Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2008, 12:27 PM

99 posts, read 336,264 times

Advertisements

Denver, Colorado: When your first building is a saloon, you know you’re a friendly town

“Denver has the easygoing and friendly nature indicative of the Midwest. Various cocktail parties sport the ‘Colorado casual’ look, which is everything from sequins and silk to jeans and cowboy boots or stiletto heels.” — Patti Johnson, Denver real estate broker

Did you know?

Downtown in the Mile High City is one big, car-free “pedestrian mall” lined with shops, bars and restaurants where locals and tourists alike hang out. There’s even a free shuttle bus that runs along the main street.

Denver is one of only two cities in America with eight professional sports teams.

The first permanent structure in Denver was a saloon. Talk about hospitality.

A cultural melting pot, Denver hosts the country’s largest Cinco de Mayo festival, the Longs Peak Scottish Festival, the National Gay Rodeo Finals, PrideFest, and it has the Black American West Museum in the historically rich African-American Five Points neighborhood. Its population is 40 percent Hispanic and 10 percent African-American.

The city also boasts comprehensive accessibility services like wheelchair-friendly trails and accommodations and transportation services for the physically impaired.

Denver will host the Democratic National Convention this August. For the convention, Bikes Belong will supply the city with 1,000 bicycles to be used in a system similar to that in Paris (credit card access; rates are lowest for short jaunts around the city). Seventy will be left behind as a legacy that Denver plans to grow into a city-wide public
transportation system of several hundred bikes.

The median single-family home sales price is $223,500.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 01:30 PM

719 posts, read 2,622,828 times
Top 5 lists are all the rave of greedy developers and their ilk. In fact, I'll bet that's what they assign their underlings to research in their quest for more places to "improve". I especially like how residential RE developers complete their new doings with the erection of an oversized U.S. flag, as if to celebrate a new conquest on the frontier.
Gaddamned media whores...

Old 05-28-2008, 01:55 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,776,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmom View Post

Denver is one of only two cities in America with eight professional sports teams.

okay I don't know much about Denver but what professional sports teams are there besides the Broncos, Rockies, Nuggets, and Avalanche?

Old 05-28-2008, 03:17 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,999,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
okay I don't know much about Denver but what professional sports teams are there besides the Broncos, Rockies, Nuggets, and Avalanche?
Colorado Rapids (MLS), two Lacrosse teams (Mammoth and Outlaws), and Colorado Crush (AFL). There are also minor league hockey teams in Broomfield and Loveland, plus college sports at DU and CU-Boulder.

The major "gap" we have is WNBA. We need to get a WNBA franchise and we'd be set.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:23 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,355,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmom View Post
``Denver has the easygoing and friendly nature indicative of the Midwest. Various cocktail parties sport the ‘Colorado casual’ look, which is everything from sequins and silk to jeans and cowboy boots or stiletto heels.” — Patti Johnson, Denver real estate broker
Denver is considered the "Midwest" now? That's news to me.

Quote:
The first permanent structure in Denver was a saloon. Talk about hospitality.
Ok, and Denver hasn't changed since 1859, I presume?

Interesting claim to fame, but I just don't how the article's criteria (with the exception of wheelchair accessibility and public festivals) relate to level of friendliness.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:36 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,776,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
Colorado Rapids (MLS), two Lacrosse teams (Mammoth and Outlaws), and Colorado Crush (AFL). There are also minor league hockey teams in Broomfield and Loveland, plus college sports at DU and CU-Boulder.

The major "gap" we have is WNBA. We need to get a WNBA franchise and we'd be set.
ahh I see, I guess I should expand my definition of professional sports beyond just MLB, NFL, NHL, and NBA. I always forget about Soccer and didn't even realize there were a professional LaCrosse league.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:59 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,093,478 times
goldenmom,

I thought it was a nice article.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:45 PM

99 posts, read 336,264 times
Default Friendly....

Thanks,SheridanL.

I thought that the posting would bring out some interesting conversations!

I have copied what she based friendliness on below. If you want to read the whole thing, it is under the "Today" section.

<<What makes a city friendly? We looked for certain standards like safety, diversity, pedestrian and bike friendliness, as well as the presence of parks and public spaces. Then we looked for something unique, like a place that always has big, fun public events or someplace with a lot of farmers markets. Most importantly, we talked to brokers to get their personal stories of friendliness. (Did you know that people in Nashville will strike up a conversation with you while waiting at a red light?) And finally, we took a look at statistics that help make a place friendly, such as enough hotel rooms to welcome visitors, enough bars to have a robust happy hour, enough tourists willing to visit and, of course, budget-friendly home prices.>>

Last edited by goldenmom; 05-28-2008 at 05:55 PM..

Old 05-28-2008, 06:14 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,081,614 times
Quote:
Downtown in the Mile High City is one big, car-free “pedestrian mall” lined with shops, bars and restaurants where locals and tourists alike hang out. There’s even a free shuttle bus that runs along the main street.
That is describing "downtown" pretty tightly. And main street? Makes it sound like a cow town.

The author evidently likes her alcohol, LOL!

Old 05-28-2008, 07:25 PM

108 posts, read 306,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Denver is considered the "Midwest" now? That's news to me.

Ok, and Denver hasn't changed since 1859, I presume?

Interesting claim to fame, but I just don't how the article's criteria (with the exception of wheelchair accessibility and public festivals) relate to level of friendliness.
Oklahoma is considered by "Okies" as the Midwest! that doesn't make sense to me either. If I had to lean one way or the other, Oklahoma is more southern than midwestern in thought, tradition, music,and racial attitudes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver