Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2013, 08:07 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,191,418 times

Advertisements

I just thought it might interest some folk would live in heavy snow areas and those of us who remember when. Thursday we gott a predicted snow fall of less than 2 inches.Many school districts in slower/lower closed down. Friday night we had another 2 inch or less prediction. Before a flake of snow they were cancelling all after school activities and closing the indoor pool and swimming lessons on Saturday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 09:16 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,263,903 times
I thought the same thing. I figure it's the lawyers who don't want the districts to get sued just case something happens to folks traveling to/from school or an event.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:42 PM

9,725 posts, read 14,269,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
I thought the same thing. I figure it's the lawyers who don't want the districts to get sued just case something happens to folks traveling to/from school or an event.
I think you're right, jm02.
There has been an unusual number of school bus accidents this past year.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:07 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,350,064 times
I live in the Buffalo, NY area so I'm sure you can guess reading this is pretty funny to me. But I'd love to move to DE

Old 01-28-2013, 12:36 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,427,256 times
Smile same thing in CT

Last week, we had a little snow overnight - I cleared if off my car with just the wipers. I was surprised to learn that school was first delayed for 2 hours, then cancelled for the day. If they open, even late, they get credit for the day; not the case if they close. Today they are dismissing early for the same reason. The snow is sticking on grassy areas, but the streets are just wet. When they close schools in my neighborhood, the kids ride around the neighborhood on dirt bikes, ATV's and snowmobiles - less safe than being on a school bus or walking a couple of blocks. I remember, back in the day, lots of suspense about if school would close. It had to be a big storm and we walked to school, a little over a mile.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:17 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,125,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
Last week, we had a little snow overnight - I cleared if off my car with just the wipers. I was surprised to learn that school was first delayed for 2 hours, then cancelled for the day. If they open, even late, they get credit for the day; not the case if they close. Today they are dismissing early for the same reason. The snow is sticking on grassy areas, but the streets are just wet. When they close schools in my neighborhood, the kids ride around the neighborhood on dirt bikes, ATV's and snowmobiles - less safe than being on a school bus or walking a couple of blocks. I remember, back in the day, lots of suspense about if school would close. It had to be a big storm and we walked to school, a little over a mile.

All up hill too!!! LOL. Here on LI they are already into the spring break days due to Sandy. We are mid island but had no power so I would imagine the district will be very judicious in snow days ass they don't want to have to extend the school year.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:25 AM

9,725 posts, read 14,269,161 times
Big, fluffy snow flakes this morning are coming down fast in Kent County, and we have a "winter wonderland" here!

I've been out and about doing what I do, and will go back out to work in about an hour. Roads are o.k. but be careful, and watch for the big orange State of Delaware salt trucks! They mean business!

Old 02-01-2013, 07:48 AM

297 posts, read 743,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
[/b]

All up hill too!!! LOL. Here on LI they are already into the spring break days due to Sandy. We are mid island but had no power so I would imagine the district will be very judicious in snow days ass they don't want to have to extend the school year.
In Appo SD for sure, not positive about others, the kids don't have to make up school days when a State of Emergency was declared. Since Sandy was a State of Emergency, they don't make up that time.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:58 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,125,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bac0s View Post
In Appo SD for sure, not positive about others, the kids don't have to make up school days when a State of Emergency was declared. Since Sandy was a State of Emergency, they don't make up that time.
The mandated 180 school days can be shortened by the governor, if necessary, but there were so many districts that lost 10 days or more, mine included, so it was determined that it was too large a chunk of the school year and it had to be made up. Between built in snow days and a day off here and there we are making up 4 days of the 10 lsot.

Considering the educational level of the US compared to other countries I think it was a good but tough decision. The really sad part is that many teachers have lost deposits on vacations. Families too, but, most that I know are going to keep the vacation plans and let the kids miss a day or two of school, it is at their discretion. The teachers were told they MUST show up and many probably didn't take trip cancellation insurance.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:29 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,535,081 times
When I was growing up in lower Delaware a long time ago, the prevailing wisdom was that there were only 3 snow plows in Sussex county! If it makes you feel any better, where I live in PA, they also often close schools prematurely but up here we do get more significant snowfall and we have many narrow hilly roads that are not well maintained.

I'll never forget our first snow in upstate NY. We had moved there in the summer from Dewey Beach and my husband was taking classes at a local college. It was November and when we awoke there was an inch or two of snow on the ground. I turned on the radio and listened carefully for the school closings. Finally after a long wait, the DJ said, "Well, the first snow of the season!" And that was it! Nothing delayed or cancelled. It proceeded to snow at least once a week after that until by March the snow on the sides of the road was so high it made it seem that you were driving in snow tunnels.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware