Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 05:16 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,782,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Interesting on the medications and cavity formation. Talking to a neighbor yesterday and she's now on medications in the last couple yrs due to an autoimmunine disease, her teeth have gotten so bad. I feel sorry for her as this "stuff" hit her so hard and now this very strong person is very frail and she's never taken meds before this this A.D. hit her. Sadly, she is financially strapped and can't afford the supplements that could help her. If I had an extra $1K I'd give it to her to help on the supps that could benefit her.

It's mainly blood pressure meds i think (but there are others) which can cause dry mouth. This takes away one of the natural cleansing mechanisms of saliva and allows more decay to develop.

If your friend with autoimmune disease is taking Humira, methotrexate, plaquenil, or similar meds then she should get her teeth checked because if any of them get bad enough to need removal, it can be a nightmare with healing problems. I remove part of someone's jaw about once a month because of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 05:51 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
It's mainly blood pressure meds i think (but there are others) which can cause dry mouth. This takes away one of the natural cleansing mechanisms of saliva and allows more decay to develop.
There must be something to that, I went to the dentist last week, he made a remark about how much saliva I was producing, I took it as criticism and apologized and he said "don't apologize" if we could figure out how to make people produce more saliva it would save a lot of teeth

Old 07-04-2018, 08:30 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Due to chronic allergies and sinus problems I have a problem with dry mouth. But I discovered Xylitol a couple years ago and this stuff is a miracle worker! After every tooth brushing, I take a half tsp. of granules in my mouth and hold it there - it creates a TON of saliva, I then gargle with it. I also use small Xylitol "gems" in my mouth during the night to keep dry mouth at bay. My mouth used to get so bad that my tongue would stick to the roof of my mouth and create sores. Now, all those issues are history, and I don't seem to develop any plaque buildup anymore either.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:20 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,979,734 times
Quote:

And my gums are in top condition due to grape seed extract. .

What are your pocket measurements?

Old 07-04-2018, 12:04 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
What are your pocket measurements?
A dentist in No. Cal back in mid 80's told me I had pockets, and thinking back in my memory I may have heard 4, 5 maybe 6...it's been a long time.

As I have said before I never did a thing about these pockets...

Moved back to So Cal in 1991 and went to dentists down here every year into about 2010 or and a pocket was NEVER mentioned. And since about 2010 or so I have not gone to dentist due to all I'm doing for myself now.

Here is a good link mostly directed to smokers and I've never smoked but so many still do. Which is hard to believe, but true.

Supplement Containing Vitamins C, E and Grape Seed Extract Improves Smokers' Response to Gum Disease Treatment - University at Buffalo

One can search gum health and grape seed extract. My gums are tight and very healthy. I know where I've been and where I am now.

Old 07-04-2018, 12:14 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
A dentist in No. Cal back in mid 80's told me I had pockets, and thinking back in my memory I may have heard 4, 5 maybe 6...it's been a long time.

As I have said before I never did a thing about these pockets...

Moved back to So Cal in 1991 and went to dentists down here every year into about 2010 or and a pocket was NEVER mentioned. And since about 2010 or so I have not gone to dentist due to all I'm doing for myself now.

Here is a good link mostly directed to smokers and I've never smoked but so many still do. Which is hard to believe, but true.

Supplement Containing Vitamins C, E and Grape Seed Extract Improves Smokers' Response to Gum Disease Treatment - University at Buffalo

One can search gum health and grape seed extract. My gums are tight and very healthy. I know where I've been and where I am now.
You previously posted:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/49621356-post3.html

"Probably about 10 yrs ago a molar broke and some filling came out of it. The dentist I was seeing at the time said I need a lot of work done, sent me to a perio for an opinion too, that cost me $75, went back to dentist #1 and he gave me amoxicillan which I took and got rid of the pain and it's never bothered me in about 10 yrs now. I've learned about myrrh tincture and when I'd get a little pain, I'd drop myrrh there and it was gone. I've taken on to making coconut oil toothpaste and that is saving me from dental appts too. There are many ways for us to keep a healthy mouth and keep us from dental chairs."

If you have a tooth that hurts periodically you do not have a "very healthy" mouth.

Old 07-04-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You previously posted:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/49621356-post3.html

"Probably about 10 yrs ago a molar broke and some filling came out of it. The dentist I was seeing at the time said I need a lot of work done, sent me to a perio for an opinion too, that cost me $75, went back to dentist #1 and he gave me amoxicillan which I took and got rid of the pain and it's never bothered me in about 10 yrs now. I've learned about myrrh tincture and when I'd get a little pain, I'd drop myrrh there and it was gone. I've taken on to making coconut oil toothpaste and that is saving me from dental appts too. There are many ways for us to keep a healthy mouth and keep us from dental chairs."

If you have a tooth that hurts periodically you do not have a "very healthy" mouth.
You don't know what I have. I don't need members to go back into my history. Just this morning I heard on the radio about another subject and the person being interviewed said: don't believe the naysayers.

And I totally enjoy no dental visits and work and $$$$$. Thanks SQ for your continued interest in my health. It's really not necessary though.

Old 07-04-2018, 12:23 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
You don't know what I have. I don't need members to go back into my history. Just this morning I heard on the radio about another subject and the person being interviewed said: don't believe the naysayers.

And I totally enjoy no dental visits and work and $$$$$. Thanks SQ for your continued interest in my health.
I was just pointing out that while you claim to have a very healthy mouth you have admitted you have a problem with at least one tooth. Most of us would see a dentist and get that problem fixed.

Old 07-04-2018, 12:29 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
I have relatives with some fairly bad dental issues. I like to make sure I stay on top of mine. My teeth have been relatively hassle free, with only minor drilling as an adult. No root canals or anything dramatic. I go twice a year and occasionally they'll take an x-ray. I don't feel scammed at all.

Old 07-04-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I was just pointing out that while you claim to have a very healthy mouth you have admitted you have a problem with at least one tooth. Most of us would see a dentist and get that problem fixed.
Most of you yes, I went for 50 some yrs to dentists....not like I didn't go. My mouth is NOW healthy and I've said so much what I'm doing and not doing at this point. Please....

Many many who are forever at dentists still have pain and issues....just like many live at doctor's offices... I do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health