Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 05:33 PM

4 posts, read 9,543 times

Advertisements

I'm 21 years old currently live in Connecticut and am looking to move somewhere warmer that isn't a desert. I considered California but the southern part is too dry for my liking and the northern part seems like it would be perfect if there was more going on. So I'm looking to move West of Denver because they seem to have more mild winters (yes I know the temperatures fluctuate quite a bit but overall it seems to be warmer than Connecticut) with less snow and summers that aren't as humid. I love the outdoors, hiking, mountain biking, dirt biking, snowmobiling, anything outside really and I'd like to be near a motocross track since I'd really like to be able to ride my dirt bike a few times a week after work. I'm a Ford Automotive Tech and Lakewood Fordland and Thunder Valley MX are both in Lakewood which is why I'm looking at the area.

My biggest concern is that Lakewood might be boring for someone in their 20's. Basically I'm wondering how many people my age live in the area and if Lakewood is a safe place to live. Also, is Colorado extremely dry in the winter? I've been keeping an eye on the weather in Lakewood and I plan to take a trip out there within the next few months, but before I spend all the money on a trip out there I'd like to get some input from other people. By the way I'm looking to move in a year or so.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 06:24 PM

22,356 posts, read 29,476,635 times
Lakewood Fordland is now owned by The Larry Miller Group just fyi. It's very dry here-I come from Miami and my skin is like a lizard. Lakewood is safe-there's the good and bad areas of it. Not much night life out here-you'll have to go into Denver for that

Old 01-06-2015, 06:47 PM

17,715 posts, read 29,859,001 times
Winter is quit dry here. As someone moved from MA, I love it.
Live as close to Colfax Ave as you can and take the #15 bus into Denver when you don't want to drive.

Last edited by davebarnes; 01-06-2015 at 07:35 PM..

Old 01-06-2015, 07:03 PM

4 posts, read 9,543 times
Thanks for the tip on the Larry Miller Group himain, looks like that was a very recent change, I know Lakewood Fordland has a lot of good reviews online from the past few years, I'll have to keep an eye on reviews to see how the new ownership effects their quality of service. Davebarnes, what's the reason for living close to colfax ave? Public transportation?
Thanks

Old 01-06-2015, 07:07 PM

8,608 posts, read 14,911,957 times
Denver's climate is really only a couple inches of precip away from being a desert, but it's technically semi-arid. It's dry year-round here, but winters are when it's typically the dryest. We have a whole-house humidifier attached to the HVAC system that we crank up to 30% in the winter to calm the static electricity in the house. It works...sorta.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:11 PM

529 posts, read 1,549,302 times
Most people I know from the northeast who now live in Colorado definitely prefer the winters in Colorado. Yes it is dry but just make sure you apply lotion regularly if you need it and wear sunscreen if you are outside for an extended period of time since it is very sunny most of the time. I lived in New Jersey as a kid and I definitely prefer the winters here in Colorado.

I too am in my 20's and live in Lakewood currently. I love it personally, it has the foothills of the front range right against the city and access to the highest peaks of the front range is only a 35 minute drive away. I am an outdoor nut as well (why else would someone live in Colorado?) so I can assure you that you will be satisfied with the abundant outdoor opportunities just minutes from the city.

Downtown Denver is only a 10-15 minute drive from Lakewood so you really do have the best of both worlds just minutes away.

Also by "boring" what exactly do you mean? If you are implying things like nightlife then no Lakewood isn't that great. There are a few popular bars and social gathering places in Lakewood particularly along Colfax and in the Belmar neighborhood but nothing compared to Denver. The good news is that Denver is only 10 minutes away! As I mentioned I too am close to your age and there are many people in their 20s in the area so if you want to make friends you definitely will.

I will add though that I am not much of a bar person or club person, nor have I ever been one so I'm not sure if my opinions on "boring" will be shared by you. However I can assure you 100% that there are plenty of indisputably non-boring places in Denver just minutes away.

Here are links to some of the areas you mentioned and I mentioned in case you haven't visited them yet.

Thunder Valley Motocross- Thunder Valley Motocross
Lakewood Fordland- New and Used Ford Denver | Larry H. Miller Ford Lakewood
Belmar- Belmar

Best of luck!

Last edited by JMM64; 01-06-2015 at 07:22 PM..

Old 01-06-2015, 08:41 PM

450 posts, read 508,378 times
All of the Denver area is technically a high-plains dessert. The winters are not that bad. Use lotion as previously sugested, get a humidifier or two for your most common living areas (like your bedroom and livingroom) and then go out and have fun!

Old 01-06-2015, 08:45 PM

694 posts, read 1,040,759 times
My biggest concern is that Lakewood might be boring for someone in their 20's.

There are several gyms in Lakewood with a good amount of MILFS and Cougars looking for younger boy toy action. Overall though, it's not known for an exciting nightlife.

Basically I'm wondering how many people my age live in the area and if Lakewood is a safe place to live.

It's a pretty safe town. The only areas to avoid living are along Sheridan Boulevard and a few side streets north and south of Colfax between Sheridan and Wadsworth.

I lived at 13105 West 2nd Place in 1983. It was a happening apartment complex back then. I was 24, just out of the Air Force and in the police academy. I never lacked for female companionship at that location.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:47 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,196,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Denver's climate is really only a couple inches of precip away from being a desert, but it's technically semi-arid. It's dry year-round here, but winters are when it's typically the dryest. We have a whole-house humidifier attached to the HVAC system that we crank up to 30% in the winter to calm the static electricity in the house. It works...sorta.
LOL, this might be the briefest, yet most accurate, review of a whole house humidifier I have heard

Old 01-07-2015, 11:26 AM

384 posts, read 508,324 times
Yeah, not sure on nightlife for a 21 year old, but it's pretty suburban, so it is what it is. Denver is close, Golden is close, and there are a few bars/restaurants/nightclubs scattered about. You'll find plenty to do!

There is a community college nearby (Red Rocks) and Golden has the Colorado School of Mines, I'm guessing there are apartment complexes and entertainment options that cater to those students. Since you are college age, I'd probably to some research in that direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver