Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 07:54 AM

85 posts, read 126,831 times

Advertisements

I asked on the general US thread where my husband and I should move, based on our conflicting preferences, and I got quite a few answers of Denver. So here I am, hoping some locals may be able to confirm or deny if we should consider it a possibility.

My husband and I are from Wisconsin. He loves it, and I hate it. I've always told my parents, as soon as I am able, I'm out of here! But now I have him to consider too. I am determined to find our perfect city, one that is a compromise between our very different tastes. Hoping for the experts' advice based on our below preferences...

He likes: seasons, snow, fishing, pickup trucks, hanging out with his friends, low cost of living, residing in a house, plowing snow, doing his own house repairs, cloudy days, Dallas Cowboys

He hates: humidity, hot temperatures, moving a lot (his mom did it to him as a kid, and it's severely colored his opinion of it negatively), renting

I like: 50-80-degree range of temperatures, good mass transit (or at least good walkability and bike-ability), city amenities (like festivals, restaurants ,parks), walking my dog, gardening, wearing sandals

I hate: long winters, more than a few inches of snow, getting into a cold vehicle or cold bed, when it gets dark at 4pm, mosquitoes, wearing four sweaters under my coat

So, I know we couldn't have every single thing, but do you think Denver could be a good compromise? Is this a good candidate to spend our money and time to come visit and see it for ourselves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 08:18 AM

1,225 posts, read 3,230,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roonil View Post
I asked on the general US thread where my husband and I should move, based on our conflicting preferences, and I got quite a few answers of Denver. So here I am, hoping some locals may be able to confirm or deny if we should consider it a possibility.

My husband and I are from Wisconsin. He loves it, and I hate it. I've always told my parents, as soon as I am able, I'm out of here! But now I have him to consider too. I am determined to find our perfect city, one that is a compromise between our very different tastes. Hoping for the experts' advice based on our below preferences...

He likes: seasons, snow, fishing, pickup trucks, hanging out with his friends, low cost of living, residing in a house, plowing snow, doing his own house repairs, cloudy days, Dallas Cowboys

He hates: humidity, hot temperatures, moving a lot (his mom did it to him as a kid, and it's severely colored his opinion of it negatively), renting

I like: 50-80-degree range of temperatures, good mass transit (or at least good walkability and bike-ability), city amenities (like festivals, restaurants ,parks), walking my dog, gardening, wearing sandals

I hate: long winters, more than a few inches of snow, getting into a cold vehicle or cold bed, when it gets dark at 4pm, mosquitoes, wearing four sweaters under my coat

So, I know we couldn't have every single thing, but do you think Denver could be a good compromise? Is this a good candidate to spend our money and time to come visit and see it for ourselves?
I think Denver offers a lot of what you are looking for. Denver does have seasons, although the seasons here can be bizarely interrupted by strange weather events (snow before Halloween or in April is common), but the climate is not humid, although summers can be quite hot with several days in the mid to upper 90s. We do have several times through the winter that we get more than a few inches of snow but it does tend to melt quickly. There are usually mild days during the winter with temperatures in the 50s/60s, but there are also cold snaps where the temperatures can struggle to get out of the single digits. The key word to describe Denver weather is variety.

There are plenty of city amenities here. Lots of fun festivals, especially during the summer and Denver has a good and exploding restaurant scene. Parks are plentiful all over the metro area, and there are plenty of places to walk your dog. As long as your husband doesn't mention that he's a Dallas Cowboys fan, he should be fine

Cost of living isn't sky high, but the area's getting way overpriced in my opinion. Salaries haven't kept up with the COL, so the area isn't nearly as affordable as it used to be. What kind of work do you guys plan on doing out here?

Old 08-30-2013, 08:29 AM

322 posts, read 525,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roonil View Post

Based on your likes and dislikes above, Denver doesn't seem like a compromise --- it seems like a great fit. I think some of your and your husband's preferences may conflict (low cost of living vs walkability/restaurants/city amenities), but there are definitely a few pockets within the city (and inner-ring suburbs) that may make a good compromise depending on your budget. Do a little more research and come and visit.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:35 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,567,247 times
It is a compromise, but I would worry that neither of you will be happy.

It's probably more urban, expensive, and sunny than he wants and more cold and dark than you want.

Sounds like you should move to San Diego and leave him in Wisconsin.

Seriously though, you want to live in a walkable, charming urban neighborhood and we have lots of those, but they are expensive. What's your budget look like?

It also snows here, but it is very sunny so most of the time it melts within a few days. We rarely have extended gray skies any time of the year. It does get dark early in the winter, but not at 4pm.

On the plus side, we have a very good city with good public transit, mostly very good weather, no humidity (which actually bothers some people), and do get 4 seasons.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:48 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,783,825 times
In the past we have considered Denver down to Colorado Springs area. It really depends on your personalities. Also finances and job situation for you and your spouse...

Old 08-30-2013, 09:13 AM

103 posts, read 292,065 times
Denver checks a lot of your boxes. Nice weather, plenty of amenities, no bugs or humidity. Not knowing your budget though, the renting/buying thing could be the deal breaker. The average cost of housing is higher in Colorado with low inventory. And the rental market is tough. Rental rates are high. Something to consider for sure.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:25 AM

85 posts, read 126,831 times
It sounds like the cost of living would be our biggest hurdle. My husband has a degree in law enforcement, but so far has had a tough time with getting past initial interviews (last one around here had about 400 applicants for about a dozen positions), so he works in a warehouse now. I'm an entry-level graphic artist. We're in our early 20s, so still trying to move up our careers. Are there communities around Denver that are close enough to visit the city on the weekends, but big enough that you can work and grocery-shop there, and that have a lower cost of living? Or would that just be too good to be true? Lol.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:33 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,057,812 times
What $s are you thinking for rent or buy?

Old 08-30-2013, 09:35 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,112,589 times
A Cowboys fan surrounded by Cheeseheads? I'm surprised he doesn't want to leave as bad as you!

Truthfully, I think you will find a better compromise in Fort Collins and the surrounding area. It has a much more 'pickup-truck' feel for him (in fact reminds me very much of Wisco), and Old Town should fulfill your desire for cosmopolitan living.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:00 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,567,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
A Cowboys fan surrounded by Cheeseheads? I'm surprised he doesn't want to leave as bad as you!

Truthfully, I think you will find a better compromise in Fort Collins and the surrounding area. It has a much more 'pickup-truck' feel for him (in fact reminds me very much of Wisco), and Old Town should fulfill your desire for cosmopolitan living.
I think this is a great idea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver