Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2014, 08:38 PM

3 posts, read 3,720 times

Advertisements

I've been reading this forum for months now, trying to learn more about the Denver area to plan my move. Everyone is so helpful regarding advice for potential transplants, so I'm looking for a little specific help myself.

I'm 22 years old, and have been planning to move to the Denver area in September. My original plans included moving out there with a couple of friends and my significant other, but it looks like now I'll be on my own. I've lived in St. Louis, MO my entire life, and am looking for a change.

St. Louis weather is just not for me; hot & humid summers with cold, relentlessly gray winters. I love the outdoors, and feel trapped inside for so many months of the year.

I dropped out of journalism school after two years, because I didn't (don't?) know what I want to do, and hated wasting the time and the money. I am planning to go back to school for a bachelor's in environmental science after I meet the Colorado residency requirements.

I currently work as a server at a restaurant that I would consider...low-end upscale. I would like to find a serving job at a similar type of restaurant upon my arrival.

Here, I share a relatively spacious 1bdr apartment with my boyfriend for $475/mo plus about $100/mo for gas + electric. We live within the city limits in a very mixed neighborhood. Depending on the block, it can be nice or it can be dangerous. I've been told that compared to what I'm used to, Denver's more dangerous neighborhoods would not phase me at all.

Right now, I'm weighing the differences between the Denver and Colorado Springs areas. I have been on a scouting trip to Denver, and am interested in living on the west side of the city (Lakewood, Wheat Ridge, Arvada...I was particularly fond of Lakewood.) but now that I am moving out there on my own, would likely need to find roommates to do so. I'll have around 10k in savings by the time I move, but would like to find a place for roughly $500 a month.

I've never been to Colorado Springs, but it seems like their might be more mountain recreation opportunities there, and that I may be able to afford a place on my own, which is way preferable to roommates. However, as an LGBT person, it sounds like Colorado Springs might present some additional challenges for me.

If you've made it this far, I'd really appreciate your $0.02. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 08:57 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Denver is the major city for 500 miles in any direction, with 3M+ people vs 600K for the Colo Spgs region, so I'd go with Denver.

Start with padmapper.com and beware the tons of scammers on craigslist.

You should be able to find restaurant jobs in Denver without too much trouble.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:32 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Sounds like you have a good amount saved for the move. I also think that finding a serving job won't be too hard.

As an LGBT person, I would not want to live in Colorado Springs. It's a very conservative town. Focus on the Family is headquartered there. Denver is a very liberal and accepting city.

You are correct that our bad neighborhoods don't compare to St. Louis. That said, I think if you were willing to go just a little higher in rent, you wouldn't have to worry about it at all.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:23 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Greater Denver rents are 2-3x of what you are used to paying.
Don't even think of Colorado Springs.
Most (not all) of the restaurants that you will be interested in are located near (3 mile raduis) LoDo.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:04 AM

7 posts, read 8,213 times
Padmapper.com and hotpads.com can both help you "get a handle" on what rentals will run in both areas. Denver is a fantastically accepting city. C. Springs is more affordable, but as already pointed out, the culture is not as LGBT friendly.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:07 AM

3 posts, read 3,720 times
Thanks for your input, everyone.

I have been using and loving Padmapper for looking for places for a few months. I am really interested in the Lakewood area, and am finding a few places here and there that I can afford. Does anybody have any opinion/advice about Lakewood in particular?

Old 04-08-2014, 12:26 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photofeature View Post
Thanks for your input, everyone.

I have been using and loving Padmapper for looking for places for a few months. I am really interested in the Lakewood area, and am finding a few places here and there that I can afford. Does anybody have any opinion/advice about Lakewood in particular?
Lakewood is fine. It's basic suburban, and has new to old (fairly big city) and is clolser to the mountains. But if you like nightlife, it's a bit of a drive downtown. There is a light rail line that runs from Lakewood to downtown. But when I think of Lakewood, I think of families/empty nesters, not young single people. When I first moved to Denver just after graduating from college, I rented a room on Cap. Hill to be close to all the fun gay things to do in Denver
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver