Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2011, 03:11 PM

2 posts, read 4,016 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to DE, and looking in the Brandywine Hundred area (I commute to Wilmington). Two areas we're looking at are Chalfonte and Green Acres. Chalfonte seems more upscale but Green Acres has retro charm. Does anyone know these areas? Anything to watch out for? How are schools? They both have HOA's - any horror stories?

Thanks a bunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 03:29 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,793,105 times
I live right near Green Acres, probably 2 miles away and Chalfonte may be 3 miles away from where I live on Baynard Blvd. I would go with Chalfonte for the schools. Chalfonte has a really good feeder pattern I believe, you can check it on the Brandywine School District website. I think for elementary its Brandywood, then for midde its Springer and high school is Concord. That is the prefered feeder pattern in the Brandywine school district. I would say that Green Acres is much more diverse with African Americans and alot of Jewish residents as well. I don't think either development will be packed with kids though.

As for the houses in Green Acres, remember for selling that you would need someone to like "retro" style homes, goofy looking if you ask me but what do I know. Where the homes in Chalfonte are very typical.

Last edited by James420; 07-06-2011 at 03:30 PM.. Reason: s

Old 07-06-2011, 03:39 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,912,548 times
I attended Brandywood Elementary back in the late 70's/early 80's--good school

Old 07-06-2011, 07:08 PM

700 posts, read 1,819,650 times
Brandywood Elm for me back in the early 70's. Started there when it first opened in 66 and puked the first day due to the paint smell! The old Hanby school in Chalfonte is now going to be the elementary and the Jr high school for the area. Don't know what will happen to Brandwood Elm. I remember when Hanby was built. Afterwards used to climb up onto the gym roof, 2 stories to get tennis balls. Shimmied up between the walls and the window walls.
Grew up on the other side of the field from Hanby. Used to ride dirt bikes back there and do 'other things' of which I'm sure no longer happen.
I still live within a mile from there. Can't help with the HOA. Still decent last time I rode through a few days ago.
Don't rule out Brandywood, the other side of Grubb Rd.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:11 PM

604 posts, read 2,011,569 times
Depending on the ages of your children amke sure you see some children in the similar age group before deciding on a development ... that is more imp. in Brandywine Hd. - a lot of empty nesters.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:58 AM

2 posts, read 4,016 times
Good info, thanks! My wife and I have been exploring the Brandywine school district site and weighing our options, looks like we're leaning toward Chalfonte.

BTW, where did the name "Brandywine Hundred" come from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware