Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2007, 01:45 PM

4 posts, read 13,710 times

Advertisements

Hi, We are an early 30's inter racial couple considering relocating to Delaware. I am white and my husband is black (light skinned). We currently live in Columbia MD which is very tolerant and was wondering if any area of Delaware is tolerant as well. We are both professional and have very good jobs. My job location would be Smyrna, DE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 04:21 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times
In my job and in my neighborhood we have many inter-racial couples. I have never heard of them having a problem here.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:38 PM

2 posts, read 6,046 times
My husband is in the military and we are stationed at Dover AFB. We own a home in Milford. My husband is white and I'm black and we have never run into any problems in this area in the 5 years we've been here. Some sideways looks on occasion, but you will get that anywhere. Very friendly people in this state. I have never been waved at by strangers so much in my life!

Old 04-13-2007, 06:09 PM

2 posts, read 7,323 times
Default Happy to voice my opinion.

Below is my reply I wrote in the thread above this one in response to some of the few negative posts about Delaware. Being black I can relate to some of your possible concerns. In my opinion, it's all about where you are at...New Castle, Kent & Sussex Counties can be viewed as three totally different area with totally different surroundings! Please read below and feel free to ask any additional questions. My wife can actually be of great assistance!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

I just wanted to chime in about Delaware. I'm previously from PA and moved to DE with my wife and two kids after looking at homes outside of Phila and around the South NJ Area. Till this day (3+ years later), we are very pleased with the BEAR, DE area. This area is central to a lot...food shops, malls, restaurants, home improvement stores,...you name it. It gives the convenience that city life brings but the area is very much rural. My daughter is 3 and my son is 11. My daughter attends a new day care just built on the corner of our housing development. Now for my son...there's actually not a whole lot of great middle schools so after doing extensive research, we decided to send him to Caravel Academy next year which is one of the top rated private schools in DE and happens to be 1/2 mile away (how convenient). I still work in Phila., PA as a sales engineer and the travel time is not too bad (50min).

Moderator cut: advertising Unlike some of the previous posts, I feel the housing taxes are still way under PA & NJ and you still get a better overall bargain for your money. The people here are nice or at least we have made a lot of friends who we trust with our kids. One (if not the largest in DE) YMCA facility is being built within 1-mile of our home here in Bear. This just seems to be an area under consistent GROWTH. Yes, Delmarva's (gas & electric) rates have gone up but this recent increase is still overshadowed (in my opinion) by the areas highlights! They say you can't have it all. Well hopefully some of this info is helpful!!! Feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks.

Last edited by Marka; 04-16-2007 at 03:20 AM..

Old 04-15-2007, 04:34 PM

4 posts, read 13,710 times
I would like to thank everyone for responding Moderator cut: use private message, please

Last edited by Marka; 04-16-2007 at 03:20 AM..

Old 04-16-2007, 11:44 AM

249 posts, read 492,243 times
I agree, I've seen more interracial couples of all sorts per capita in DE than I did in NYC, folks didn't seem too upset about it (which was encouraging when I was considering whether to relocate here or not). I've also seen more Priuses per capita too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware