Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 06:09 AM

23,865 posts, read 33,545,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattrick View Post
I am now 1 year into wearing my braces and I have to say the teeth are looking way better. My orthodontist wants me to have an evasive surgery to correct a slight cross bite on the left side rear of my mouth. The procedure he wants me to have is called a LeFort 1. This proceedure basicly cuts the whole upper jaw away with cuts from upper molar to molar then the upper palete is fractured away reset to the correct position and rescrewed back into place providing a permenant correction. The upper jaw is then tied down with the lower draw until healed which will mean eating only milk shakes and soup broth for two weeks. I will also miss work for 3 weeks as well. I do not have any issues chewing, no pain and and it will not really be providing any cometic benefit either Though it will provied perfect orthodontics with straight teeth with perfect bite. Am I crazy to have this proceedure? Please respond I am scheduled for surgery May 24th.
I have hardware in my back & can feel it. I've never heard of this procedure & the way I feel is why fix what isn't broken?

Have you done any google searches to see if there is feedback from others that have had it done? My concern would be any long term pain. My daughter fractured her wrist a few years ago; she's always had pain since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 03:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattrick View Post
I am now 1 year into wearing my braces and I have to say the teeth are looking way better. My orthodontist wants me to have an evasive surgery to correct a slight cross bite on the left side rear of my mouth. The procedure he wants me to have is called a LeFort 1. This proceedure basicly cuts the whole upper jaw away with cuts from upper molar to molar then the upper palete is fractured away reset to the correct position and rescrewed back into place providing a permenant correction. The upper jaw is then tied down with the lower draw until healed which will mean eating only milk shakes and soup broth for two weeks. I will also miss work for 3 weeks as well. I do not have any issues chewing, no pain and and it will not really be providing any cometic benefit either Though it will provied perfect orthodontics with straight teeth with perfect bite. Am I crazy to have this proceedure? Please respond I am scheduled for surgery May 24th.

I am looking into adult braces and may have to have similar surgery to correct my crossbite. I hope all went well with your treatment. May I ask for an update since your last post??

Old 01-10-2015, 06:45 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
One of the dentists at the dental office I go to recently had braces put on. My guess is that her age is around 45. More power to her! Course I'm sure she ended up getting a discount from a fellow dentist?

Old 01-10-2015, 01:18 PM

228 posts, read 740,310 times
I have had the braces off now for three years. The teeth still look good. My bite is good but not perfect. I should of listen to the orthodontist and had the more evasive approach done which is called La Forte which they remove your whole upper portion of your teeth from your scull align them perfectly with the bottom row of teeth then screw them back into your upper jaw. If your doctor recommends this and you want perfect results get this done. If you opt for the minor surgery which they but a mouth appliance in your mouth which you have to move daily with a lever you will get very good results but not the best. I also have been wearing my retainers every night which is important as well. I have seen some motion in the teeth but nothing worth worrying about. I will be seeing my orthodontist this year and may get some clear braces which one can wear for minor adjustments. If you want straight teeth get them done at any age. You will be glad you did.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:12 AM

26 posts, read 108,150 times
Try to fix an appointment with a dentist or an orthodontist nearby to find a suitable type of braces based on your teeth nature and complexity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health