Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2022, 04:30 PM

1 posts, read 6,564 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

A very exciting time in my life has approached where I am gearing up to rent an apartment in DE. I am from Delco, so not too far but I want to cover my bases before I bite the bullet and start putting my name down for waiting lists on apartments.

I will be working in Wilmington come the approaching summer, but I will be moving to DE in June. So while I am very ahead of the ball game, I want to know what is out there and would fit for myself and my partner once we find the complex we like and move.

We have looked at a few complexes in downtown Wilmington and are pretty pleased with Market St. It seems pretty nice, but I want to make sure I am not doing something nuts and want to hear opinions on the street.

We both have cars and will be paying for parking in one of the lots (most likely Colonial or the courthouse). We have looked at MKT, Rodney Square, The Saville and Christina Landing. We really love Rodney Square and MKT. Christina landing was really disappointing. Their $1700 one bedroom unit literally was against the parking garage. The kitchen was easily 25 years old and it had popcorn ceilings. Building was fancy like the Ritz but not worth the price tag. Saville was renovated and is very unique, but the renovations were extremely shoddy and it looks like maintenance doesn't really exist. Super dirty. Smelled like weed, they wanted $2300 for a two bedroom. I almost fainted.

MKT was the largest unit we saw, not super fancy but it had great options and the price was very reasonable. They only had a handful of open units, most are fully leased out. Rodney Square was really nice for the simple fact that the building is secure, the units look really nicely cleaned and they have unrenovated (basically laminate floors instead of LVP) and renovated (with LVP and stainless appliances). So they have a lot of price variation and flexibility. The view was amazing. Nice amenities, very attentive management.

Myself and my partner are a gay couple. From what I hear, there is a decent community in Wilmington and I just want to make sure I am not crazy for wanting to live downtown. Philly would be a horrible commute for both of us and I will be working in DE. If I go to PA I get taxed out of the rear end and pay an arm and a leg for a crappy apartment (I am talking $1500 for a 1 bedroom that is small, bathroom is ancient and kitchen hasn't been touched in 20+ years with absolutely no parking and awful management, huge NOPE for me).

Does anyone have opinions on Market St downtown? Should I avoid it? Will I be left alone? If I should avoid, which complexes aren't horribly expensive but a decent size? There are some outdated townhomes on the edge of town that I'd be fine with for the simple fact that they are spacious, but they're rarely vacant. I don't mind smaller, but we can't handle a studio. 1bed/1bed with den/2bed units are the ones we are looking at. East side of the city is not happening, we can't go below Wilmington as it will be a brutal commute for my partner.

I despise Trolley Square. I cannot stand the uppity/millennial culture (not trying to offend anyone, just not my cup of tea). It drives me crazy. I prefer working class/mind your own business types of areas. My partner is the same as me. Suburbs are totally fine as people typically mind their business.

Please be frank with me, I don't mind. I honestly respond to it well as it helps me think more critically about my decisions.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2022, 10:46 AM

62 posts, read 136,623 times
Hi there. I cannot speak to whether or not the neighborhood in that area would be welcoming or if the area would feel safe for you. I do know someone who recently moved to the area of Market St and 2nd or 3rd. According to her, there is frequent police activity due to car accidents. Have you looked at Union Park Gardens? Nice little community, friendly neighbors who watch out for each other without being intrusive. At least in my experience.

Old 01-31-2023, 04:19 PM

242 posts, read 231,730 times
My son lived in Wilmington three years ago. After checking out Market St. and the newer apartments there, we preferred getting him a place near Trolley Square. There is a young vibe there and the neighborhood was more welcoming. There is a park within walking distance and plenty of restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: