Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 03:18 PM

15 posts, read 33,645 times

Advertisements

Me:
  • 27/M living in Columbus, Ohio
  • College Educated: Finance/Economics
  • Work: Senior Financial Analyst - CapEx/Opex forecast n budget
Question:

Considering a change in environment after living in midwest for so long. Looking to relocate. I have a few friends in the Denver area who love it, been there once planning a second trip to visit. My company has a satelite office in Westminster that i can easily transition to.
  • How much different is Cost of Living? I would look to rent ~$1200/month. Can you find that in Denver; is it a reasonable commute from denver area to Westminster?
  • I did a google search and saw that from the office location to downtown denver is 12.8 miles. How much does traffic impede the commute (I-25)
  • Is the rent estimate reasonable from an expectation standpoint (modern furninishings/stainless steel applicances etc)
  • Currently salary ~80k. is that enough for a single person in the city or is Denver comparable to NY COL. What does my experience command within the Tech industry with significant experiance in Infrastructure/Network Finance and 6 years experience?
Your thoughts and feedback is appreciated.

i'll field any questions for pertinent info i forgot to include.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 03:44 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Northwest Denver is a fairly easy commute to Westminster. You did not tell us your work address, but 12.8 miles from Union Station ("Travel by Train") takes you to north of 120th Avenue.
Consider the Denver neighborhoods of: Sunnyside, Berkeley Regis, Highland, West Highland. These all have very easy access to downtown and the myriad restaurants in the Northside.

Costs of Living (differences only):
1. Car registration - much higher for new cars.
2. Rent. Way higher. You need to bump that number up.
Here are 2 new places in the Northside:
Highland Place-Denver | Overview
Floor Plans :: Apartments in Denver, CO :: 2785 Speer Apartments

Old 03-01-2015, 04:37 PM

The adress of the office is 995 West 122nd Avenue, Westminster, CO 80234

Those apartments links you provided look like great options. Il be potentially bringing my car with me (2011 bmw) so hopefully registration won't be too crazy.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:55 PM

194 posts, read 273,289 times
You will do fine on 80k assuming you don't have tons of debt. Dave gave you good advice, based on a few things you said I think you would like NW Denver.

Always best to have two or three different ways to work. NW Denver gives you access to Federal and I-25. If your work schedule is along common times you will probably find I-25 impossible....traffic sucks here. There seems to be some kind of issue starting around 120th and I-25 ....it took me 15 minutes to get down to 84th at 11:00 a.m. on a Saturday!! Friends that live around there tell me that is normal, busy always even on the weekends! Crazy.

But the north suburbs can and are growing so it makes sense there is a ton of people up there. Fort Collins always seems closer to the metro area every time I go.

I'll spare you my registration rant....better check it online.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:20 PM

Hopefully I can justify an off cycle increase to offset cost of living differences.

My debt is of the typical. Car payment and student loans.

From what I currently don't have a long commute but I hear that Denver is where all the action is not to be cliche. Il look into the registration costs.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:55 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
2011 BMW
No worry
No research needed
Unless it is a 1991 BMW Nazca C2 - Specifications, Images, TOP Rating

Old 03-01-2015, 10:13 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Highland is a great neighborhood for you look in, but yeah that rent number needs to go up. I've always felt people in CBus had a bit of a small Chicago mentality. Denver is going to be a departure from that.

Is the Bimmer RWD or AWD?

Old 03-02-2015, 11:23 AM

694 posts, read 1,039,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moallin View Post
Me:
  • 27/M living in Columbus, Ohio
  • College Educated: Finance/Economics
  • Work: Senior Financial Analyst - CapEx/Opex forecast n budget
Question:

Considering a change in environment after living in midwest for so long. Looking to relocate. I have a few friends in the Denver area who love it, been there once planning a second trip to visit. My company has a satelite office in Westminster that i can easily transition to.
  • How much different is Cost of Living? I would look to rent ~$1200/month. Can you find that in Denver; is it a reasonable commute from denver area to Westminster?
  • I did a google search and saw that from the office location to downtown denver is 12.8 miles. How much does traffic impede the commute (I-25)
  • Is the rent estimate reasonable from an expectation standpoint (modern furninishings/stainless steel applicances etc)
  • Currently salary ~80k. is that enough for a single person in the city or is Denver comparable to NY COL. What does my experience command within the Tech industry with significant experiance in Infrastructure/Network Finance and 6 years experience?
Your thoughts and feedback is appreciated.

i'll field any questions for pertinent info i forgot to include.
You can easily live 80K with minimal debt (car payment and maybe 2 credit cards), as long as you don't plan on spending most of your income at one of the new type of organic shops we have in the area.

You should have no problem finding an excellent 1-bedroom apt for $1,200, unless you want a loft in LoDo or one of the new "hipster" areas.

Don't get too excited about the Avs . . . . they play on the same level as the Blue Jackets.

Old 03-02-2015, 04:37 PM

BMW is RWD but i have snow wheels/tires...smooth sailing so far.

Columbus is definitely that small chicago mentality. I am used to bigger cities as i frequent Toronto a lot so a departure from the norm would be appreciated.

Never been the type to over spend on the organic shops etc. Just the ocasional restaurants and don't go grcoery shopping too often as i don't cook.

Old 03-02-2015, 04:54 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moallin View Post
BMW is RWD but i have snow wheels/tires...smooth sailing so far.

Columbus is definitely that small chicago mentality. I am used to bigger cities as i frequent Toronto a lot so a departure from the norm would be appreciated.

Never been the type to over spend on the organic shops etc. Just the ocasional restaurants and don't go grcoery shopping too often as i don't cook.
I think you'll be in great shape and would really enjoy the Highland neighborhood. Here is a good guide to downtown neighborhoods: http://www.downtowndenver.com/category/neighborhoods

As for the RWD Bimmer, I drove an M3 for about 3 years here with snow tires. It is mostly fine in the city, but if you plan to spend much time going to the mountains in the winter, it is a really bad vehicle. I still love that car, but it just was horrible on steep hills in the snow, even with Nokian Hakkapeliittas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver