Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2010, 10:07 PM

3 posts, read 22,864 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I was in a traumatic accident a couple of years ago. One of the results was my back upper 3 teeth being crushed. I ended up having them removed and getting implants. Its been almost a year since the surgeries were completed. These teeth routinely ache. It doesn't make sence seeing as how they are not real teeth and have no roots.
I am pretty sure the sinus above was damaged in some way, I have had for the first time sinus infections on that side, and have a hard time with congestion now. But it is more the aching in the "teeth" that bothers me.
The dentist was assigned to me by worker's comp, but he was a really great dentist. I was really happy with the level of care I got from him. He said everything looks great and I should have no pain.
The thought of going back to the dentist terrifies me. It makes me sick thinking about it. I would go if I thought it would help though. Is this normal? Should I live with it or get a second opinion or go back to the same dentist?
FYI, I am 32 and all my teeth were in excellent condition (And the remaining ones still are)
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 06:45 AM

61 posts, read 261,194 times
I don't have any dental implants, but I do get a lot of sinus infections and they can cause horrible pain in the upper teeth, but the pain should go away once the sinus infection has cleared up. Definitely get it checked out if the dentist can't find anything try an ENT.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:06 AM

17,555 posts, read 39,204,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botwin View Post
Hello!
I was in a traumatic accident a couple of years ago. One of the results was my back upper 3 teeth being crushed. I ended up having them removed and getting implants. Its been almost a year since the surgeries were completed. These teeth routinely ache. It doesn't make sence seeing as how they are not real teeth and have no roots.
I am pretty sure the sinus above was damaged in some way, I have had for the first time sinus infections on that side, and have a hard time with congestion now. But it is more the aching in the "teeth" that bothers me.
The dentist was assigned to me by worker's comp, but he was a really great dentist. I was really happy with the level of care I got from him. He said everything looks great and I should have no pain.
The thought of going back to the dentist terrifies me. It makes me sick thinking about it. I would go if I thought it would help though. Is this normal? Should I live with it or get a second opinion or go back to the same dentist?
FYI, I am 32 and all my teeth were in excellent condition (And the remaining ones still are)
Thanks!
I'm no doctor, but I'm guessing it's your sinuses - I often have sinus issues that make it seem like my teeth are aching. I would see a regular doctor about it if I were you.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:50 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,823,702 times
I have a dental implant, and they had to do bone grafting first because my sinus was too close to where they'd need to put the base.

If the implants are pushing up against a nerve or against the sinus, it will cause pain and *could* cause trouble down the line. I'd go back to the oral surgeon who did the implant and tell him exactly where it's hurting, the nature of the pain (sharp? throbbing? achey? eye-watering?), what's going on when you're experiencing it (breathing through your mouth? eating hot or cold foods? brushing your teeth? smacking yourself in the cheek with a hammer? )

and give him the opportunity to ensure that there's nothing funky going on with those implants.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:57 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,888,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I have a dental implant, and they had to do bone grafting first because my sinus was too close to where they'd need to put the base.

If the implants are pushing up against a nerve or against the sinus, it will cause pain and *could* cause trouble down the line. I'd go back to the oral surgeon who did the implant and tell him exactly where it's hurting, the nature of the pain (sharp? throbbing? achey? eye-watering?), what's going on when you're experiencing it (breathing through your mouth? eating hot or cold foods? brushing your teeth? smacking yourself in the cheek with a hammer? )

and give him the opportunity to ensure that there's nothing funky going on with those implants.
great advice.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:25 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,657,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
give him the opportunity to ensure that there's nothing funky going on with those implants.
That's what I would do. My DIL had an infection in her dental implants and it had been years since they were done. The dentist cleared it up with antibiotics.

Another person I know had horrible pain from her implants. I think she said they hit some nerves. She has to live with the pain. The alternative is to cut the nerves or something, but that would make her face droop.

As with any procedure, things can happen. See your dentist again.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:56 PM

1 posts, read 9,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botwin View Post
Hello!
Thanks!

Hi Botwin,
I've noticed it's been a few years now since you wrote about your accident and subsequent implants. I was in a similar predicament but in my situation I lost my four top front teeth. Very traumatic experience and this happened a couple of years ago and I still can't seem to overcome the trauma as I also had excellent teeth. (one of the teeth survived the impact initially but the nerve died and instead of my dentist capping he removed it which made it all so much worse!!!) I have since had two implants with a bridge, but one of them is giving me a dull ache pretty much all the time. I don't know if I can stand it but I also don't want to go through being toothless again. I had an xray and was told the implant hadn't integrated 100% but the one next to it is rock solid and is keeping everything up. What ended up happening with yours? I don't know what is going to happen with mine but it is a constant fear I face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health