Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2019, 10:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,672 times

Advertisements

I have an ongoing white tongue issue for a couple of years now, seen several GP's and one dentist on the issue and nobody seems to know whats up.
Recently however, my white tongue has begun to get a bit yellow toward the back and down the centre and has a series of horizontal cracks down the length of the middle,
I originally became aware of this when the tip of my tongue began to sting, the symptoms go on and off but when the tongue is gunkiest? it stings and appears bright red.

Should I be concerned? I'd get in touch with my GP but sadly they are away for a few weeks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 11:49 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,984,272 times
Google images for "oral lichen planus" and see if that looks like what you have. Also, fissured tongue.

Old 01-10-2019, 04:06 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,691,235 times
Thrush? Do you take inhaled corticosteroids? I was talking to someone recently who told me there are some he has tried that give him thrush almost immediately even if he washes his mouth out.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:09 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,210,345 times
It is a bit late for this now, but maybe when the cracks in your tongue have healed you should consider doing it.

I had a problem with a white tongue and it was getting worse. My dentist said to brush it when I brushed my teeth - just don't scrub the hell out of it. And after a few weeks the condition began to reverse itself, and I just brush my tongue as part of brushing my teeth. I have a friend who had similar results.

I also use Eludril mouthwash once, sometimes twice a week, which the dentist recommended.

But not when you have an open crack on your tongue!

Old 01-10-2019, 05:12 AM

7,280 posts, read 5,162,086 times
Unlikely for a condition that has lasted continuously for years to represent a disease. More likely the white film is just a good ol' "coated tongue-" drying secretions seen in dehydration-- not systemic for years on end- but local from mouth breathing or sicca syndrome (low saliva output) seen in normal aging, with rheumatoid problems or from meds. (or maybe you just talk too much? )

The fissures were probably always there and you just never noticed them. Very deep, obvious fissures are called a "geographic tongue" and is a normal (probably genetic) variation. (BTW- in case you also just noticed them for the first time, those big bumps way back at the base of your tongue are just taste buds. They're not tumors.)

The recurring episodes of stinging on the tip of the tongue is caused by the plugging up of a saliva gland (microscopic, single units that line the whole tongue; as opposed to the big, major saliva glands like the parotid). Debris from food or sloughed off cells can plug them up and prevent the saliva from exiting, so the built up pressure is painful. They're also more likely to occur in times of local dehydration.

The yellow represents the metabolism/breakdown of DNA in the dead cells that have been laying around a while in the secretions. (Also the reason mucous turns green & yellow when you have a cold.)

Now, what I just wrote is what's probably going on, but nobody should trust the opinion of some goof out in the Internet Cloud who has never examined you and may not even have the story right. Better see a doc. Dentists do have more experience with examining mouths, so maybe that is a good alternative choice rather than seeing another bewildered physician.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health