Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2014, 01:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,008 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm looking at Denver as one of the places I'll be moving too. My boyfriend is looking at doing Teach for America around that area. I'll be graduating with a management information systems degree (basically a hybrid degree of business and IT courses) in April 2015. I'm currently applying right now at entry-level jobs to get my resume out there. We'll be visiting during my spring break at the end of march. Does anyone have any advice or reasons to go or not to go. I know there will be a change in weather conditions and humidity for me. I'm ready to see something new and I think Denver would be good for me. I have two dogs, so I hope I will have the chance to find some dog parks. I would like to look at trying to get outside more, so I think I'll like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 02:53 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,235,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTideBlastoise View Post
Hi,

I'm looking at Denver as one of the places I'll be moving too. My boyfriend is looking at doing Teach for America around that area. I'll be graduating with a management information systems degree (basically a hybrid degree of business and IT courses) in April 2015. I'm currently applying right now at entry-level jobs to get my resume out there. We'll be visiting during my spring break at the end of march. Does anyone have any advice or reasons to go or not to go. I know there will be a change in weather conditions and humidity for me. I'm ready to see something new and I think Denver would be good for me. I have two dogs, so I hope I will have the chance to find some dog parks. I would like to look at trying to get outside more, so I think I'll like it.
Well, it's a good place to be outside a lot

Do you like urban? Rural? Suburban? If you're renting, then rent prices, especially in the city, will probably be a shock. I've only driven through Birmingham so I can't give you a great comparison, but Denver is bigger, more densely populated, more traffic, etc.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:49 AM

694 posts, read 1,040,081 times
Start getting your resume out there now. You'll be competing not only against those from out-of-state who want to live here and will accept any entry level job just to get a rocky mountain high, but also those who are already here in college wanting to stay here after they graduate.

If you were born and raised in Alabama and have never been here before, it will be a culture shock. We don't execute people, get mud in out tires, and I haven't heard too many locals talking about how they cook their grits.

Also, as mentioned above, get use to traffic congestion and higher rents.

Last edited by JohnnyDenver; 10-09-2014 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-15-2014, 04:25 AM

7 posts, read 18,329 times
Denver's job market is good but competitive. The weather here is excellent even during the winter, there can be relatively mild days and abundant sunshine for days at a time. Coming from Birmingham, AL however, you might find the winters a bit uncomfortable. The altitude and arid climate in itself is a bit tricky to adjust to. Denver's active lifestyle and health conscious attitude and general beauty with the Rocky Mountains backdrop is what attracted me to Denver fifteen years ago. There is more than plenty of physical activities to engage in here, a lot of parks and trails to run and bike on and with Denver's close proximity to the Rocky Mountains there is an abundance of ways to stay in shape, hiking, biking, snowboarding and skiing for example. Denver also offers a lot of dog parks especially in the downtown area and surrounding neighborhoods. I consider it a walkable city if you live downtown and public transit is improving with the Fastracks program well underway, soon there will be a rail line which will connect DIA with historic Union Station. I don't know what the population of Birmingham is but Denver is a much bigger city so with that comes typical big city stuff like homelessness, traffic congestion and more competition in the job market, i suspect property values here are higher than Birmingham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: