Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 11:42 PM

11 posts, read 43,943 times

Advertisements

Lot of threads about the Broomfield/Louisville/Superior/Westminster areas, but most are from people with families looking to buy houses. I'm early 30s, single, no kids, looking to rent as my job is only guaranteed for a year. I don't know the area that well, other than looking at a map. I've been out there several times, but just to ski. My priorities are a short commute to Broomfield (15-20 minutes max) and easy access to mountain biking and the I-70 ski areas. Would the above mentioned areas be too suburban and family-ish for someone in my situation? I want to be around some single people my age, but not in the middle of the CU party scene. What is south Boulder like? I'm looking for a 2 or 3 bedroom (I'm a packrat with 2 large cats), prefer a house but could deal with an apartment if it had a garage, would like to stay under $1200 but could go a little higher. Suggestions?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 01:08 AM

1,048 posts, read 4,344,552 times
If you know that you will work in Broomfield then I would look for apartments/house for rent in that area.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:18 AM

That's what I'm leaning toward. I really hate a long commute, and prices seem reasonable there. But all of the threads I've read on here go on and on about the great schools, community activities for the kids, all that. I'm just wondering if there's anything else there...

Old 09-12-2007, 06:54 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
S. Boulder would work. Lots of college students in that area, not just in apt. complexes, but in SF houses in the Martin Park area, too. It's less "family" oriented than Broomfield, which is a nice place, IMO.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:43 AM

I'm trying to avoid heavily student-populated areas too. Was hoping for a happy medium between the college scene and the established families with kids. Maybe I'm being too picky.

Demographics aside, what are my options if I want mountain biking trails that are within riding distance (i.e. accessible without having to put my bike on a car rack to get there)?

Thanks.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:55 AM

OU314: Perhaps I wasn't clear enough about S. Boulder. There are many college students living everywhere in Boulder. S. Boulder probably has fewer, especially fewer undergrads, per capita, than the areas right around the University (basically central Boulder). If you want easy access to the mtns, Boulder is your best bet.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:24 AM

271 posts, read 1,380,398 times
I live close to Broomfield. Not much besides strip malls and SFHs around there (or in Westminster for that matter). Flatiron Crossing might be a happy medium for you, however. It's a more dense area, with plenty of shopping/restaurants close by and good access to highways. I'm guessing it's a somewhat younger crowd as well. If you want lots of nightlife nearby, however, your only choices, as far as I know, are Pearl Street in Boulder and LoDo in Denver. There's others around, but they're scattered. Westminster has a great trail system, but then, so do most other cities here. The great thing about that is, you can get just about anywhere in the metro area on a bike.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
OU314: Perhaps I wasn't clear enough about S. Boulder. There are many college students living everywhere in Boulder. S. Boulder probably has fewer, especially fewer undergrads, per capita, than the areas right around the University (basically central Boulder). If you want easy access to the mtns, Boulder is your best bet.
Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the info.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon View Post
I live close to Broomfield. Not much besides strip malls and SFHs around there (or in Westminster for that matter). Flatiron Crossing might be a happy medium for you, however. It's a more dense area, with plenty of shopping/restaurants close by and good access to highways. I'm guessing it's a somewhat younger crowd as well. If you want lots of nightlife nearby, however, your only choices, as far as I know, are Pearl Street in Boulder and LoDo in Denver. There's others around, but they're scattered. Westminster has a great trail system, but then, so do most other cities here. The great thing about that is, you can get just about anywhere in the metro area on a bike.
Thanks. I don't quite need the level of nightlife that Pearl Street or LoDo offer, so it's probably not worth paying the premium to live there. I'll check out Flatiron Crossing. I've lived in the north Dallas suburbs for 10 years because of my work location, so it's not like I'm allergic to strip malls.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:25 PM

There is one large complex near FlatIrons, called Horizons. There are also some condos being built near there, but you probably don't want to buy. There are apts in Broomfield. I'd still recommend S. Boulder as an option. You will get an ideal what you like when you come out to look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver