Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 08:40 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,352,505 times

Advertisements

Inasmuch as I will be looking for a small single with a yard and COS is more important to me than being very near the beach, I was pleasantly surprised to see some absolutely CHARMING homes in this quaint little town in the low $100's. What do you hear about it as far as quality of life? Can't find much out there other than knowing that it's the county seat. Hope I'm allowed to post this AS AN EXAMPLE since it illustrates what I'm looking for in my price range. Seriously, would you LOOK at this beauty? Any comments about the town?

Thanks in advance

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...t/10_zm/0_mmm/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 08:56 AM

No opinions? I find the place (on paper) rather intriguing since here in SE PA the county seats are incredibly expensive, i.e., Media in Delaware County and West Chester in Chester County. A little house like the one I've posted above would go for the high 200s or low 300s in Media. So I guess I was just wondering if perhaps there is something lacking the the Sussex couunty seat.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:36 AM

6,153 posts, read 4,527,770 times
I don't live there and only recently have come to live in DE, so my opinion would be an outsider's opinion formed on the basis of only a few trips to Georgetown for various things. There are parts that look lovely, like the house you linked to. There are a lot of houses undergoing renovation, or so it seemed to me. The downtown with the courthouses and lawyers' offices is nice enough and has some nice places to eat and shop. But as many houses as are being re-done, there are at least as many that need it. So it looks to me like it was somewhat rundown and is being built back up.

There is a Mexican neighborhood a block or two over from the actual center of downtown and it's 100% ethnic. I used the laundromat there and was stared at, being the only non-Mexican in the place. But I was glad to shop the markets there and find groceries I was used to seeing before moving to DE. Outside of the downtown area, what I've seen looks on a par with most towns away from the beach: country, pleasant, pretty.

As to crime or traffic or anything really important, I wouldn't be any help. Route 113 is the largest road nearby and while it often has a lot of traffic for this area, coming from Philly I think it would be a pleasant change at the worst of times.

Old 08-08-2017, 01:42 PM

Thanks NYC refugee! I appreciate the feedback.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:16 PM

80 posts, read 145,985 times
You really should visit Georgetown to see if it suits you. That area is decent, but you'll need to see if the town overall fits with what you're looking for. Georgetown has changed a lot since the 1970s-80s when my grandparents lived there. You might also want to look at Milton/Ellendale and Milford, which might have houses in that price range. Good luck!

Old 08-09-2017, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfx216 View Post
You really should visit Georgetown to see if it suits you. That area is decent, but you'll need to see if the town overall fits with what you're looking for. Georgetown has changed a lot since the 1970s-80s when my grandparents lived there. You might also want to look at Milton/Ellendale and Milford, which might have houses in that price range. Good luck!
Another response! Thank you, kfx! I was beginning to think that there was some type of "cloak of secrecy" surrounding the County Seat, as DE folks are normally so open and helpful. So it seems like that little town doesn't really have the cache or perhaps economic health (?) of what one thinks of within a town center. Thought of Milton and Milford, but dead chicken smell, as many have attested, would really put me off.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:57 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,914,012 times
Agree that you should visit. It has really changed since I attended high school there back in the early 90's. There are decent sections, but there are also sections to avoid and crime has really gone up there. I wouldn't worry as much if you don't have kids, but do avoid the Wal Mart unless you go there early in the morning. I know most Wal Marts are scary, but this one really takes the cake.

That is a really cute house though and a really good price as well. I know some people who live on Elizabeth Street which is a better area...if that helps any. It's near the circle.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
Agree that you should visit. It has really changed since I attended high school there back in the early 90's. There are decent sections, but there are also sections to avoid and crime has really gone up there. I wouldn't worry as much if you don't have kids, but do avoid the Wal Mart unless you go there early in the morning. I know most Wal Marts are scary, but this one really takes the cake.

That is a really cute house though and a really good price as well. I know some people who live on Elizabeth Street which is a better area...if that helps any. It's near the circle.
Thanks, beachliz! I often think of the County Seats as the most thriving towns in the county, as is the case in SE PA with Delaware County, Chester County, and I believe, Bucks County. But then there's Montgomery County with the highly-decaying Norristown as its CS. So I guess it goes both ways. Anyway, when I visit in mid-September, I will do a drive-through. Thanks again.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:07 PM

80 posts, read 145,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Another response! Thank you, kfx! I was beginning to think that there was some type of "cloak of secrecy" surrounding the County Seat, as DE folks are normally so open and helpful. So it seems like that little town doesn't really have the cache or perhaps economic health (?) of what one thinks of within a town center. Thought of Milton and Milford, but dead chicken smell, as many have attested, would really put me off.
You know there's a chicken plant right in Georgetown, right? It is a little ways from the house you're considering.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:22 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,219,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Unless you happen to be right on top of the plant I "dead chicken smell to be a factor. I may be missing something but "dead chicken smell in Milton
I would nto be comfortable in many in town areas of Georgetown after dark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware