Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 11:29 AM

468 posts, read 1,887,239 times

Advertisements

This is truley a day of rejoicing!!! Cabela's is gonna build a store in Allen Texas!! City of Allen OKs incentives to lure Cabela's | wfaa.com | Local News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 12:34 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,465,713 times
that stacy road and 75 intersection is becoming quite a shopping mecca. Traffic is going to be terrible up there.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:18 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
FYI--the Cabela's in north FTW that was supposed to be such a money maker apparently is having trouble staying in business--
not just because of the economy--it has struggled for several years because they built it before the housing/infrastructure was there--once the new wore off most people were not driving all that way to get what they could find at Bass Pro in Grapevine and some other store like Dick's...

FTW gave them a tax abatement to build that store and I think they have had trouble living up to the requirements of having enough employees--
so Allen needs to check their situation carefully...

Old 04-15-2010, 03:15 PM

468 posts, read 1,887,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
FTW gave them a tax abatement to build that store and I think they have had trouble living up to the requirements of having enough employees--
Have you seen the residential and commercial development in Allen recently? I've been to the Cabela's in Fort Worth and it's built out in the middle of nowhere. Stacey and US75 is home to a huge outlet mall, a huge sports and entertainment arena, restaurant row, a large hotel just opened, department stores..... and a dog park of all things. I can only imagine the 1% of the sales tax that Allen is cashing in on now. $$$ I've been to Outdoor World aka Bass Pro Shop and I love it there too. Dick's? Naw, they don't really cater to the outdoor hunting and fishing sportsman. Sure if you play soccer or baseball. I don't think Cabela's will have any problem with finding employees. Craig Ranch is just 5 minutes away. Yep, traffic will be a problem, we hope.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:49 PM

6,826 posts, read 14,036,923 times
I love Cabela's but Allen is about as far as Ft Worth is from me. Bass Pro shops is way to expensive. Guess I will have to stick with Academy.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:50 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Clarification--
I meant keeping people employed--not finding enough people to work there--usually tax abatements come with stipulations about keeping so many people employeed full time...

I know Dick's is just clothing and we don't really shop there anyway cause I too think it is too expensive...
and no--I don't shop in Allen--so I don't know how much infrastructure is already in place--but Cabela's thought it would be like: "build it and they will come" and guess they found out differently
it gets people at Christmas but it IS out in the middle of nowhere--
they should have built it in Frisco because Ikea was not built when Cabela's went in I think so it was pretty raw at that time or maybe Mansfield which was pretty hot area when Cabela's was going in and has lots of the outdoor types living in the area
they picked the Haslet area because they got a good deal from FTW I guess and though being on 35 would mean they would get enough outlying traffic but 35 is just a terrible freeway...
just goes to show that sometimes the people who are supposed to dig into the details pre-contract can still make mistakes...

Old 04-15-2010, 10:08 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,425,311 times
Yes, just what the D/FW area needs. More chain big-box stores.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:34 AM

1 posts, read 15,192 times
Default You dont have a clue at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
FYI--the Cabela's in north FTW that was supposed to be such a money maker apparently is having trouble staying in business--
not just because of the economy--it has struggled for several years because they built it before the housing/infrastructure was there--once the new wore off most people were not driving all that way to get what they could find at Bass Pro in Grapevine and some other store like Dick's...

Cabelas in FTW is in no way shape or form in finacial trouble. I have worked there for 5yr as a manger and I can tell you this is one of the most profitable stores in the company. The Allen location is going in due to large catalog and internet sales from that area even though a store is an hour away. Why do people feel like its ok to post info like this when they have zero info to back it up. The Ft. Worth store sells more firearms than any other place in the world and yes I mean world. No one sells more firearms than we do period. Does that sound like a place that is due to close or is in finacial trouble? The FTW store is a flagship location and you will not see anymore built to that size again. The Allen store is projected to be one of the top stores in the company right out the gate. This location will be more convienient for our east side of metroplex customers. It will only be 100,000sq feet(FTW is 232k sq ft). Cabelas as a company is in excellent finacial shape, actually in better shape than the vast majority of retail as a whole(owning our own bank is a huge plus). MAKE NO MISTAKE THE CABELAS IN FTWORTH IS NOT IN ANY TROUBLE IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:23 PM

1 posts, read 15,052 times
I'm with you on the FTW store being very viable. Ranger Boats has the confidence to move their boats in. Cabela's Rocks! I like BPS too, but Cabela's seems way better. I can't wait to shop at the new store in Allen, it is a stone's throw from me here in Melissa, and being on the north end of the traffic I have the best of both worlds. BTW, pay attention to those Allen Americans in the same shopping center... They are skating for the championship this weekend! They are a Central Hockey League affiliate of the Dallas Stars. Go see one of the last two games on Fri and Sat!

Old 04-29-2010, 06:57 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,377,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckit22 View Post
Cabelas in FTW is in no way shape or form in finacial trouble. I have worked there for 5yr as a manger and I can tell you this is one of the most profitable stores in the company. The Allen location is going in due to large catalog and internet sales from that area even though a store is an hour away. The Ft. Worth store sells more firearms than any other place in the world and yes I mean world. No one sells more firearms than we do period. Does that sound like a place that is due to close or is in finacial trouble? The FTW store is a flagship location and you will not see anymore built to that size again. The Allen store is projected to be one of the top stores in the company right out the gate. This location will be more convienient for our east side of metroplex customers. It will only be 100,000sq feet(FTW is 232k sq ft). Cabelas as a company is in excellent finacial shape, actually in better shape than the vast majority of retail as a whole(owning our own bank is a huge plus). MAKE NO MISTAKE THE CABELAS IN FTWORTH IS NOT IN ANY TROUBLE IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM.
+2

Good info. Thanks!

Quote:
Why do people feel like its ok to post info like this when they have zero info to back it up.
You're still new to C-D forums; lurk around awhile, you ain't seen nothing yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas