Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2015, 10:27 AM

3 posts, read 7,066 times

Advertisements

Starting to think about relocating for retirement to the southern Delaware area from New York metro area. I continue to get emails from a number of builders in the area and was wondering who the best builders are as we would like to pursue new construction for our home. We are not sure if we will want to live in a 55+ or active retiree community without age restriction. Some of the builders I have been in contact with are Schell Brothers, Insight, Brookfield Residential, Miller Smith and Christopher companies, Ryan Homes and McKee. I have heard some negatives about Ryan Homes. I just want to know which ons to avoid and why...any help you can provide would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 11:31 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
Have you searched the threads relative to these builders? There is a wealth of information there and you will have to form your own opinion but the reading is quite interesting. Use the top search bar.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:32 PM

374 posts, read 517,498 times
Nuts is spot on; if you do a search of the builders' names on the Delaware forum you will find a ton of opinions, and many of them differ greatly. So in the end, I'd recommend that you take all those opinions as a data point, and then visit the different builders, communities, and their homes and see what works best for you.

My wife and I retired to southern Delaware (Lewes) from Chicago this past year, and we love it. But, every area is different and of course you'll be comparing several places (and states) against your lifestyle and life stage needs and preferences. As with most things in life, every area has its pluses and minuses.

Hope you enjoy the journey! We found it to be very fun.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:08 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,060 times
If I could afford any builder down here it would be RPB in a heart beat. Building a home is a huge job really, so many factors come into play besides all the stress, and believe me there is a lot of it, he would be my choice because I know what he demands from his sub contractors. I have a hard time believing you could find any better. Besides, he's one of the few builders down here that doesn't use illegal immigrants.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:20 AM

23 posts, read 52,087 times
You will love this area! My wife and I have built several homes and I can tell you unequivocally to stay away from Ryan Homes and Insight Homes! If we had to do it all over again, we would have built in Heritage Shores or Independence.

Old 10-09-2015, 10:40 AM

242 posts, read 231,602 times
gwa3.....see what I mean? Anyway, research, talk to home owners in neighborhoods and make your own decision based upon testimony of those that you meet yourself. We have found people in Delaware are friendly as you drive around checking out builders.

Old 10-12-2015, 02:35 PM

Hi James420..sorry I don't know the lingo yet; but which builder is RPB and are they a builder that builds on your lot or in one of these communities??

Old 10-12-2015, 04:27 PM

374 posts, read 517,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwa3 View Post
Hi James420..sorry I don't know the lingo yet; but which builder is RPB and are they a builder that builds on your lot or in one of these communities??
He is referring to Russ Palmer Builders. Here is a link to their website.

Welcome to the Home of Your Delaware Custom Home Builder | Russ Palmer Builders

Old 10-16-2015, 02:20 PM

Thank you EnjoyEveryDay..I checked out the link and the houses look very nice and have they offer a big selection of styles and sizes...We will have to check them out when we visit Lewes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: