Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2020, 09:53 AM

47 posts, read 91,173 times

Advertisements

Hello friends. I decide to accept a job offer in Springfield, OH. However, when I was comparing Springfield to its surrounding areas such as Enon and South Vienna, I noticed that there is a big difference in income tax. For example, Springfield has an income tax rate of 5.5% while the income tax rate for Enon and South Vienna is only 3.5%. If I work in Springfield but live in one of those surrounding areas with a lower income tax, do I need to pay income tax for both my residential and working places? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2020, 06:27 PM

7,077 posts, read 8,936,385 times
City income tax in Springfield is 2%.

City of Springfield Income Tax Rate

If you live in another city you will have to file where you live and you will get credit for taxes paid to Springfield but some cities will only give partial credit and may have you pay 0.5%. That is how it is in Lebanon now that we have all these new people living here that don’t work in town.

Old 03-11-2020, 11:15 AM

13,646 posts, read 9,701,990 times
Townships don't charge local income tax; nearly all "cities" do (local exceptions are Beavercreek and Bellbrook). Townships can however charge "school district income tax", if the township belongs to the school-system of the host "city". For example, the City of Xenia charges a local income tax and a school district tax. Xenia Township, which is a rural expanse around Xenia, has no local income tax, but charges the same school district tax.

If you work in a taxing jurisdiction, but don't live there, then you'll owe local income tax to said jurisdiction, on your earnings there. For example, last year I did some work for the U of Dayton, in the city of Dayton. But I live in a township. I owed income-tax on my earnings at the U, but not on my other earnings, the latter having been earned elsewhere.

The lowest-cost arrangement is to live and work in a township or a non-taxing city. For instance, live and work in Beavercreek.

It is sometimes true that a higher-taxing jurisdiction offers better services, stronger schools and thus higher property values. The shining example is Oakwood. But more often, taxes are high because the local earnings-base is low. Kids still have to go to school, and somebody has to pay for that. Services may be sparse, and school-quality mediocre as best, despite taxes being high. An example is Xenia City. I would imagine that Springfield is much like Xenia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton