Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 01:57 PM

629 posts, read 933,827 times

Advertisements

Ask your dentist if they would have dental work in their own mouth done in Mexico......99.99% would say hell no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 09:54 PM

255 posts, read 451,546 times
I very seriously considered going to Mexico for extensive dental work. That was before I really understood what I was going to need to have done. The type of dental work I need involves extraction of several teeth, and from that point forward I have basically two choices besides doing nothing at all. The choices are implants vs dentures.

But then it gets complicated. What I didn't understand before, when I was contemplating Mexico was that whichever one I chose, it involved multiple visits which would span a fair amount of time. The only way it would make financial sense to go to Mexico is if you can get all the work done in one visit and not have to go back for any subsequent visits.

In my case, I have 3 teeth that need to be extracted and I want restoration. So leaving holes in my mouth is not an option. If I want implants, I will need to have bone grafts due to significant bone loss. Then the implants cannot be screwed in at that time. You have to wait for your gums to heal and the grafted bone to integrate with your existing bone. Usually this takes several months and sometimes it does not take, which would make for a complication. So already you're looking at several trips.

If I want dentures, I am just now realizing what all that involves due to research I have done on my own. That would involve multiple visits as well. So right there, I have to rule out going to Mexico.

If what you need to have done is cosmetic and/or only involves simple procedures such as fillings, it would probably be fine to have work done down there. Even crowns or bridges can be done in one visit. Still, do your research. I've spent several hours a day for the last few weeks on the internet researching procedures and providers. And I'm not done yet. I selected a dentist near my home and went for an exam and xrays which leads to a "treatment plan". Turns out this dentist does not do the part of the implants that is below the gum line. So he referred me out to an oral surgeon. That's when I found out I'd need the bone grafts and multiple visits. Once all his work is done and I'm ready for the top part of the implants, above the gum line, then I would go back to the dentist for the abutments and crowns.

After reading a recent thread here in which the original poster did not thoroughly understand what is involved in getting dentures, I realized how important it is for you, the patient to understand everything that is or could be involved in the work you need to have done. And I'm sad to say, even the dentist who I so carefully chose to go to, did not explain what my options were. He only said I needed implants and sent me to the oral surgeon who also did not explain my options. Between these two, the work I would be having done on just these three teeth would cost around $20K. And I still have other work needing to be done.

So since I'm not going to spend $20K on my teeth, I'm back on the internet searching for options. A friend suggested dentures and at first, I scoffed. That's so old-fashioned and I didn't want to put my teeth in a jar at night. But now I am considering them as possibly my only viable choice. I've found that there are several kinds of dentures. There are full dentures when you have no teeth remaining, partial dentures which fill in the gaps where teeth have been pulled and implant supported dentures.

Since I have paid over $600 already and have had no work done yet (that's another story for another thread), now I'm really going to be careful. There are dental plans you can find on the web that are sold to individuals. They are not insurance. What they are is basically a contract the dental provider has with the company issuing the plans whereby the provider agrees to accept reduced prices for the work to be performed. The savings can be significant. So now I'm looking into that. If I choose to purchase a plan, I will be able to select the provider from the plan's website.

This is not easy, to educate yourself and make these decisions. But if you cannot afford to just go in and have whatever you need done at whatever it costs, what options do you have? You have to be your own patient advocate or face the consequences. I wish it wasn't this way but it is.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:56 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
enormous difference in price.
medical tourism is growing not just in dental but many fields.
i have done it for decades.
btw avoid medical professionals that speak fluent english--- 2 tiered price system
bring a spanish speaking friend to help if you dont speak the language

Old 07-10-2015, 04:27 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
enormous difference in price.
medical tourism is growing not just in dental but many fields.
i have done it for decades.
btw avoid medical professionals that speak fluent english--- 2 tiered price system
bring a spanish speaking friend to help if you dont speak the language
Most of the properly-educated dental professionals in Mexico are American, not Mexican. English is their first language, and many of them still live in America, and cross the border for work because of the lower cost of doing business. That is WHY so many people from the USA go to Mexico for dental care; because they can get the same quality for less.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:46 AM

629 posts, read 933,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Most of the properly-educated dental professionals in Mexico are American, not Mexican. English is their first language, and many of them still live in America, and cross the border for work because of the lower cost of doing business. That is WHY so many people from the USA go to Mexico for dental care; because they can get the same quality for less.
I am a dentist. I see lots of work that was done in Mexico, usually on patients that did not want to pay to have the treatment done here. They come back and brag about what a great "deal" they got in Mexico. When take a closer look at the work they got through a dentist's eyes and also look at the X-rays, I am usually appalled by what I see. Not once I have I ever seen work that would be considered "good". "Acceptable" occasionally, usually "bad/terrible". Most of the stuff would be grounds for malpractice if done on US soil. Because of federal and state laws, dentist in the US are held to a higher standard of care.

Generally speaking, a patient does not know good work from bad work. All they know is that the teeth look pretty, it didn't hurt much, and it was cheap. Also, in the US a patient has recourse. In Mexico if your work fails after a few months, you are basically out of luck. I am sure there are wonderful dentists in Mexico who do fabulous work - I personally have not seen it. Just like here in the US, there are good dentists and bad dentists. If you are considering getting the work done in Mexico and/or another foreign county, I say again - ask your dentist what they would do if it were their mouth.

I guess I should be thankful for dental tourism - fixing work that was done in Mexico makes me more money.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,240 times
Default Dental Implants

Yes I would agree my wife had her dental implants in Tijuana, Mexico, We come across the web it's Placidway medical tourism helps us finding the right treatment and doctor luckily we found the right one and were very happy with the result.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:46 PM

5,714 posts, read 4,289,046 times
People go to Mx for dental work because it's cheap and if they go to the right place (do your homework ad get personal referrals), its pretty decent quality. The dentists in border towns may in some cases live in the US but they are mostly born and educated in MX and speak English as a second language and sometimes not all that well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

Old 07-26-2015, 12:59 PM

5,714 posts, read 4,289,046 times
No US dentists would tell a patient to go to Mexico for work, yet you admit yourself there are some that do wonderful work. Therefore it would be stupid to ask one's dentist, since they obviously will not give an unbiased answer. Dentists are extremely egotistical, in both the US and MX. I have had dentists refuse to treat me because I dared to ask questions or expressed hesitation about procedures. I have also lost teeth needlessly because my dentist DIDN'T tell me about low cost options like Mexico.

The sad fact is, hundreds of thousands of people in the US and Canada don't have good dental insurance (if there is such a thing) and simply can't afford good dental care so they have no real choice between losing their teeth and seeking care in places like Mexico. Those people who simply can't afford any other options should do their homework very thoroughly and only go to places where they can find real live people (not anonymous internet users) to give them personal experiences and recommendations for clinics. I too, would have the work done in the US if I could afford to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
I am a dentist. I see lots of work that was done in Mexico, usually on patients that did not want to pay to have the treatment done here. They come back and brag about what a great "deal" they got in Mexico. When take a closer look at the work they got through a dentist's eyes and also look at the X-rays, I am usually appalled by what I see. Not once I have I ever seen work that would be considered "good". "Acceptable" occasionally, usually "bad/terrible". Most of the stuff would be grounds for malpractice if done on US soil. Because of federal and state laws, dentist in the US are held to a higher standard of care.

Generally speaking, a patient does not know good work from bad work. All they know is that the teeth look pretty, it didn't hurt much, and it was cheap. Also, in the US a patient has recourse. In Mexico if your work fails after a few months, you are basically out of luck. I am sure there are wonderful dentists in Mexico who do fabulous work - I personally have not seen it. Just like here in the US, there are good dentists and bad dentists. If you are considering getting the work done in Mexico and/or another foreign county, I say again - ask your dentist what they would do if it were their mouth.

I guess I should be thankful for dental tourism - fixing work that was done in Mexico makes me more money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health