Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 03:04 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,730,345 times

Advertisements

Hi all! We took my daughter to an Orthodontist as recommended by our dentist last year. They said she will need braces in about another year to three. We have since moved to another state and when open enrollment came up at work I realized I need to know if my daughter will need braces sometime this year or not. If she does then I'll need to go with the better dental plan that pays 80% otherwise it's only 50%. After calling around to Orthodontists in the area I can only get in to see one before I need to sign up. I would like several opinions. I'd rather not pay for the "better" plan unless needed.

So my question is, when is the typical age a child gets braces? My daughter will be 12 in March and has lost several teeth recently and still has some to lose. Is it typical to get braces this young or am I safe to wait another year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2017, 10:03 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,779,561 times
Depends. What is your child's orthodontic diagnosis?

Old 11-11-2017, 06:22 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,723,533 times
My daughter is getting them now at age 14. It was recommended that she get them last year but she had some health problems and we held off on anything that wasn't lifesaving. I didn't get the impression that waiting an additional year would make much difference. Her original treatment plan was for 24 months and so is the current one.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:37 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,691,015 times
Each kid is different.
Our youngest had to have his lower wisdom teeth pulled when he was 11. The oral surgeon said this was the best time to do it - I assume the teeth aren't as formed but yes the way they were coming in would mess up his teeth.

The key is to have a good dentist, know how the adult teeth are coming in, and see what he/she says. Sometimes it's having braces on to move teeth for an adult tooth to move down.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:45 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
I think it's vital to get several opinions and find someone you like and trust, even if it means waiting longer. Most orthodontists will do a free consult with free X-rays, but some seem to think all kids should get braces "now," no matter what. I took my oldest child in for her first consults when she was 6.

The first orthodontist we saw wanted to start Phase 1 immediately and continue on to Phase 2 when she was older. That would be two complete sets of braces. The second orthodontist, who was recommended by a friend, told us she didn't need two phases. We brought her back to see him once a year (free) and he let us know when it was just the right time. When she was 12 and had lost her last baby teeth, the braces went on. They came off at 14. She is now 18 and her teeth are still perfect.

We used the same orthodontist for our second daughter. He made sure we understood that she didn't "need" braces, and they would be only for cosmetic purposes. We are currently waiting for our 12-year-old son to lose his last baby teeth. He needs treatment for an overbite.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:42 AM

5 posts, read 4,989 times
You should probably wait until all her baby teeth have fallen out, just in case they affect the alignment of the braces once they're on.

I'm 20 years old and I remember people in my school getting braces pretty quickly, when they were in 1st year (aged 13-14). I'm not an orthodontist but this seems normal to me so I'd imagine she would be fine getting them on at that age, especially if the ortho has said so.

Old 01-31-2018, 06:48 AM

1,656 posts, read 2,779,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleMacLeod View Post
You should probably wait until all her baby teeth have fallen out, just in case they affect the alignment of the braces once they're on.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:54 PM

72 posts, read 55,552 times
My son got his few months before he turned 12. Our Orthodontist told us once he lost all his baby teeth, he could get them. My son does have some serious overbite and other issues to correct though.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:20 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,776,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Hi all! We took my daughter to an Orthodontist as recommended by our dentist last year. They said she will need braces in about another year to three. We have since moved to another state and when open enrollment came up at work I realized I need to know if my daughter will need braces sometime this year or not. If she does then I'll need to go with the better dental plan that pays 80% otherwise it's only 50%. After calling around to Orthodontists in the area I can only get in to see one before I need to sign up. I would like several opinions. I'd rather not pay for the "better" plan unless needed.

So my question is, when is the typical age a child gets braces? My daughter will be 12 in March and has lost several teeth recently and still has some to lose. Is it typical to get braces this young or am I safe to wait another year?
Mine started when the 12 year old molars were all in. So it may depend upon whether those are in yet. From what you're describing, you've probably got some flexibility, could probably wait to start until 2019. Meanwhile, you can get several opinions this year. I doubt it's an emergency. They would have told you, were there any major hurry.

Old 02-26-2018, 03:30 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,913,563 times
Same here. son getting them in sept. as he has baby teeth still coming out. He is 11.. so just another $$ expense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health