Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 05:52 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,623,473 times

Advertisements

Hello:

I'm seriously thinking of moving back to Colorado (I live in Florida now).

I have a house that I have been renting out so I'm good on housing.

My question is should I even start sending resume's out now or will no one bite?

I have HR/Investment experience-but I haven't worked for a year as I was attending school full time. Once I move back I will pick up school wise while working.

Any advice? I am a little nervous because everyone seems to be moving to Denver and I'm not sure if the economy can handle all the transplants-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 07:29 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,567,247 times
What's to lose? Put down your Denver address on your résumé. Most will correspond via email and phone so it is likely that they wouldn't know your were out of state. If an interview was scheduled could you hop on an airplane?

Old 07-27-2013, 07:29 AM

17,712 posts, read 29,839,573 times
Default Everyone says

1. Much more difficult to apply/search remotely.
2. Get a local address (a friend's house) on your resume if possible.
3. Come here with at least 6 months of living expense money.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:29 AM

Thank you-

Anyone move to Denver recently and had a job lined up before taking the plunge?

If I do decide to move, my house will be empty (the renter has until August 15th) so I will move in then.

I'm just nervous because I know the economy isn't great but I cannot find work in Florida and I do not want to stay her for sanity's sake...

Old 07-27-2013, 12:31 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,316,428 times
Read my response to this thread, exact same question: http://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...l#post22403092.

If you are currently employed, it is a very difficult question, because job seekers who are currently employed have a HUGE advantage over those who are unemployed. But in your situation, if you are not currently working anyway, AND you have a place to live in Denver, this is a no brainer. Just pick up and move to Denver, then start looking for jobs. If you list a Florida address on your job applications the HR lady will toss the application directly into the garbage without even looking at it.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:27 PM

25 posts, read 41,653 times
I am in the process of moving there. My wife and I are building a house. She is there now, and already working. I am looking for work and have had a few phone/skype interviews. My wife is a teacher and found a perfect job for her without much effort. My job is IT related. Probably the only reason I am getting interest is because I told them I am currently building a house. They know that I am serious about moving there. Sadly I wont be in my new home till the end of September. I suspect I won't get a serious offer till then, but you never know.

So start applying now, use your Denver address, and be ready to hop on a plane when you get an interview.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:53 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,948,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp127001 View Post
... Probably the only reason I am getting interest is because I told them I am currently building a house. They know that I am serious about moving there. Sadly I wont be in my new home till the end of September. I suspect I won't get a serious offer till then, but you never know.
My wife and I are moving this week. She has found a job, but the company admitted they weren't that interested until she told them she would be in town the following week to buy a house. In less than 10 mins she went from the maybe pile to the only person they interviewed.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:50 AM

Ok...thanks for the information...I guess I will use my Denver address. I also will include a cover letter explaining that I'm moving back to Denver because of family and that I own a house (my phone number is a Florida area code).

If I decide to move it will be in August because that is when the renter is moving out.

If anyone else has any more positive stories....keep em' coming!

Old 07-28-2013, 09:39 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,567,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Ok...thanks for the information...I guess I will use my Denver address. I also will include a cover letter explaining that I'm moving back to Denver because of family and that I own a house (my phone number is a Florida area code).

If I decide to move it will be in August because that is when the renter is moving out.

If anyone else has any more positive stories....keep em' coming!
I'm not even sure I would go in to the moving situation on the cover letter. With cell phones being the norm, many people have different area codes.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I'm not even sure I would go in to the moving situation on the cover letter. With cell phones being the norm, many people have different area codes.

True.....I'm just nervous..moving with no job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: