Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2012, 12:03 AM

840 posts, read 1,147,380 times

Advertisements

I had calcium deposits on my teeth ever since I had my adult teeth. My teeth are in good condition and they're straight due to braces. I didn't want to get crown or lumineers due to the reviews I've read and it seems a little too invasive for my liking since I'm looking to improve my teeth for only cosmetic reason and they're perfectly good teeth except for the discoloration. I'm looking into resin composite as an alternative. Does anyone have any experience with it? How close is it to natural teeth color? What if it get stained? If it's stained do I professionally whiten it along with the rest of my teeth or do I have to replace it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 05:16 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Resin composites don't treat calcium deposits. Calcium deposits are treated by scraping them away, any dentist can do it. If they can't be scraped away, then they're not calcium deposits. They might be mottling from some kind of food or drug reaction (I had that on my front teeth as a reaction to an antibiotic allergy as a kid).

Composite resins are used mostly for fillings, but can also be used as partial crowns covering the top of teeth only, and to cover bridges, and filling in gaps/minor reshaping.

If you have pitting on your teeth, composite resin can be used to smooth that out. But it's not used to cover up calcium deposits, because calcium deposits are easily removed.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:44 PM

My calcium deposit couldn't be scraped away as they were developed inside the teeth.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:19 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Calcium deposits don't develop inside the tooth. They develop on the enamel. That's why they're called deposits. If you have a calcium deposit inside the tooth, then you also have a cavity leading into the tooth, from the enamel outside of the tooth, and the calcium formed outside, and worked its way inside. In order to solve -that- problem, you'd treat it the same way you'd treat any cavity: dig away the bad part, and fill it in with filling material. Which - can be composite resin. But regardless - composite resin is not used as a -treatment- for anything. It's used as a synthetic solution to repair damage of one kind or another. A deposit is not damage. It's an extra something sitting on top of a surface of something. Like the gunk that clouds up your glass shower stall door. That's a deposit. It doesn't get into the glass. It sits on the surface of the glass. If there's a crack in the glass, then yes, the deposit will seep inside eventually. But you don't "treat" the cracked gunky nasty glass. You replace it.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:05 AM

Doing etching and daily application of GI paste for remineralization for the two white spots instead. Going to take couple of months but I like the conservative approach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health