Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 01:05 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartaz View Post
You are disgusting to trivialize a death.
I see absolutely nothing in that post that that could be interpreted as trivializing a death. Did you actually read it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 01:57 PM

208 posts, read 419,223 times
Not to distract from a loss of life but its an observation that i found odd in the denver post artcle that 6 people rallied behind this guy at the courthouse. His whole family needs to be wiped off the map if you ask me.

If i was charged or was even caught carrying a gun in a park i wouldnt expect my whole family to rally for me like that.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:10 PM

65 posts, read 99,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfilms View Post
Not to distract from a loss of life but its an observation that i found odd in the denver post artcle that 6 people rallied behind this guy at the courthouse. His whole family needs to be wiped off the map if you ask me.

If i was charged or was even caught carrying a gun in a park i wouldnt expect my whole family to rally for me like that.
I saw on the news his family came to his court appearance which is not surprising.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:06 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
Not far from City Park, is the Park Hill home of 21-year-old Rollin Oliver, the accused shooter.

"He's not that type of kid," Oliver's aunt Roxanne Shaw said.

Shaw doesn't think Oliver could do such a thing.

"I never knew him to carry no gun," Shaw said. "I don't think he's the one that could have possibly done the shooting."
I'd expect his family to support him. But damn, how can anyone be in that much denial? The guy is a well know and admitted gangster/drug dealer with a long rap sheet including a juvenile weapon charge.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:18 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
"I never knew him to carry no gun," Shaw said.

That means he always had a gun.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:47 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times
Default lesson learned

So far the only thing I've taken away from this, is that crazy random shooting people don't know how to shoot people in crowded places.

1) if there is a chance of shooting a person in a crowded area, bring a clean gun. (not linked to you).
2) dress in layers
3)Once you fire, and the danger/incident has passed immediately drop the gun. DO NOT CARRY
4) remove a layer

walk away, don't run.

How many times have I seen this stuff about someone shooting someone in public space and get caught running with the gun in hand. Seems like no one is establishing effective public get away rules for shooting. I am very dissapointed in the level of criminal here

Old 06-29-2012, 08:32 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtownKeith View Post
We really need to start treating these gangs as domestic terrorists. Seriously, which is worse gang killings and crime or Al Qaeda? The DPD needs to go on a rampage of arrests and plenty of broken eye sockets and fractured skulls along the way. These savages need to get the message this behavior is unacceptable.

Well wishes and condolences are nice and all but until action is taken this will just happen again and again.
But that plan won't work. It is hard to tell gangbangers from regular citizens, even with ethnicity being involved. You would end up killing people who aren't gang members as well. In order to go on this "so-called" rampage, you have to know WHO the enemy is. Gang members find ways to blend in. You would have to be much more covert than that. You have to know where the gang members are, and who they are before you can do anything. Just going on some rampage isn't going to solve anything. Wasting human lives to find a few gangbangers isn't going to be worth it in the long run. People will protest the police brutality. It would give Denver a bad reputation.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:29 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I'd expect his family to support him. But damn, how can anyone be in that much denial? The guy is a well know and admitted gangster/drug dealer with a long rap sheet including a juvenile weapon charge.

Well, probably the only "earner" in the family.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:08 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,621,890 times
I fanyone is interested you may contribute to the officer's family...

If you go to Rocky Mountain Law Enforcement Credit Union, I believe they have set up a fund. Very sad...my prayers go out to her family.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:39 AM

129 posts, read 211,981 times
Of course this was a tragedy, as people should be able to enjoy a Sunday evening in the park, without worrying about being shot. But this is a state that nearly passed a bill just this year, to allow everyone to carry concealed weapons, without even formal licensing, as if the current "class" required is really any kind of real training. God forbid, if a dozen attendees whipped out their 9s and began firing at the shooter, the number of victims might've increased exponentially.

Probably the most effective means of quelling much of the gang violence, not just here, but in all our big cities across the country, would be to end the "war on drugs". As a high level, Mexican drug cartel member said to Anderson Cooper during an interview, "As long as there is a huge profit to be made, drug trafficking will continue". Just as ending Prohibition tempered all the gang violence & drive-by shootings of the '20s, so too would pulling the profits out of dealing drugs. I just met a NYC cop last week who told me it's crazy that he has to arrest people for something that should be a health issue, certainly not a crime, comments echoed by thousands of law enforcement officers, from local & state, to federal agents, DAs, judges, and even governors.

LEAP | Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: