Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2008, 02:04 AM

6 posts, read 32,246 times

Advertisements

I just signed up for an account today, but I've lurked around this site for a month or two in an attempt to gather information on Denver. I find this forum to be very helpful and pleasant. My wife and I will be in Denver from Friday until Tuesday, both to interview and to look for housing/see the city. We are strongly considering a move from Houston. We were in Denver this past August for 2 short nights, but we loved what we saw.

We will be staying at The Curtis at 14th Steeet, near Champa. The Falling Rock Tap House and Wynkoop Brewery are the 2 bar recommendations given to me. For restaurants, we have heard good things about: Chop House, Emma's Tamayo, and Wazee Supper Club. Any other recommendations? We are pretty laid back as far as bars (we like: lots of beers on tap, nice seating/set-up), and we like most types of foods (Steak, Italian, American, Mexican, Asian, Greek).

We are planning on using a locator to help with housing.... we want to rent for 9-12 months around downtown (and then possibly buy a house a little farther out). We want to be within walking distance/short cab ride/public transportation of LoDo and the other fun parts of downtown..... we want to enjoy the bars/breweries, eateries, and shopping --> sort of a last "hurrah" before we get ready to start a family. We would like a 2 BR condo or townhouse, fairly new, and want to stay under ~ $1300/month. Any suggestions?

Also, are there other "must see" attractions or shops near 16th Street or LoDo? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 06:33 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,106,001 times
One of my favorite restaurants anywhere is Vesta Dipping Grill in LoDo. Check it out!

Old 01-02-2008, 09:05 AM

26,221 posts, read 49,066,237 times
We think the Denver Chop House is excellent. In the Historic Oxford Hotel on Wazee St is a seafood house with a killer art deco bar where you can eat (in addition to the dining room). There are TONS of good places there and along the 16th Street Pedestrian Mall (no cars, free bus that stops at each corner), enough food to last a lifetime.

If you like fancy western wear, there is the legendary Rockmount store down there, where they make'm plain and fancy, and very fancy. The stuff worn by C&W music stars and fancy dressers. The old chap who started decades ago is still there most days, even though he's over 100 now. Great story. Must see, if only for a quick walk through.
Attachment 10230

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-02-2008 at 10:53 AM..

Old 01-02-2008, 10:32 AM

49 posts, read 219,140 times
my brothers bar is a cool place - burgers & beers. all of the brewpubs are good, we also liked a tapas place - called rioja, i think. good italian place around the corner from wynkoop (sp) brewery too - i forget that name but i'm sure someone can help you w/ that one.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:55 AM

676 posts, read 2,797,739 times
You need to hit up the peaks lounge at the hyatt hotel by the convention center. Right around sunset is where the best views from downtown are. Drinks are about average for down there too.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:26 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.

Keep 'em coming.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:04 PM

47 posts, read 47,195 times
Do you like jazz? A unique Jazz joint called el chapultepec is on 20th/Market st. This place is a real "jazz" club. It is not a micro brew sit quiet place. This is one of the oldest jazz places in the west, and was a hang out to the beat generation writers like Jack Kerouac. It is the only place in LoDo that has the real club feel. The rest are newer fancy microbrews. Go there to experience "real" culture. Other places are not in Lodo and are on Broadway, and Colfax.

The fallingrock is definately a place to go. 70 beers on tap. The mayors bar the Wynkop is also good, with good food and beer. Lots of pool tables in that bar. I never liked the Brekenridge brewery that much. I thought their beer is overrated, and the place is mostly boring.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:52 PM

I like jazz; my wife is basically indifferent. It has been a while since I've heard good jazz music, so we may check it out. Thanks for the recommendation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: