Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2017, 02:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,289 times

Advertisements

I see lots of info about the suburbs on here but if you had to live within the Dayton city limits and price was not a factor, what area would you choose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2017, 04:56 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,163,629 times
Great question!

For me it would depend on my stage in life.

As a young single person, South Park, the Oregon District, and downtown in one of the apt complexes would be my top picks.

If you were engaged or newly married I’d say South Park, St Anne’s Hill, Grafton Hill, downtown in a condo/townhome, Belmont, Patterson Park, or Wright Dunbar.

If kids were part of the picture I’d say Rubicon, McPherson Town, South Park, Wright-Dunbar, Patterson Park, Deweese Park, or Grafton Hill.

For empty nesters and retirees I’d say downtown for sure, along with wright Dunbar, rubicon, Oregon district, st Anne’s Hill, Huffman, South Park, deweese park, Belmont, and walnut hills

If you are looking for a neighborhood with awesome houses and are willing to tolerate rough edges you’ve got to check out five oaks, Dayton view/upper Dayton view, mt Vernon, riverdale, Huffman, hearthstone, linden heights, and university row/Cornell heights.

———————

To answer your question though, given the fact I’m in my 20s and single I’d most prefer renting downtown, but if I were to buy a house I’d go for a grand dame in five oaks, a shotgun in South Park, a Victorian in St Anne’s Hill, a cape cod in Patterson Park, or a craftsman in Belmont. I LOVE the houses in Dayton View but even I don’t know enough to feel comfortable buying there.... some areas take more research than others, for the most part everything I listed is a safe bet.

Good luck!!

Old 12-04-2017, 10:06 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,289,909 times
The Oregon District or downtown. as noted above, Dayton has some really great architecture.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:56 PM

2 posts, read 2,289 times
Thanks for your replies! I do have a 3 year old so proximity to parks is important for me. Any ideas on where to find a map or location descriptions of the neighborhoods mentioned?

Old 12-04-2017, 09:09 PM

51 posts, read 59,858 times
You can find the official City of Dayton neighborhood map
at this link:
https://www.daytonohio.gov/DocumentCenter/View/326

Note that some of the neighborhoods SWOH mentioned aren't on the map. Wright-Dunbar (where I live) is a subset of the Five Points neighborhood, and Rubicon is part of the University Park neighborhood. As for parks, all of them are close to the riverfront trails and Riverscape MetroPark, but the Oregon District and South Park both have dedicated playground equipment at their neighborhood parks. That said, any of the neighborhoods that have been mentioned are great for young kids!

Old 12-05-2017, 04:00 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,656,423 times
If you want to live in Dayton proper, I'd choose St Anne's Hill. Wonderful neighborhood full of restored Victorian/Italianate housing, a tight neighborhood association, close proximity to the park on the corner of Fifth and Keowee, and their own co-op brewpub!
The Belmont & Walnut Hills neighborhoods in the southern part of the city is a nice family-oriented area with several parks in the general area as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
View detailed profiles of: