Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2014, 09:15 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,192,148 times

Advertisements

Legislation has been introduced to make bicycling the State Sport. http://wgmd.com/common/more.php?m=49...&post_id=90201 I am sure this is coming from upstate politician who do not know how dangerous sharing the road with a bicyclist can be on our downstate curvy,narrow , back roads. I am not againt bicycling. I think it has it's place in the parks and on the trails. You would only have to come around a sharp curve on a two lane road and see a cyclist and an oncoming car once to understand what I mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 02:39 AM

405 posts, read 676,407 times
Great. If they make it an official sport then maybe they will make some Official Rules and actually enforce them. For instance, all those big groups of cyclists stay in single file instead of riding three-wide on those curvy back roads longnecker speaks of.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:35 AM

9,727 posts, read 14,271,125 times
Going north on Rt. 13 towards Dover Downs, I became aware of a Painted Bike Lane. Who ????? In their right mind, would ride a bike between the three Rt. 13 lanes and the turning lane into Dover Downs? It's almost like the state has set up a suicide route for bikers. It's crazy!

I like bikes too, but there's a place for them, and it's NOT in busy traffic patterns.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:59 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,913,506 times
^^Wow, rdlr....never noticed that before. I wouldn't want to ride my bike there!

As stated previously, my husband and I are avid bicyclists...we don't wear the little spandex outfits or have fancy bikes though. I will say that it's getting better in my area as far as being bicycle friendly. Ocean View has made bike lanes and sidewalks where there weren't any before, and Fred Hudson Road (we ride this once often to get to route one) now has a very nice bike/walking paved lane far enough away from all the traffic on that road. The Fenwick area now has many bike lanes after they did all that road construction (we ride out that way often to do our "loop"). Ocean View will as well after they complete the route 26 project. I have seen a major improvement in my area as far as it being safer for bikers. Many of the people who visit here during the summer are also avid bicyclists (people from DC and surrounding areas), and lucky for us many of them know how to be respectful towards bicyclists. Of course, there are still a few who are rude and have their heads stuck up somewhere the sun doesn't shine, but it's pretty obvious these people don't do much bicycling or any sort of exercise (trying to say that nicely).

I do wish there was more of a shoulder on my ride to Holts Landing and back, but that's more rural and I suppose no shoulder is to be expected. However, I see many other people riding their bikes out there so it doesn't seem to be stopping anyone. I will admit....it is very nice to live in an area where bicycling is considered popular because this makes drivers more accepting and aware. I know that I am always on the lookout for bicyclists and people on motorcycles....because I ride a bike and I used to ride a motorcycle.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:30 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,192,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Going north on Rt. 13 towards Dover Downs, I became aware of a Painted Bike Lane. Who ????? In their right mind, would ride a bike between the three Rt. 13 lanes and the turning lane into Dover Downs? It's almost like the state has set up a suicide route for bikers. It's crazy!

I like bikes too, but there's a place for them, and it's NOT in busy traffic patterns.
Same situation on Rt 24 at Long neck Rd. Bike lane runs between traffic lanes and rt turn lane. I believe posted speed there is 40mph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware