Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2014, 08:23 PM

111 posts, read 207,301 times

Advertisements

I had part of a tooth break off. Just all of a sudden noticed part of my tooth was missing. No pain at all prior to this. I went in, and dentist said I'd need a crown - not unexpected. He tested some cold on the tooth, and I didn't really feel anything abnormal. So, he drilled it down and put the temporary on, and all was fine. Then, I went in had the permanent, and all was fine there as well - now I've developed some sensitivity to cold, - I guess it's been there about the whole time - maybe SLIGHTLY worse recently - could be in my head. I don't really feel pain when chewing on it, but if I chew a lot on it, sort of throbs a bit. I guess I can "feel" myself chewing on it. It's not like other teeth where you don't know that you're chewing on it. I'm wondering if I'll need a root canal. The dentist that did the crown was dishonest. He did another crown on the adjacent tooth that didn't need to be done, and then walking out of his dental office was like trying to walk out of a timeshare presentation with a free gift. Talk about an upsell. I almost wonder if he didn't purposefully drill further than he needed to hoping he could force me to get a root canal with him. Yeah, he really was pretty bad. Why do those guys rape and pillage the middle class to put themselves in a new lexus? Sorry, really bugs me. I know not all dentists are like that - but there are way too many who are.

So I'm wondering, do you think I need a root canal? Or is there a chance the nerve is still going to make it? If I'd known root canal and a crown, I'd probably have just gotten an implant to start with. Oh well.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 06:10 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,798,125 times
You had a whole tooth. That tooth became less than whole. It had to be ground down even more to make room for a crown. So what you're chewing with, is only a small fragment of what used to be a tooth, with an artificial facade covering it. Of COURSE it will chew differently than it did when it was whole. It will feel different, it will chew different. It is weaker and smaller and less able to function than when it was whole.

And, apparently, it wasn't able to function all that well when it was whole either, because it broke.

There's no drilling involved in the placement of a crown. They use the same electric wand, but they use different bits that are designed to shave the tooth down small enough to fit the crown on top. You claim you think you've always had some sensitivity to cold in that tooth, and now you feel it more. And you think the dentist is to blame for that? Why? You're the one who broke the tooth. The dentist didn't do that. Sensitivity could mean nothing more than receding gums - which is an indication of gingevitis. It doesn't necessarily mean there's anything wrong with the nerve. You might have a dying nerve, but it isn't necessarily the case.

How many years have you had this dentist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health