Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 07:32 AM

337 posts, read 664,804 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any information on this school outside of their website?

I'm thinking of taking a program or 2 there, and wanted to know the schools reputation. Is it public or private etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 09:27 AM

625 posts, read 1,392,782 times
UC Denver is public. DU (University of Denver) is private.

Not sure about reputation - I would guess it depends on the program.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:15 AM

6,915 posts, read 9,452,017 times
I don't want to knock CU-Denver because I've never taken classes there, but based on friends' experiences, it seems like it's mostly a 'commuter school' and doesn't have much in terms of an on campus community in the way that CU-Boulder does. If you're an undergrad who is looking for a college experience complete with fraternities/sororities/on-campus clubs, etc., you might want to look at CU-Boulder instead.

Also, the reputation depends on the program, I would think. It may not be worth it to pay out-of-state tuition to attend CU-Denver for a program that you can find in a school where you currently live.

Just my $0.02!

Old 09-27-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I don't want to knock CU-Denver because I've never taken classes there, but based on friends' experiences, it seems like it's mostly a 'commuter school' and doesn't have much in terms of an on campus community in the way that CU-Boulder does. If you're an undergrad who is looking for a college experience complete with fraternities/sororities/on-campus clubs, etc., you might want to look at CU-Boulder instead.

Also, the reputation depends on the program, I would think. It may not be worth it to pay out-of-state tuition to attend CU-Denver for a program that you can find in a school where you currently live.

Just my $0.02!
Not my dime as far as College goes it's the Govt's. I'm 37 so typical College experience isn't interesting to me.

They offer 2 programs I'm being sent back to school to complete so I plan on either moving and enrolling there after a yr once I've obtained in State Status, or just allow Govt to flip entire tab.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:41 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,350,164 times
I agree with cowboyxjon. Regardless of whether you're 18 or 37, whether you want the "college experience" or not, CU Denver is not worth paying the outrageous price of out of state tuition. It's a practical option for Denver area residents who work full time and want to attend classes at night. If you're in a field where you need a degree, period, but it doesn't really matter where or what, it might work. It's certainly not a destination school for someone to move here from out of state just to attend CU Denver. I think all things being equal, a degree from CU Boulder, DU, or CSU will be a lot more respected, and will do a lot more for your resume; more bang for the buck, so to speak.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I agree with cowboyxjon. Regardless of whether you're 18 or 37, whether you want the "college experience" or not, CU Denver is not worth paying the outrageous price of out of state tuition. It's a practical option for Denver area residents who work full time and want to attend classes at night. If you're in a field where you need a degree, period, but it doesn't really matter where or what, it might work. It's certainly not a destination school for someone to move here from out of state just to attend CU Denver. I think all things being equal, a degree from CU Boulder, DU, or CSU will be a lot more respected, and will do a lot more for your resume; more bang for the buck, so to speak.
Is CU Denver the same school as University of Colorado at Denver? I believe someone above said they are 2 seperate schools?.

Either way not interested in financial stuff, just info on the school if anyone has any.

Thanks for your input if your referring to the college I'm talking about

Old 09-27-2010, 11:17 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,141,695 times
CU Denver is a very good school. It serves a lot of commuter students and older students seeking graduate degrees. More than 1/3 of the students at CU Denver are graduate students. It has good ties with the Denver business community as well as the Denver education community.

BTW- Should you graduate, your diploma will read University of Colorado, not University of Colorado at Denver. It doesn't matter though, I have never had anybody disparage my degree from the University of Colorado at Denver.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:44 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,350,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanceryan View Post
Is CU Denver the same school as University of Colorado at Denver? I believe someone above said they are 2 seperate schools?.

Either way not interested in financial stuff, just info on the school if anyone has any.

CU Denver = UC Denver = University of Colorado Denver = UCD = UCDHSC. It seems like the school keeps hanging its official title/abbreviation every other year.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:31 AM

6,915 posts, read 9,452,017 times
Yeah, CU-Denver is the same thing as University of Colorado at Denver. I'm not sure why the acronym is "CU" instead of "UC," but it is what it is. University of Denver (which is a private school and different from University of Colorado - Denver) is the same way -- it's "DU" instead of "UD."

Old 10-28-2010, 05:43 PM

11 posts, read 24,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanceryan View Post

Yes. CU Denver = University of Colorado Denver. No, they aren't two separate schools.

However, the other poster mentioned that University of Colorado Denver is a public school, and the University of Denver is a private school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
CU Denver = UC Denver = University of Colorado Denver = UCD = UCDHSC. It seems like the school keeps hanging its official title/abbreviation every other year.
Actually... UCDHSC refers to the medical campus out towards Colfax & Peoria. UCDHSC stands for the University of Colorado Denver Health Sciences Centre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: