh i am feeling so lost... I have NEVER lived out of Chicago.. so I am excited but ...YIKES!!!!

Old 04-12-2010, 03:57 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,890,363 times
The thing is if you like "rural" you can still get an acre lot or more in Rockwall and be in good schools and a decent commute to downtown Dallas. You can not do that in Plano or the other northern burbs. While Rockwall is not that "rural" any longer it still has a lot of that small town feel to it and is surrounded by rural areas.

BTW, you can not compare Plano to Rockwall. They are VASTLY different. Same with McKinney or Frisco and trying to compare them to Rockwall. Not even close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas