Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2017, 04:31 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times

Advertisements

I had an old bridge replaced, first go round the dentist took regular impressions and sent them off to a lab, he wasn't happy with the results so they gave me another appt. I thought that he had sent it back to the lab but no...I walk in and he says "we're going to start from scratch, I need to laser your gums".

Th bridge abutments are 30 & 32. He does a nerve block comes back and asks if I am numb I said "I think so" he starts in with his laser and when he uses it at the back side of 32 it felt like someone was dumping molten lava into my mouth. He stopped and did another block- same thing. He quits again and I hear him telling the assistant that the lingual nerve isn't numb, so he gives me another injection and starts lasing again, it was better than before but there was still one area that was incredibly painful, he stopped but I told him to just go ahead and finish which he did. He then used his cerec camera and said he was going to make the bridge himself.

I like this dentist, he gets good reviews, but what the heck could have happened? If he doesn't know how to properly inject anesthetic I don't want to go back.

Last edited by 2sleepy; 09-28-2017 at 04:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 07:37 AM

629 posts, read 933,593 times
Unfortunately, it happens. Every person is different and every tooth within that person's mouth is also different. When you give a block, you are delivering anesthetic to the main nerve branch which is then supposed to work its way down to all the tiny accessory branches. Sometimes it takes a while or does not happen at all depending on the anatomy of the patient's nerves. It's really frustrating for both the patient and the dentist. I wouldn't jump the gun about the dentist's anesthetic techniques just yet. I give standard injection techniques and it is amazing how some people will get completely numb while others won't. Heck, I had a guy last week that was so numb you could have sawed his jaw off, but in one tiny spot around one of his teeth he was super sensitive. Dentists HATE it when patients can't get numb. Believe it or not, dentists don't like causing pain and it stresses them out knowing that you are in pain from the procedure.

If this becomes a common occurrence that you experience only at this particular dentist, then perhaps it could be more with the doctor's technique.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
Unfortunately, it happens. Every person is different and every tooth within that person's mouth is also different. When you give a block, you are delivering anesthetic to the main nerve branch which is then supposed to work its way down to all the tiny accessory branches. Sometimes it takes a while or does not happen at all depending on the anatomy of the patient's nerves. It's really frustrating for both the patient and the dentist. I wouldn't jump the gun about the dentist's anesthetic techniques just yet. I give standard injection techniques and it is amazing how some people will get completely numb while others won't. Heck, I had a guy last week that was so numb you could have sawed his jaw off, but in one tiny spot around one of his teeth he was super sensitive. Dentists HATE it when patients can't get numb. Believe it or not, dentists don't like causing pain and it stresses them out knowing that you are in pain from the procedure.

If this becomes a common occurrence that you experience only at this particular dentist, then perhaps it could be more with the doctor's technique.
Thank you, that's exactly what I needed to know.

Old 09-30-2017, 04:45 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,781,202 times
Probably the nerve to the mylohyoid. That's the next one I usually go after in this situation and usually works.

Old 09-30-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
Probably the nerve to the mylohyoid. That's the next one I usually go after in this situation and usually works.
I just wish he'd hit me in the head and knocked me out geezus...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health