Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 02:33 PM

3 posts, read 3,909 times

Advertisements

Please help!

My husband, 10 month old son are headed to Denver in two weeks. It's a unique situation with my husband's job that will have us there until October. After many years of apartment and condo living, I had my heart set on renting a house. I found one that is perfect! The caveat-- there is no central a/c. Living in DC, I am used to atrocious, swampy summers. I know that is not the case in Denver. However, I need to know before we sign a lease that I am not going to be responsible for making my family miserable this summer. The landlord is willing to put in a portable unit in a room, but certainly this will only cool one area. Apparently the windows open strangely so window units aren't a good option. Two of the three bedrooms are in the basement so is it safe to assume it will stay nice and cool down there? I would appreciate your advice! Besides this one thing, the house is great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 02:41 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,894,836 times
If you're coming from the eastern seaboard you'll hardly notice it honestly. There may be a smattering of days when A/C would be nice, but it's not necessary. Once the sun goes down here the temperature drops pretty rapidly.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:45 PM

2,394 posts, read 5,001,101 times
I agree, I moved from Florida and even when we had a few days where it was 100 degrees I was saying how nice it was and had the windows in my car down.

All the people who had lived here for awhile at the time seemed like they were burning up

Old 02-17-2012, 03:48 PM

205 posts, read 503,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niquicita View Post
Please help!

My husband, 10 month old son are headed to Denver in two weeks. It's a unique situation with my husband's job that will have us there until October. After many years of apartment and condo living, I had my heart set on renting a house. I found one that is perfect! The caveat-- there is no central a/c. Living in DC, I am used to atrocious, swampy summers. I know that is not the case in Denver. However, I need to know before we sign a lease that I am not going to be responsible for making my family miserable this summer. The landlord is willing to put in a portable unit in a room, but certainly this will only cool one area. Apparently the windows open strangely so window units aren't a good option. Two of the three bedrooms are in the basement so is it safe to assume it will stay nice and cool down there? I would appreciate your advice! Besides this one thing, the house is great.
I don't think it's a deal breaker. Summers here can get hot, but if you have a portable unit for the main room where you'll be during the day and basement bedrooms, you should be fine. My house has a reverse floor plan (bedroom level is partially underground and main level is on top) and the bedrooms stay cool even during the day. We have AC for the main level, but not downstairs and it's fine. There are usually a few nights when it's hotter than I'd like, but not so hot that I can't sleep.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:51 PM

366 posts, read 1,374,302 times
for me it would be a deal breaker

Old 02-17-2012, 07:08 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default I lived 25 years

in a house in Bonnie Brae without A/C.

You open up the windows at night and then shut them in the morning.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
in a house in Bonnie Brae without A/C.

You open up the windows at night and then shut them in the morning.
Which works if you're gone all day at work. If you're in and out, the house heats up fast on the hottest days. I don't agree with the mantra that "you don't need A/C in Denver". We've always had at least a swamp cooler, and been glad for it.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:13 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default Not true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Which works if you're gone all day at work.
Both of us worked from home the last 12 years.
Working from home actually gives you an advantage as you can time the opening/closing more precisely.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:19 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times
Why not get a portable evaporative cooler & use it only during the hot days ? Im sure you & your family will enjoy the change of weather.
http://www.air-n-water.com/swamp-coo...ve.htm?size=-1

Last edited by steel7; 02-17-2012 at 08:28 PM..

Old 02-17-2012, 08:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Both of us worked from home the last 12 years.
Working from home actually gives you an advantage as you can time the opening/closing more precisely.
I'm talking about a SAHM with kids going in and out, in and out, all day long. I've lived it. I know what I'm talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver