Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2012, 11:17 AM

34 posts, read 138,298 times

Advertisements

Here's something I'm curious about as someone who lives far from Colorado. Is the high altitude in Denver supposed to be good for your heart, bad for your heart or does it make no difference - just something to get used to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 11:30 AM

26,218 posts, read 49,066,237 times
For most people it's just something they acclimate to in a few days or weeks, sometimes a bit longer.

If there are no known underlying health issues, it shouldn't be an issue; millions live here just fine.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:51 AM

34 posts, read 138,298 times
I was wondering if it can actually make your heart stronger like someone who does a cardio workout several times a week.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:49 PM

26 posts, read 66,623 times
I would think that's a valid point about heart health considering all the world class cyclists that train in the area. I believe there was an article in 5280 magazine that addressed that within the last few months.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:30 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,301,988 times
The reason they train here is the natural doping that occurs. That is, the body senses the hypoxia and in response, produces EPO, which leads to an increased red blood cell count.

Take those extra red blood cells back to sea level and you have an advantage in that your blood can carry more oxygen to the muscles, at least for a few weeks.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:35 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,237,954 times
I know I feel very sharp and energetic when I travel to low altitudes. I love to work out too... and can lift more weight. But it only lasts a couple days for me.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:41 PM

118 posts, read 403,681 times
Over time I think the differences on the heart muscle itself would be negligible in athletes. As mentioned, the most substantial effect are the changes in the blood and some other cellular processes to deliver the required oxygen supply.

Whether training at altitude or sea level, a heart pumping away at 160bpm is putting roughly the same work in to moving the same volume of blood through the vasculature.

Last edited by gooberlx; 12-18-2012 at 05:27 PM..

Old 12-18-2012, 05:04 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,718,300 times
Default Heart health

When we first moved to Colorado in 1990, I got ill in the first six weeks there. I went to a physician who took a blood sample to test in his office. In a few minutes he came back and said, "You're not from here are you?" And I told him that indeed, we had just moved there from Kentucky and asked how he knew that. He replied, "You have about 15% fewer red blood cells than someone who has lived in high country." I asked him if I would ever get the additional blood cells and he told me it would take as long as six months, but, yes, I would.

The strain early on for the heart is in not having enough red blood cells to capture and carry more oxygen to all of the body. If there is not enough red blood cells, the heart works harder trying to send blood faster all over.

You will adapt.

I'm a flatlander again, and walk about 2 miles every day. But when we go back to visit our son and his family in Denver, I'm huffing and puffing before I've gone a hundred yards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver