Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 02:16 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,446,812 times

Advertisements

St. Anthony's isn't the top school in Dayton, but it's a good school. If I had to send kids to school in Dayton, it would be one I would be okay with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 03:32 PM

14,673 posts, read 14,635,860 times
There may be other voucher programs, but this is the one offered by the state of Ohio, and it's only given to those who live in districts served by "eligible" (i.e. failing) schools.
EdChoice Scholarship Program | Ohio Department of Education

Old 10-11-2014, 10:02 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,158,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOK123 View Post
Thank you all for the advice. Weatherphotographer, I appreciate your opinion you are not the first to say that to us BUT we are excited to move and staying is not even an option! Moving to the suburbs would be our last choice. I know they are nice, it's just not the right fit for our family-at least not at this time. We typically spend our time at city parks (kid and dog parks), farmers markets, walking, local shopping and local restaurants. I am not a fan of big malls, chain restaurants, newer houses etc...that is all great for a lot of people but just not our style.

We will be spending the weekend there soon to do some more exploring. Does anyone live in Historic South park (LOVE the old houses), thoughts? I have been to the website a few times but it's hard to judge an area from a website. Belmont and Patterson Park are also on our list to check out.

Our kids are still young-our oldest will start K next year. If we do decided to live in the city limits has anyone tried the private schools and vouchers? I called St. Anthony's, and was told we would get vouchers if we live in the city? I don't know anything about vouchers or this school so another opinion on that would be great! It is a shame about the school system.

I'm sure I will come up with more questions over the next few months!
Given all of this, I think you are looking at a great set of neighborhoods. I'd also have to disagree with the common opinion in the thread so far and say that you are making a good decision. There are a lot of advantages of being within city limits, and I don't think it's possible to meet what you want in the suburbs.

I'd consider Grafton Hill, Wright-Dunbar, and McPherson Town as well. All of these neighborhoods are family-oriented. And they have a lot of nice houses, and are within easy walking distance to downtown and the bike trails, which lead to Island Metropark, Triangle Park, and a lot of other nice parks. If you are interested in a larger lot with mature trees / park-like setting and are willing to sacrifice your Walkscore somewhat, Deweese Park would be a great place to look too.

But overall your best fit is probably South Park, IF you are comfortable with a slightly more bohemian atmosphere like Northside. The neighborhood is very good, a lot of people are active in the community, and it's a fun place to be. Definitely would be a good place for someone looking to make new friends and get involved in their community.

It's not a traditional old-money neighborhood like Hyde Park (that type of climate doesn't really exist in city limits anymore), nor has it been revitalized for very long yet- there are still some houses in need of work, and some of its below working-class roots still pop up from block to block. So in that sense, it is not as much like Belmont which has been pretty stable for its entire history or Patterson Park which has been prosperous for its entire existence. But too many factors are coming together to prevent South Park from fading, and I think it will be a safe bet for years to come. This, paired with the fact that it is a very young neighborhood with a lot of younger single professionals, married couples, and young families makes me think its probably the most ideal place for you.

Here's a couple people (community boosters, yes, but they are great info resources as well) that I suggest you contact if you are very serious about moving to South Park:
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/theresa-gasper/7/935/335
https://www.linkedin.com/in/esrati
https://www.linkedin.com/profile/vie...cmpt%3Aprimary

As well as reading this:
Why South Park property values rise – Esrati
(Dave Esrati has a polarizing political blog and some very strong opinions, but this a good write-up on what's happening in South Park).

Good luck!

Old 10-11-2014, 11:37 AM

Good people/families moving into the city is what will bring JT back. Other things help, and can attract the people/families, but they aren't the answer. You need families who take pride in their neighborhood and schools. That will also help the schools improve. It isn't that we have all terrible schools, but we have a lot of schools where families don't take pride in them and their children's education. This, IMO, is what brings our schools down more than anything.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:22 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,172,886 times
I spend quite a bit of time in Cincy since it has so much of what Dayton lacks...a vibrant, pro-city urban culture.

Unlike Cincy, Dayton city is pretty dead and struggling. There are maybe three or four historic districts that are viable but they all lack the activity one finds in...say..Clifton and Northside (nothing like Northside in Dayton), and there is nothing like what is going on in OTR.

Probably the equivilant of Mount Adams would be Oregon. Gentrified and now fairly affluent historic district.

If you are familiar with the east side of Cincinnati...say, the Grandin Road/Mnt Lookout/Observatory area, and Hyde Park, the equivilant area would be Oakwood and the western parts of Kettering....the Far Hills/Shroyer corridor south of Dayton proper.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:03 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,848,091 times
I object to anyone who considers the Wright-Dunbar district a "safe" or "family friendly" district. The city spent quite a lot of money restoring the strip along West Third Street, only to have it occupied by pawn shops. And every building has to have bars on the windows, if that tells you the character of the neighborhood. And if you go just a little bit off the main drag in either direction, the buildings look bombed out completely.

Here's a picture of the main drag on West Third:

But if you pan to the right, right behind the restored buildings, here's what you see instead:

Old 10-14-2014, 12:41 PM

It obviously isn't great, but you have to start somewhere. Would you have preferred they done nothing? You can't have any progress if you do nothing.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:46 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,158,013 times
^and vacant buildings =\= crime. They can help crime exist, but having a vacant structure isn't going to cause crime by itself. That's like saying schools cause school shootings. Schools are needed for school shootings, but they by themselves don't CAUSE school shootings.

Anyways, Wright-Dunbar is one of the safest neighborhoods in the city. It's safer than South Park, downtown, or the OD, a simple check of the crime map will prove it.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:11 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,848,091 times
I used to go down that road all the time back when I had a friend who lived in Westwood who had no car. He has a car now. Now he meets us at the Greene.

The only reason I've had since to visit the Wright Dunbar district is if I'm passing through West Third on my way to LKQ, the junkyard at the corner of Gettysburg and James McGee. My car is supercharged. It's fun to hear the blower whine echo down that empty road at night with the buildings on both sides when I step on it

Old 10-14-2014, 04:59 PM

7,077 posts, read 8,937,659 times
If I had to choose between living in Dayton or Cincinnati I would pick Dayton in a heartbeat. There are a lot of people into Dayton bashing but there is a lot about Dayton I like.

If schools are a big concern you could live in Kettering, although there may not be a lot of homes that are historic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton