Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2009, 08:04 PM

98 posts, read 618,930 times

Advertisements

I ended up getting a root canal on a tooth that was causing me major pain and sensitivity after a routine filling on a molar. The initial filling cracked a month and half later in which the dentist went in and redid the filling. This did not alleviate my symptoms but made them worse to the point where I could no longer chew on that side of my mouth. The root canal did in fact help to get me out of pain which I am very grateful for. It was in the span of two weeks after getting the root canal that I went back to the dentist for temporary crown. The entire time between the root canal procedure and temporary crown placement (4 weeks) I avoided chewing on that side of my mouth for fear of the tooth cracking.

I have had the permanent crown in place for approx 11 days and it's still very sensitive and painful to chewing pressure on this tooth to the point where I am back chewing on the other side of my mouth as if the restoration was not complete. I went back in to the dentist the day after crown placement because the bite seemed very high and it was causing pressure and pain on the tooth below and causing my jaw to tense up because I couldn't get my mouth to relax. I do remember initially he was adjusting the crown a lot to the point where I wondered if it was in fact my crown or someone else’s. All in all it's had a ton of adjustment and still causing me problems. Is this a normal ordeal with a new crown? This is my first one and still unsure as to what I am supposed to expect with this. This tooth alone has caused me a lot of anguish since July. I thought by now I could finally be out of pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 08:13 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,998,486 times
Ya need a new dentist.

Crowns are tricky. If set to high it can cause problems with adjacent teeth or those on top/bottom.

Might need penicillin or anti biotic for abcess. Removal of root with continued problems may require oral surgery. Heck I dunno except I just got alot of dental work that I can't afford... but pain is the motivator, or alleviation of it.

Also may consider sinusitus or other infection as this can mimic dental pain.

Any infection left untreated causes many other problems in the body. May want to contact a doctor as well.

Hope it works out better...

Old 11-05-2009, 08:18 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,550,121 times
I have had some rough goes with a crown but I do wonder about the dentist. It does not take much for it to feel out of whack and sometimes it simply takes time to adjust to the crown.

Does he use the tamp tamp bite bite film that leaves marks on where the tooth is hitting before he trims it down?

The whole sequence of events though is rather extreme. THe first time he filled the tooth did he indicate it was "on the edge"? I have only had a tooth break after it had been filled and then years later decay got under the filling .................If you can swing having another dentist look at it I sure would.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:21 PM

Thanks. I am kinda kicking myself in the behind now. I should have just waited and went back to my old dentist back home for this crown. He is really the only one I trust with major stuff like this. It's tough though because that is always a plane ride and time off from work. This person was a new dentist for me and now I am unsure if I want him to do anymore work in my mouth $950 later. It's hell on wheels looking for someone you can trust.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
I have had some rough goes with a crown but I do wonder about the dentist. It does not take much for it to feel out of whack and sometimes it simply takes time to adjust to the crown.

Does he use the tamp tamp bite bite film that leaves marks on where the tooth is hitting before he trims it down?

The whole sequence of events though is rather extreme. THe first time he filled the tooth did he indicate it was "on the edge"? I have only had a tooth break after it had been filled and then years later decay got under the filling .................If you can swing having another dentist look at it I sure would.

He did use that carbon paper material? to test for the bite marks. I guess it was not adjusted enough the first day that when I complained about pain later in the day his assistant told me to come back in the next day. He adjusted it more. What I don't understand if he adjusted it more the second day why he didn't do as well the first day. I even said to him it felt uncomfortable. It was as if someone told a huge wad of gum and just shoved it up in my tooth. It initially felt super tight in my mouth. He didn't provide details to the degree of the intial decay on this tooth. Kinda weird for it to fail so soon considering I don't chew on anything abnormal with my teeth like ice and what not. Every filling in my mouth has lasted for quite some time. This was the first to fail so soon.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:18 PM

350 posts, read 4,157,820 times
Ugh, the same thing pretty much happened to me. I had a very old amalgam filling that cracked. I went to a new dentist (had just moved to a new area) and had the filling removed and got a porcelain onlay. Well, a month later while chewing the tooth under the onlay cracked. I had lots of pain/sensitivity while chewing on that tooth. Went to an endodontist, who said I did not need a root canal. I decided to ignore it and lay off the tooth for awhile. It's been a year now and I still have not had the tooth treated and it's quieted down. The nerve is still viable so a root canal was not needed. I do have pain on chewing though, so I try to chew on the other side. I am not sure what I am going to do about this tooth.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:42 AM

1 posts, read 14,988 times
Default Same problem

I had the same problem and finally after 3 years the infection broke through the gum and after a month of the worst antibiotics on the planet, the tooth is pulled.
Then I got more caps and guess what. I am in pain just like before and going to the dentist today.
IN the mean time...I did some research and discovered they have changed materials since I got my first cap that never gave me any trouble at all. The cements have also been changed. Since I suffer from multiple allergies...my dermatologist claims I am allergic to everything.....I think I have a severe allergy to the metals in the crown and cement. They can contain nickel. Also, the cement calibra or dentsply caulk can cause allergenic reactions. So you have to find out what the crown is made of and what is in the cement. Several dentists at the Cleveland Clinic post that the old zink phosphate cements are the solution for allergies.
I just know the darn crown is coming out because it is now a permanent toothache and 1,200.00 is way too much to pay for a toothache.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:58 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
Your post is confusing. You say in the first sentence that you got the tooth pulled. Then you say you got it capped. You can't cap a tooth that isn't there. Did you get a bridge? Or a flipper? No tooth = no cap.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:46 AM

Wow this is an old one. I eventually had to get a full set of braces folks to correct all the misalignment due to those crowns. I wore braces for two years and have been out of braces for a full year now. My smile is beautiful and I have no tooth pain at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health