Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2015, 10:24 PM

30 posts, read 85,022 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My fiance and I are planning to move to the Denver are fairly soon. He has family in the area and plans to move down about a month before me to look for a job and stay with them while job hunting, he hasn't had a job for about a month and recently filed for unemployment. I am going to stay behind since I am still working and collect a few paychecks before starting to collect unemployment. We plan to ship our car, and I have gotten a few quotes but other then reviews on websites I don't really know where to start. I assume there are probably only a few companies that come to Alaska, but honestly I have no clue because I've never done this before. Any ideas?

I would also like any current reccomendations for apartments slightly outside of the Denver area, I know it highly depends on where our work will be..our family that he will be staying with is in the 80231 zip area. Although I have done some research and heard this is not the safest area, although this could be wrong. I was looking at the Glendale and Lakewood area. Any thoughts on these locations or nice decent apartments? We are hoping to not spend more than 1000 a month for a one bedroom so I know that will limit my options. Any advice is appreciated!

Also, I am currently working as an admin asst/surgery coordinator and my fiance plans to look for warehouse/labor/forklift work as he has a few years experience in that field, any suggestions for work?

Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated from the locals!

Thanks for reading!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 10:13 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,055,140 times
American Furniture Warehouse runs a big furniture business here and has large warehouse operations. Here is a link for their open jobs:
Job Opportunities | Colorado Jobs, Arizona Jobs - AFW

Old 01-04-2015, 10:32 AM

236 posts, read 370,566 times
[quote=We plan to ship our car, and I have gotten a few quotes but other then reviews on websites I don't really know where to start. I assume there are probably only a few companies that come to Alaska, but honestly I have no clue because I've never done this before. Any ideas? [/QUOTE]

Something to consider, this looks to be about a 2 week transport and I suspect it will be pricey.

Serving Alaska, Hawaii and The Lower 48 Mover | Mover in Serving Alaska, Hawaii and The Lower 48 | Wrightway Auto Carriers

South - Anchorage to Seattle/Tacoma

10 Day Transit $995.00

Would there be more value in selling your car there and buying something used in Colorado?
Vehicles lead a somewhat easier life down here so that is worth thinking about.

You can likely use your local BBB office to find A rated carriers.

BBB of Alaska, Oregon & Western Washington

Wrightway has a BBB rating.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:35 AM

6,804 posts, read 9,357,536 times
I think 80231 is a great area. I lived in that ZIP for about four years, off of Quebec Way at Colorado Ave. I wouldn't describe the area as unsafe at all. I also like the Glendale area, though there are still a few older apartment complexes over there that don't look very great, but many of them have been renovated. Lakewood is also (generally) good.

BTW, I love Alaska and I'd move there in a heartbeat if I could -- but if you've lived there your entire life, I can totally understand why you would want to give another place a try.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:40 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
80231 is hit and miss. There are some fairly ghetto low income apartments and some $1M homes. I grew up in 80231. There are parts I would live in and parts I wouldnt.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:09 PM

30 posts, read 85,022 times
Thanks so much everyone for the input! I will look around at the 80231 apartments. I see a lot of bad reviews all over Denver on ApartmentRatings but I guess I can always have my fiance go take a look around once he gets down there. His nephew has a car and is hopefully going to be getting my fiance a job temporarily with him once he gets down.

I am mostly just nervous as far as shipping my car, its a newer 2012 Camry that I have a loan on so selling is not an option for me. I just will call around and see what kind of deals I can get.

Thanks again and again, any advice/input is appreciated!

Old 01-05-2015, 05:16 PM

236 posts, read 370,566 times
Have a safe and stress-free move. If you stick with the BBB and get things squared away you should be fine. Auto transporters like you to leave ZERO personal goods in your car, as you will learn. Sound advice. Most transporters do a very good job keeping your vehicle safe, if not clean. You may want to pay the extra for enclosed transport.

You all have fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver