Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 07:44 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,188,951 times

Advertisements

This post is a bit long, but ideally some other person relocating may also find any responses here helpful.

Actually, we should all hope getting a local driver's license is not easy, due to terrorism and other issues. I agree that a local driver's license in any state should require proof of residence (copy of lease/mortgage, cable or local utility bill).

But I've heard that after 60 days (or is it 90 days?), in some states, the extended stay facility no longer charges tax on the rent; one is now considered a renter, and not a visitor or guest? Hmm...

If I move to Denver or COS, it will be without a job or residence, but only enough money to last a year or so without income, if no job materializes. Then I'd return to Boston.

I'd need to secure a Colorado license in order to find stable employment AND an apt. But neither is easy without it.

I plan to stay at one of the many extended stays advertised on Craigslist. It's actually cheaper and more modern and luxurious than my rent near Boston.

After 60-90 days of paying the rent and tax at an extended stay, I wonder if I'd qualify for a local address.

Hmm...just realized as I write this that a Registry of Motor Vehicles probably would not recognize a hotel's address as valid, and decline a local license, even if I have proof of my long-term stay. Of course, I would not have a local cable or utility bill from this stay to show the RMV, as those costs are included in the rent.

I believe in Massachusetts, that a homeless shelter address does not qualify for a state license (but perhaps a basic state photo ID is then possible?).

Has anybody here secured an apt. locally without a job, but instead paid rent in advance for 6-12 months?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 10:34 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
I'd need to secure a Colorado license in order to find stable employment AND an apt. But neither is easy without it.
Not true. The only jobs that require you to be a Colorado resident in order to be eligible to apply are state government jobs. Other than that, how would a potential employer even know or care which state you have a drivers license in unless if that info is needed for criminal background check info? You certainly do not need a CO drivers license to rent an apartment. People move here from other states all the time, and sometimes drive around on their out-of-state plates/licenses for years (which is WRONG, but people do it). Take care of the drivers license/ plates after you've obtained a place to live, been working for at least a month or so, and are certain that you're staying.

Proof of employment, though, is usually needed to rent a place. Having a local address to put down on your resumes/ job applications is essential. As long as your extended stay motel lets you receive mail there, that should work. Or invest in a UPS store PO box that lets you list your address as a street with a unit #.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:33 AM

726 posts, read 2,147,603 times
Usually an employer is only going to look at your license after you're hired so I don't think it would be an issue. Also if you are dead set on getting a license in CO, I'm not sure you would have a problem with that. When I switched my out of state they didn't ask for any proof. I just turned in my NY license gave them my new address and that was that. One thing that was a hassle, make sure your license has your middle name spelled out they are strict about that (have no idea why). My NY license didn't have my middle name, my birth cert wasn't official enough. I ended up having to do some weird process of appeal to get my DL without a middle name. Luckily I took every piece of id I have with me so I was able to do it all at the same time and be out of there relatively quickly.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:34 AM

6,797 posts, read 9,347,476 times
I don't think you need a Colorado license to find employment. I had a California license on my first day of my new job here in Colorado and my employer accepted it without asking any questions. If I were you, I would keep the MA license and take vegaspilgrim's advice on a PO Box until you find a job here.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:25 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,999,886 times
I used my Florida license at first with no problem. When I got my CO drivers license I gave them my address but didn't have to prove anything, just got it no problem.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:53 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
If you are going to be driving on the job, you will likely need a CO driver's license to work, but you can usually get it after you are hired. I'm thinking of the jobs I've had as a visiting nurse; a valid CO driver's lice is generally required.

Old 09-04-2010, 04:35 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,508,680 times
I moved from California and waited almost a year to get a Colorado license. Nobody cares if you have one except cops....and, as long as you have out of state plates, you can just say you are visiting if they question it.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:03 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:
After 60-90 days of paying the rent and tax at an extended stay, I wonder if I'd qualify for a local address.

Hmm...just realized as I write this that a Registry of Motor Vehicles probably would not recognize a hotel's address as valid, and decline a local license, even if I have proof of my long-term stay. Of course, I would not have a local cable or utility bill from this stay to show the RMV, as those costs are included in the rent.
You are making it too complicated. First, you find a hotel that you will be staying in for at least 30 days. Then go to the DMV, give them your current license, and pay the fees for the Colorado license. They will give you a temporary Colorado License, and mail your permanent license to the hotel's address within 30 days. If you wont be in the same room, or don't include your room number on the license application. Be sure to tell the hotel desk to be looking out for it. So they don't return it if they don't recognize your name.

I have one suggestion. Before you leave your current state, I'd apply for a duplicate license. Because the CO DMV will take your current license when they give you your temp. CO license. Which means that you would be without a photo ID for some time. Which could be a problem for you.

Quote:
Has anybody here secured an apt. locally without a job, but instead paid rent in advance for 6-12 months?
This question has been posted many times on these forums. I believe the general consensus is that it is difficult if not impossible to do that. Most management companies are not set up to take payments that way. Even if you rent directly from the owner, there are many good legal reasons for them not to agree to an arrangement like that.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:15 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
If you are going to be driving on the job, you will likely need a CO driver's license to work, but you can usually get it after you are hired. I'm thinking of the jobs I've had as a visiting nurse; a valid CO driver's lice is generally required.
I agree with most of this, except the part about getting the license after you are hired. Every job application I've ever seen, required you to have a drivers license in the state you will be working in, before they will consider you for employment. There may be exceptions to that, but I've never seen any.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:40 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I agree with most of this, except the part about getting the license after you are hired. Every job application I've ever seen, required you to have a drivers license in the state you will be working in, before they will consider you for employment. There may be exceptions to that, but I've never seen any.
What kinds of jobs have you applying for?

On the jobs I've applied for-- and having gone through two periods of unemployment in the last year, I've applied to hundreds of jobs (in accounting and finance), the ONLY jobs which required being a Colorado resident in order to be eligible to apply are state government jobs. Some job applications I've seen ask for your drivers license #, but it's only for background check purposes, and the online form gives you the option to select your state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: