Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 10:06 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverLawGal View Post
I was one who gave LiveContent rep points, and I'd love to give him more but can't. I did so as I feel he approaches these issues with a rational and fair sense. If you don't live here KaaBoom, then I don't feel you can make statements or opinions on the RTD bus situation.

I'm not a major fan of RTD, but I do enjoy what they put out. I do think it runs much better than other places in the country. I also enjoy not having to drive into downtown on a daily basis. I think improvements are always needed, and I am among many disappointed in the light rail progress (I live in Thornton, I don't think we'll ever see the train up there).
Didn't I read that they're going to extend carpool lanes up I-25 through Thornton? I drove up there the other day and didn't notice any construction yet. Not that that helps you, but thought maybe you'd know since you live there!

Old 10-19-2011, 10:12 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,649 times
You people in Denver want a completely disfunctional infastructure, try visiting Austin and drive around for a few days. It's about as bad as it gets nationwide. Question. How are I-25 carpool lanes going to be extended up to Thornton? Is the freeway going to be restriped, or will they take a current lane for this? (i guessing the first)

I do not know of any major reconstruction of I-25 north of I-70 on the books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Didn't I read that they're going to extend carpool lanes up I-25 through Thornton? I drove up there the other day and didn't notice any construction yet. Not that that helps you, but thought maybe you'd know since you live there!

Old 10-19-2011, 11:12 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
Quote:
I was one who gave LiveContent rep points, and I'd love to give him more but can't. I did so as I feel he approaches these issues with a rational and fair sense. If you don't live here KaaBoom, then I don't feel you can make statements or opinions on the RTD bus situation.

I'm not a major fan of RTD, but I do enjoy what they put out. I do think it runs much better than other places in the country. I also enjoy not having to drive into downtown on a daily basis. I think improvements are always needed, and I am among many disappointed in the light rail progress (I live in Thornton, I don't think we'll ever see the train up there).

Thank you for the compliment.

There may be hope for the North Line which would make it possible to built it much sooner and with significant less RTD monies:

RTD gets private bid to work on cash-starved North Metro rail line | The Spot

The details have not been disclosed but it is would be more in tune of the Public/Private Partnership in Building the East Line and the Gold Line and part of the Northwest Line to Westminster. Those contracts have been signed and construction has begun. This is made possible by a federal grant to stimulate this type of funding with private resources.

RTD and the Federal Government wants to do more of these types of projects, so I suspect that RTD will go ahead and built the North Line in some form of this partnership. RTD has been thrown a lifeline and it would be foolish to not look seriously into this proposal. This would give RTD more credence when it goes to the polls for an increased sales tax or not have an need for this funding initiative.

Livecontent

Old 10-21-2011, 02:57 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:
If you don't live here KaaBoom, then I don't feel you can make statements or opinions on the RTD bus situation.
In case you didn't notice I didn't give my opinions about it. I simply posted the article. The statements and opinions expressed in the article were those of the Denver Post reporter and the Denver residents he interviewed. So the opinions and statements are from people who live in Denver. Plus at least two other posters in this thread (both from Denver) seem to concur with the article. Second I lived in Denver and rode RTD busses and trains for 25 years, and I still follow RTD news extensively. So I think I am qualified to make statements and give opinions about it.

I'm also very familiar with the Colorado Center for the Blind, which is mentioned in the article. Back in the days when the school was located on Broadway, I saw their students boarding the bus all the time when I rode the 0 bus. That was in the days when the 0 bus ran every 10 min. Now it runs every 30 min. I guess you fans of RTD consider that an improvement though.

Quote:
I'm not a major fan of RTD, but I do enjoy what they put out. I do think it runs much better than other places in the country.
Which other places would that be? I can't think of any other comparable size transit system in the country that is run worse then RTD.

Quote:
I also enjoy not having to drive into downtown on a daily basis. I think improvements are always needed, and I am among many disappointed in the light rail progress (I live in Thornton, I don't think we'll ever see the train up there).
If the current trend continues you will have a train. But you wont have any bus service to get to the train station.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:30 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
In case you didn't notice I didn't give my opinions about it. I simply posted the article. The statements and opinions expressed in the article were those of the Denver Post reporter and the Denver residents he interviewed. So the opinions and statements are from people who live in Denver. Plus at least two other posters in this thread (both from Denver) seem to concur with the article. Second I lived in Denver and rode RTD busses and trains for 25 years, and I still follow RTD news extensively. So I think I am qualified to make statements and give opinions about it.

I'm also very familiar with the Colorado Center for the Blind, which is mentioned in the article. Back in the days when the school was located on Broadway, I saw their students boarding the bus all the time when I rode the 0 bus. That was in the days when the 0 bus ran every 10 min. Now it runs every 30 min. I guess you fans of RTD consider that an improvement though.
The 0 bus runs still runs every 10 minutes.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:48 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
Quote:

Which other places would that be? I can't think of any other comparable size transit system in the country that is run worse then RTD.

If the current trend continues you will have a train. But you wont have any bus service to get to the train station.
"In case you didn't notice I didn't give my opinions about it. I simply posted the article."

Now this is a BS statement when you titled your thread as " More RTD FAIL" I would call that an opinion. Are you not aware?

Why do you post such out of date and wrong information?? Who cares? Because you do not live here and have not for years.

"I'm also very familiar with the Colorado Center for the Blind, which is mentioned in the article. Back in the days when the school was located on Broadway, I saw their students boarding the bus all the time when I rode the 0 bus. That was in the days when the 0 bus ran every 10 min. Now it runs every 30 min. I guess you fans of RTD consider that an improvement though."

Really--that is wrong, as was noted in the previous post.

You can give your opinions and you can give your comments as it is an open forum but we can continue to note that you do not live here, not for years; and we can correct your mistakes. Life is not living it through the internet, from your chair. Not all information and certainly not all correct information can be taken from the internet. You have to live the life, to talk the life; you have to walk the walk, to talk the walk.

Again you are not an expert on public transit in Denver, as you are pretending. You seem to have a need to criticize RTD but you do not live here and make assumptions that are not true and try to distill information from the internet. Why waste your time?

We, who live in Denver area, know the shortcomings of RTD. However, responsible and educated people of a community, know that dealing with RTD, there are always an ongoing communications between RTD and concern citizens. We do have a elected RTD board and I make contact with these representatives--do you? Again, you do not live here. What should be noted the current discussions and concerns about route changes are happening at the point where these are proposals for change and comments are invited with public meetings all over the metro area. This is a normal part of every periodic changes in the service. I have been to many of those meetings, over the years, and I know that public concerns are taking into account. How many current public meetings have you been to? oh, you do not live here.
Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 10-21-2011 at 10:41 AM..

Old 10-21-2011, 12:13 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
The 0 bus runs still runs every 10 minutes.
Good point, but that is only from I-25 & Broadway to Downtown. Thats only four miles out of a 15 mile long route. Which doesn't help the majority of riders, who live south of I-25 & Broadway. When I road it the 0 the service was every 10 min. all the way down to Littleton Blvd. & Broadway.

Even the 10 min. service between I-25 & Broadway and Downtown is a major decrease since the pre-light rail days. Since that part of Broadway was also served by routes 3, 4, 11, 14, 19, and 21, as well as dozens of express routes. The combination of which provided considerably greater headway then the 0 does today.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:45 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,122,782 times
I have voiced my discontent with RTD's service in South Jeffco in a post somewhere on city-data. In that post I lamented the lack of RTD call and ride service in South Jeffco. I was hoping that the service would be offered to supplement existing bus service. What we will get instead was C&R service to replace many different routes. The rationale for the changes is lack of ridership and the disabled will be the victims of the route cuts.

Because ridership figures show that people are not riding the bus in South Jeffco, RTD uses this as a justification for cutting routes. However, I am not aware of any RTD study to find out where people who live in the area are traveling to and from, and then creating (efficient) routes to serve those people. There are several ways to get downtown via express buses or light rail, but there are no routes that take commuters from Ken Caryl to the DTC. The distance is the same and there are nearly as many workers in the DTC as there are downtown. The only way I can get to the DTC is to endure transfers and take about an hour and twenty minutes to get there. Or I can drive.

I firmly believe that the lack of a city government plays a role in the loss of service as there is no entity to stand up to RTD's capricious decisions. As a proponent of mass transit, I have been sorry that RTD lacks viable routes in South Jeffco, and I am outraged by the indifference of the agency towards an area where nearly 60,000 people live. As a taxpayer, I am wonder if I am getting the best return for my tax money. Maybe it's time for the South Jeffco people to take a page from the Castle Rock playbook and opt out of RTD.

Old 10-22-2011, 02:16 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,217,927 times
Quote:
Phoenix's Valley Metro...notorious for drivers going on strike every time more money would be allocated to them until their pay went up...meanwhile, routes would continue to get cut. At the time a friend of mine that worked for them revealed to me that average driver pay was around $25 / hour. Also, constant breakdowns and buses that simply would not run on time...or sometimes even show up.

I'm not real thrilled with Phoenix's Light Rail, either. It's got a lot right with it...slick new trains, good train design for access, air conditioning...but a trip through downtown Phoenix takes *forever* because they deemed it impossible to establish an independent right-of-way for the train. Just getting from Van Buren to Camelback (a four mile trip) takes as long as it takes me to go the eight miles from my home in Denver to work downtown (about 20 minutes.)

Honestly, RTD is not that bad...they make mistakes, they have their problems...but there are worse systems out there.

Old 10-22-2011, 02:22 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,217,927 times
Quote:
Good point, but that is only from I-25 & Broadway to Downtown. Thats only four miles out of a 15 mile long route. Which doesn't help the majority of riders, who live south of I-25 & Broadway. When I road it the 0 the service was every 10 min. all the way down to Littleton Blvd. & Broadway.

Even the 10 min. service between I-25 & Broadway and Downtown is a major decrease since the pre-light rail days. Since that part of Broadway was also served by routes 3, 4, 11, 14, 19, and 21, as well as dozens of express routes. The combination of which provided considerably greater headway then the 0 does today.
The 0 is now somewhat supplemented by continuing service via the light rail now from I-25 and Broadway, at least serving Broadway residents down to around Hampden (and perhaps more with Park n Ride.)

I'm not saying it's perfect, and I'm sure the scheduling can be frustrating (how do we have that many packed trains every Friday night, but still have service every 30 minutes?), but in a bad economy when the tax money ain't happenin, decisions have to be made to cut things. Hopefully things can get back on track, service and thus ridership can improve and justify better scheduling and routes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver