Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 10:18 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,518,718 times

Advertisements

I would like to hear from forum members regarding red light cameras in DE (and other states). I have one older friend who has been ticketed and he no longer visits DE.

I have also read that in some areas private companies set up these cameras and receive half of the revenue with the other half going to local government. I have also read that timing set has been an issue in some cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 02:34 PM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
I would like to hear from forum members regarding red light cameras in DE (and other states). I have one older friend who has been ticketed and he no longer visits DE.

I have also read that in some areas private companies set up these cameras and receive half of the revenue with the other half going to local government. I have also read that timing set has been an issue in some cases.
red light cameras violations are video/photographed and sent to the violator. They don't engage unless you enter the intersection after the light has turned red.

Delaware

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NCE...ature=youtu.be

Old 06-06-2019, 02:52 PM

9,718 posts, read 14,254,577 times
Quote:

I think all of the above is BS.

Old 06-06-2019, 05:51 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,518,718 times
It's not BS. Let the thread run..

https://worldjusticeproject.org/news...-light-tickets

https://www.baltimoresun.com/marylan...516-story.html

You can Google this until the cows come home - "who owns red light cameras".

Old 06-07-2019, 01:24 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
This is interesting.

"N.J. lawmakers want to protect residents from other states’ red-light camera fines."

https://www.inquirer.com/philly/news...-20180910.html

Old 06-07-2019, 01:25 PM

829 posts, read 628,671 times
Quote:

Is it possible someone drove a vehicle registered to him somewhere in DE? Since they use tag numbers to identify the violators, it's specific to the vehicle, not the driver.

If there is any doubt, maybe your friend could request photographic evidence. I thought that was included in the citation issued in Maryland, but don't know that for a fact having never received one - not sure of the procedure in DE. If the older friend doesn't believe his vehicle was in the state, maybe he should consider appealing.

Old 06-07-2019, 02:03 PM

9,718 posts, read 14,254,577 times
Here's a DelDot Link that is very comprehensive and answers all questions.

https://deldot.gov/Programs/red_light/

Old 06-18-2019, 06:50 AM

307 posts, read 296,754 times
Red light cameras are a scam and actually lead to more accidents. I've actually worked on the technology side with California-based companies who operate systems on the east coast to support their software storage systems. The "right to collect" fee is given to a private company so they can ticket the person, collect a fee, and cut a portion to whatever contract that district's representative set up. The private company often takes the lion's share of the fine too, funneling money away that should be used for public programs to fix traffic problems and fund police into the pockets of an out of state (even out of country) CEO. Just look at how poorly the roads are maintained here. This is money that shouldn't leave your community. Its just like when they sell the toll collection rights for a highway to a private company. I dont understand why the residents of this state are subjected to the fees levied on the tourists. These private companies are notorious for setting up millisecond delays to increase their statistical capture rate and they bank on people's compliance to not fight the fine.

If they want to fix traffic the problem here, then enforce the speeding and aggressive driving laws. I live next to a 35mph road that every drives 55mph on. I literally get pushed down the road, passed on the shoulder and honked at for doing up to +10mph. I also bike a lot in the area here and dont get how brazen drivers are about their pot smoke. This aint Portland, but about every 5th car that passes me on the road smells like weed in a blatantly obvious way. Do people here not understand PC searches in a traffic stop?

Basically, red light cameras are allowed here because the local citizens are uninformed and/or dont care about their rights. We had them where I used to live, but the townsfolk would not have it and forced the district to remove them all because they can. They do nothing to enhance the safety of an intersection.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:12 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,910,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by udelslayer View Post
I also bike a lot in the area here and dont get how brazen drivers are about their pot smoke. This aint Portland, but about every 5th car that passes me on the road smells like weed in a blatantly obvious way. Do people here not understand PC searches in a traffic stop?
I have noticed this as well. However, we've noticed it's REALLY bad in Ocean City, MD.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:47 AM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
This is interesting.

"N.J. lawmakers want to protect residents from other states’ red-light camera fines."

https://www.inquirer.com/philly/news...-20180910.html
cops can get that info from insurance companies, they don't need cooperation from other jurisdictions. The red light camera company servicing the account can then send the fine to the registered owner and if not paid, send it to collections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware