Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 01:43 PM

965 posts, read 1,886,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acntx View Post
Well using that definition, not a single southern suburb can be classified a "ghetto."

1)They are suburbs, not urban areas.
2)None are overcrowded. Cedar Hill, Lancaster, and DeSoto are 'low' density and Duncanville is 'average,' according to city-data's information.
3)The bulk of the population in the southern suburbs remains middle-class, not poor. They chose to live here and weren't 'forced' to live here because of social, legal, or economic pressure.
4)The population remains diverse despite demographic changes. None are exclusively one race or another.

This thread has totally gotten out of control.

^^This.

And someone who cites Wikipedia as a source for anything says a lot about them. But what do I know?

Old 06-15-2010, 01:55 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Absolutely not. All I'm saying is that most people have at least a little racism in them. It's human nature for one group to feel that they are superior over the other. Just some are a bit more vocal about it than others and those voices are getting louder. That's why I'm stocking up and preparing and protecting myself for the future, because it's not going to be pretty.

And I consider them extremists too.
I guess I got the impression from your post that you consider extremist whites to be the norm. Glad that's not the case. I can't read any of that stuff without feeling sick, so I tend to ignore it since I recognize these are fringe groups. They'll always be with us. Human nature, I think.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:04 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,559,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
Nonsense.Crime stats are a record of crimes committed.If you live in an area with lower crime stats than another area,you are by definition living in a lower crime area.Why do people want to pretend this isn't true?Do people think the crime stats are a wild guess by someone behind a computer on how many crimes he thinks might happen in the area?It is a record of crimes committed.

And insisting that it is racist to make a decision on where to live based on crime stats and school ranking is simply stupid.Can some nitwit that makes these kind of claims please tell me how looking at stats that do not mention race and making decisions on those stats is racist?

Here's a newsflash for all the PC folks that want to cry racism.It is YOU who are making racist distinctions.When someone looks at the stats and decides "I don't want to live in an area with higher crime rates and lower ranked schools",and then you guys cry racism,it is YOU linking higher crime and lower schools with race,NOT the people looking at numbers on a page that do not mention race.
Whatever. Hey, the Tea Party called and want you to come join them.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Like I said before, as a black woman, I realized that black=ghetto/crime-ridden/uneducated to a lot of people, no matter how much you personally achieve in life.

I learned a long time ago that no matter how much I achieve financially or education-wise, I'm still just a n----r to most white people. At best, we're often viewed as shiftless, whiny, and lazy; subhuman, pathological, and functionally retarded at worst. When people start talking behind closed doors, it's amazing and horrible what is really said. I made the mistake one time of reading Stormfront. I'll never do that again.

Anyway, most of the crticisms about the southern suburbs come from the transplants who've never set foot south of I-635 and can only go by what others tell them. Most people are stupid and lack critical thinking, so they can only go by rumors and hearsay. I'm pretty sure someone could make up a story about some deadly shooting down in the Best Southwest and say "it happens all the time!" and people would believe it, despite evidence to the contrary. A lot of people like to pretend that these sort of things don't exist, but those in the know understand.
As a white woman, I sincerely hope you are wrong about this ... the only way to stop these attitudes is to stop them when you hear this kind of talk, but I'm afraid to some extent you are correct...if people would only realize there is only one race and that is human...I have a friend who is a black woman, a high achiever, but she tells me that every day, in some small way, she will be subtly reminded that (1) she is black, and (2) she is female, and reminded in a way intended to make her feel less. What a sad realization in 2010.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Well you sure come off like a snotty, know-it-all woman on the rag, so my advice on taking a Midol still stands. And you're telling someone to grow up when you've been patting yourself on the back on how superior you think you come off and looking to start arguments with people.

It's a message board, who cares?

Now let's get back on topic, as I find you useless to converse with...
I could not agree more. What's that old saying? "Me thinks he doth protest too much"...sigh.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern living View Post
To suggest that race is not a factor in how some suburbs are perceived is absurd. That would be suggesting that white flight does not exist.

Consider Plano, which has seen a huge increase in it's minority population: from the DMN...

"Two decades ago, nearly nine out of every 10 students in Plano ISD were white. Now, the proportion of whites and minorities is about even districtwide"

"....Instead of moving to a new city, some parents have opted to stay put and just transfer their children to predominantly white schools. Data kept by the Plano school district shows that some white parents are transferring their kids with increasing frequency. The trend is most acute at schools in the older neighborhoods around downtown that have higher percentages of minorities."

Plano grew up from white flight from Dallas. And now within Plano, there's white flight to get out of the older schools with a higher Hispanic population."
from Diversity at core of Plano school boundary debate | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Latest News

So these schools were just fine...untill the mexicans and blacks came in, but obviously, race had nothing to do with it.

From MDEs Post, also from the DMN "...As more black families migrate to the suburbs, figures show white families move farther out. Bray's principal, Robert Johansen, said much of the white exodus from Cedar Hill schools took place in the early 2000s.

"I believe it was because they didn't feel like people looked like them. We still were an exemplary school. We still were performing. They were afraid that there was going to be a change," he said.
This year's preliminary TAKS scores show more than 95 percent of Bray students – black, white and Hispanic alike – passed their reading and math tests, and half or more scored at the higher "commended" level.

The schools in Plano were just fine, untill the minorities moved in. Southern suburbs were just fine, untill the 2000 when all those blacks started moving in (despite the fact that their incomes were higher and they were more educated...based on the rise on median incomes)

Sure, race has nothing to do with it
What an obnoxious post. Watch it, your Confederate Flag is showing.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:25 PM

[What kind of state would not only elect GW as governor twice, president twice (what was it, like 10 minute until they declared him the winner in Texas), and then let him live here??? I'm just sayin'...[/quote]

No kidding! I'm right there with you! If I could afford to live in California, I would. So instead, I try to seek out people who hold the same values as me...and personally, I think diversity and understanding is way over due. White people (of which I am one) who want to separate themselves from any other race might as well go found an island all to themselves because like it or not, no amount of money is going to give you what you want. Other people's money spends just as good and you guys all need to just get over it. Sigh..I knew I shouldn't have gotten into this conversation...

Old 06-25-2010, 10:48 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,003,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
Whatever. Hey, the Tea Party called and want you to come join them.

Hey,whatever.I could care less about the opinion of someone whose best response to nothing but facts being presented is "whatever".LOL.

"Whatever"= I don't like your post,but have no facts of my own to dispute yours,so I'll just try to label you a redneck conservative and dismiss your facts with a lame "whatever".

For the record,I supported Kerry and Obama in the last 2 elections.Put that and your Tea Party comment in a pipe and smoke it.

Any other false and unfounded dumb@ss assumptions you'd like to throw out there?

Last edited by lifertexan; 06-25-2010 at 11:12 PM..

Old 06-26-2010, 07:46 AM

115 posts, read 248,394 times
I am just utterly amazed at what this thread have grown into. However, I have visited Cedar Hill and the surrounding areas and Cedar Hill is beautiful. The northern area has some beautiful neighborhoods as well. However, after driving back and forth and considering my job location, I have decided on a property in the High Pointe community. I thank you all and respect everyones opinion but some of the comments were just plain unnecessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas