Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 02:28 PM

2 posts, read 7,382 times

Advertisements

Flossing daily is as important as brushing our teeth twice per day. Toothbrushes can't reach areas between teeth and plaque on those spots can cause more damage than plaque on surface (which is cleaned by a toothbrush).

I'd say water flossers are on average 20% more efficient than ordinary dental floss (which isn't much). But, they are much more fun to use and can improve our habits drastically. I use Waterpik, which is the most known brand for oral irrigators.

http://www.bestelectrictoothbrushhub...osser-reviews/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 07:49 PM

7,079 posts, read 8,941,070 times
I have a 5 crown fixed bridge, there is a splint between the crowns holding them together, I have to use a threader to floss. I use a water pik instead, best thing I ever did, my gums are healthier and I don't have nasty morning breath.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:32 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
I agree that the Waterpik Ultra Flosser does a much better job than string floss. I have numerous crowns and several areas where there is space between the teeth and have a heck of a time after eating trying to remove food particles with string floss.

The pulsating water from the Waterpik actually feels good on my gums and am so glad I went that route.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:22 AM

4 posts, read 15,165 times
I would encourage people to water floss. It is the only way to get to the gum pockets where the damage begins.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:27 PM

8 posts, read 10,559 times
I have two water flosses, a stationary one and a portable one. They both work great, but I don't think that they can replace regular dental floss. Water floss is unable to get very deep into the gums if you have pockets. With regular floss it is easy to get as deep as you want in important areas and by sliding it in and out to wipe off the whole build-up. It's best to use both – water and dental floss.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:38 PM

4 posts, read 15,165 times
We are also avid string + water flossers at our house. I have seen a statistic that about 80% of people don't string floss, and probably never will. We have many friends who never string floss but they seem to not mind water flossing and have had very good results.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:03 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Yes; we use Sonicare water flosser. Before that older model Waterpik which was messier to use. Good checkups over just floss is what we got with them ;so it works for us.

Old 09-15-2016, 05:02 PM

74 posts, read 183,708 times
I bought a cheap water flosser off Amazon for like $25.

https://www.amazon.com/H2ofloss%C2%A...ords=h20+floss

I use it twice a day at least after my lunch and dinner (don't eat breakfast usually, maybe a plain Greek yogurt if I'm hungry). It knocks a lot of food out from between my teeth so I assume it's worthwhile. Plus I would floss otherwise except for a dental pick/flosser pick which only do so much.

Drawback to my unit is how LOUD it is. I even use it at the lowest setting and it is a noise pollutant.

At first, the thing made my gums bleed which is a sign that I wasn't flossing and I had early periodontal disease (no loose teeth, and my gums are pink with firmness, and my breath wasn't offensive either). Now they don't bleed anymore. I'm scheduled for the third of my four quad deep cleanings next month. I'm praying using this flosser keeps me from having more cavities and plaque next time!

Old 09-26-2016, 08:37 AM

1,531 posts, read 2,418,649 times
Do you brush then use the water pic or pic then brush?

Old 09-26-2016, 09:17 AM

45 posts, read 62,020 times
I've been using the Sonicare water flosser for years. Except I put mouthwash in it. I go for cleanings twice a yr. and always have stellar reports on my gums. Then I tell them I never floss like they tell you, just use the Sonicare. They can't believe it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health