Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 09:45 AM

785 posts, read 1,882,988 times

Advertisements

I heard once you were supposed to run down a hill and then side step so the bear roles past you, but as someone once said 'now you've embarrassed the bear'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 09:49 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,921 times
Well there was that news report once about the bear in Boulder that...oh...we already talked about that one...um...

Should I worry you about our earthquakes? (tongue firmly in cheek)

Old 03-23-2011, 12:59 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,125,290 times
For about 40 years or so, a group of Bears would come out of hibernation in April and stay in the city until August.

Their natural habitat was eventually destroyed and they have since moved on.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:32 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,620,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misstheseasons View Post
omg, so there are bears that do roam.....wow, i'm oringally from NJ, and to me that's....just, what do you do if you run into one on the street? do they only come out at night? ok, now i'm freaking out over here......and a cougar? oh sh&t
When I run into one on the street I go up to it and introduce myself. This way we start off on good terms.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTenmile View Post
I heard once you were supposed to run down a hill and then side step so the bear roles past you, but as someone once said 'now you've embarrassed the bear'.
You have to find a hill first.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:35 PM

Worry about the Prairie Dogs. They are everywhere and very dangerous.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:42 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,473,128 times
Just don't feed the animals!

Old 03-23-2011, 04:48 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,894,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
Should I worry you about our earthquakes? (tongue firmly in cheek)
Ya know everybody scoffs at the earthquake potential of Colorado. Because seismic activity in Colorado has historically been rare compared to CA, WY, UT, etc, the complete earthquake potential of the state hasn't been fully investigated.

There are faults in the state that could conceivably produce a M7 earthquake. While that's slightly above run-of-the-mill for an active state like California, a magnitude 7 earthquake in a state like Colorado where earthquake-proof buildings are rare could cause serious damage.

That being said should you worry about "the big one" striking any time in the near future? No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Worry about the Prairie Dogs. They are everywhere and very dangerous.
While prairie dogs themselves aren't very dangerous, that nasty little pneumonic plague bacteria they're highly susceptible to is. They're cute, they're cuddly, they're deadly. Killer dogs...coming to a pasture near you.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:05 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misstheseasons View Post
omg, so there are bears that do roam.....wow, i'm oringally from NJ, and to me that's....just, what do you do if you run into one on the street? do they only come out at night? ok, now i'm freaking out over here......and a cougar? oh sh&t
How many people are killed in the USA every year in Cars? 40,000 or so. How many by bears? 10 maybe. I'll bet you don't think twice about jumping in your car so why worry about bears? Last spring while camping in the rockies a grizz came right into our campsite. I was not too happy about it but will it stop me from camping? NOPE!!!

Old 03-23-2011, 07:55 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,814,391 times
Never seen a bear in Denver proper, but I have seen at least a dozen in Boulder City limits..Ya seriously. The last encounter was while jogging along the Mesa Trail just above NCAR. He was an old male with grey grizzled whiskers. He seemed anything but agrresive and (bear in mind) pardon the pun. I was less than a yard away from him when I stopped to see what it wasI caught outof the corner of my eye. I have seen bears along Boulder Creek, I have chased them away from my garbage cans..even saw a bear on the CU campus about fifteen years ago.

The bears I have encountered have always seemed a bit mischevious,curious, or hungry with little interest in attack. Although I know bears should not be taken lightly..there is certainly no reason to go into full scale panic upon witnessing them. The last recorded Grizzly in the state was sighted in 1945..black bears are no more than big clumsy looking dogs looking for food. Keep yourself calm, make yourself appear as large as you can and walk away..just make sure you don't try to pet their cubs; they don't like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver