Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2013, 10:51 PM

2 posts, read 3,880 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, My name's Omar and i'm a 29 yr old single guy who might move to Dover for a really good job offer at a hospital. I tried searching and didn't come up with anything I thought was really great in terms of places to live. My work contract is for 12 months and maybe more if I decide I want to stay there, but I can't figure out where the most modern/urban/contemporary style apartments or town-homes would be? Everything I'm seeing listed is showing old looking kitchen appliances from the 80's with dirty looking cabinets...am I missing something here or is that the norm for around Dover? I saw some nice apartments up towards Wilmington but that seems like too far of a commute. Can anyone chime in with any advice?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 03:39 PM

319 posts, read 504,652 times
Hello Omar,

While I am not familiar with Dover or Dover area, I can offer experiences of a friend of mine concerning
finding a nice apartment. A friend of mine who works in Dover rented what he thought was a nice rental (townhouse)
that was relatively new, had great space, dishwasher, washer-dryer etc. What made the situation bad were
a number of the neighbors concerning issues involving police responses.

Anyway, from my friend's experience, I can offer advice to also consider, in your definition of nice, what
the neighborhood is really like. My friend moved to another area of Dover that had older homes that turned
out to be a much nicer area.

I tend to consider the neighborhood first, then the specific housing second. Examples include
- are people out walking/jogging at sunset? (a litmus test for safety)
- are neighbors friendly or greet each other
- can you hear loud music at night (visit your perspective new neighborhood on a Friday or Saturday night)
- check the police logs (public record) for activity concerning the area of interest. Are there crime issues
in that area? Property crime? Drug activity? etc?

Ask someone in the organization in which you will be working about various neighborhoods in the Dover
area.

Hopefully this is helpful.

Good luck with your search.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:23 AM

84 posts, read 206,428 times
I have a bunch of co workers who live in Cannon Mills (apartments) and The Village of Westover (townhomes mostly I believe). I also know of some who live in the Village of Blue Hen. Most of us at my place of work are mid 20s to early 30s, which is right in your age range as well.

It's worth it to look outside of Dover as well (Smyrna, Camden, Wyoming, Magnolia) though you will find a lot more single family homes, there are a few townhomes in some of those areas.

Definitely check out the neighborhoods, as soon areas of Dover are not very good, but others are just fine. Once you get outside of Dover proper you are usually ok safety wise.

Wilmington is definitely a hike from Dover. The Dover nightlife isn't all that thrilling from what I hear (I don't go out all that often), but you do have the beaches 45 minutes-1 hour away and Dewey is the "spot" for our age range.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware