Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 10:33 AM

81 posts, read 100,090 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I'm considering a retirement move and I've heard good things about Kettering. However, I can't find a map that shows a solid boundary line between Kettering and Dayton. I'm also looking at homes on the major real estate search engines to get a feel for prices/housing stock. But when I enter "Kettering" I get a mix of Kettering AND Dayton homes.

Isn't Kettering strictly due south of Dayton? Does anyone know why these sites are giving me all these Dayton homes? Finally, I'm looking to be in the safest area(s) of Kettering even if the prices are a bit higher. What areas should I look at and what areas should I avoid? I'm considering both single family and multi-family housing.

Thank you everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 10:53 AM

51 posts, read 59,858 times
Kettering sort of wraps around the south and eastern edge of Dayton. Any of the areas adjacent to Oakwood are pretty much fine, and I'd say so is most stuff close to Far Hills Avenue as you head south. I know people say Kettering has "bad areas" but honestly none of Kettering has really stuck me as particularly terrible.

Old 03-01-2017, 10:59 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,754,869 times
One reason Dayton and Kettering get confused is because the zip code is Dayton's zip code and Kettering mail (as well as that of other places) should be addressed as: Whatever Street, Dayton, Ohio.

Old 03-02-2017, 02:42 AM

908 posts, read 1,419,366 times
A lot of computer algorithms read any zip code starting with 454 as a Dayton address, even though a lot of suburbs also have zip codes beginning with 454, including some suburbs that aren't even in the same county. This is why I don't like to buy things online unless I'm getting a really great deal because I get charged with extra sales tax because the shopping algorithms think I live in Montgomery County when I don't.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdtdemon View Post
A lot of computer algorithms read any zip code starting with 454 as a Dayton address, even though a lot of suburbs also have zip codes beginning with 454, including some suburbs that aren't even in the same county. This is why I don't like to buy things online unless I'm getting a really great deal because I get charged with extra sales tax because the shopping algorithms think I live in Montgomery County when I don't.

The first five numbers of a zip code identify a post office building. The last four identify a place serviced by that building.

Old 03-02-2017, 11:17 AM

34 posts, read 39,270 times
Its all Dayton, a boundary line doesn't stop crime. Now taxes are different story, they all stink.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:52 PM

81 posts, read 100,090 times
Thanks everyone. Very helpful info!

Old 03-04-2017, 03:44 AM

908 posts, read 1,419,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
The first five numbers of a zip code identify a post office building. The last four identify a place serviced by that building.
That used to be true, but with the way things have been consolidated, a lot of crazy stuff happens with computer algorithms and the USPS. I worked on the 2010 Census, and can't even begin to list all of the different ways that people didn't get their census forms in the mail, and that's not even counting the Franklin debacle, where we had to go to every house and count ourselves because it being in Montgomery County but being having its routing services consolidated with the Middletown Post Office (which was not only in another County, but in a different multi-county office zone) led to them never getting their census forms.

Old 03-04-2017, 06:21 AM

Quote:
That used to be true, but with the way things have been consolidated, a lot of crazy stuff happens with computer algorithms and the USPS. I worked on the 2010 Census, and can't even begin to list all of the different ways that people didn't get their census forms in the mail, and that's not even counting the Franklin debacle, where we had to go to every house and count ourselves because it being in Montgomery County but being having its routing services consolidated with the Middletown Post Office (which was not only in another County, but in a different multi-county office zone) led to them never getting their census forms.
Well, admittedly I may have over-simplified the statement, but I think it's close to the goal.

I still remember many years ago they closed the post office building at Main and Ridge and carried the north central area (zones 05 and 15) out of Forest Park, so that was two numbers for one building. As I recall, that was also done going west if not elsewhere.

And, if you want it more complicated, I'm under the impression that both 454-- (Dayton) and 452-- (Cincinnati) and in fact anything "45" lands in Cincinnati first, but so does 410-- which is Northern Kentucky ... except I read somewhere that some Dayton stuff is now handled in Columbus ("43") .

Satellite maps still show what looks like that impressive (magnificent?) building at Third and Wilkinson that was once the main post office. It's outdated. Well, guess what, the one in Covington, Kentucky is still in use as a post office, so change didn't happen everywhere.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:13 PM

2,662 posts, read 1,379,439 times
Quote:
Franklin is in Warren County
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton