Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 02:52 PM

384 posts, read 508,706 times

Advertisements

Ok, upon further reflection a thread separate from the DougCo thread may work better (that one is really long )

The issues between the two districts are similar though I'll note the areas are pretty different. JeffCo having some pretty poor spots mostly along it's eastern border with Denver, while for DougCo - not sure where their economically depressed area is even located

I know for many in JeffCo the fear is that DougCo's board is just a couple years ahead of JeffCo's - and with similar aims.

I don't agree that the Teacher's Union is solely where the party politics comes from, NOTING however that WNW came in guns a blazing with plans to do things completely against the wishes of the teachers. I'd say they came in looking for a fight, and as expected, they got one.

Strictly from a political standpoint they bungled the start of their terms. They could have come on softer, maybe even conceded a position or two, stayed out of the papers for the most part and as usual - no one would know who is even on the school board. They also would have solidified their base, locked up the moderates and could have slowly and quietly gotten pretty much everything they wanted over time.

Not sure why they came in and started to act with such an iron fist, but they did and it's really backfired. I've never talked to anyone from the teachers union (and none of my kids teachers have spoken to me about board politics), but I've talked to large numbers of parents that do NOT like nor trust WNW. The board has lost the middle completely and as they keep digging in, it only gets worse. Still haven't talked to a WNW supporter - which I find odd as I though I had some fairly conservative friends - maybe they are just at the national level.

Where I really get concerned is it seems like there is a group wanting to push their particular "reform" agenda via DougCo and JeffCo, etc. And I believe this is really a national group looking for an "easy" place to get their people elected and start something I'd term an experiment.

IF that group was out making the same efforts in some truly abysmal districts, I might agree with many of their reforms.

But, neither DougCo nor JeffCo were (or are) failing districts. Yes, they have schools that need work - and sometimes massive work - but as a whole, the districts were very successful.

Perhaps that's my biggest resentment - I don't like seeing something that was working for the most part taken completely apart to achieve an agenda that someone (WNW and their backers I presume) won't even fully explain or reveal.

We could use the baby with the bathwater analogy here I guess, because that's what I think is happening.

My 10 second background is that I am Catholic and went to Catholic schools from K-12. Totally in favor of religious schools and religious education, but don't believe my tax dollars should pay for it.

Totally in favor of Charter/option schools. In fact, that's one of my problems with WNW - they seem to have no interest in replicating or enlarging some of our highest performing programs - instead putting focus on new and untested Charter ideas that do not appear properly organized or focused.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. I'm sure these topics will fire up immensely once the recall petitions are certified and the real campaigning begins. And it's going to get ugly - that's for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 02:59 PM

572 posts, read 553,662 times
the subjects of the recall efforts in JeffCO came into office as reformers of the status quo;
the same premise that they had campaigned on, and been elected to do...

is that not an accurate reflection of the circumstances surrounding the election results?

Old 07-17-2015, 03:08 PM

531 posts, read 1,148,379 times
I need to go sign the recall petition...

I honestly don't think the people who voted for them knew exactly who they elected.

Old 07-17-2015, 03:12 PM

right, keep discounting the voters...

afterall they're too dumb to know what and whom they vote for...

in essence, is that what you are trying to say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechMike View Post

I honestly don't think the people who voted for them knew exactly who they elected.

Old 07-17-2015, 03:41 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,466,800 times
Is there any non partisan info on what the Jeffco recall is about? Everyone in my neighborhood is trying to get my wife and I to sign the petition but I dont have kids and dont have an idea what this is about.

Old 07-17-2015, 03:47 PM

I'm not sure... I've not been able to find any so far...
I'm in the same boat as you, no kids - no real meaningful interaction with the school district.

I found:
in support of the Board: www.jeffcostudentsfirst.org & www.jeffcorepublicans.com
in opposition of the Board: www.supportjeffcokids.org and a bunch more sites, facebook page, etc.

It seems to be a non-neutral issue in many ways...

I did appreciate the point by point answers to the recall petition accusations Here to be helpful for me

Good luck in finding sources -- if you happen to stumble on some, would you check in to share? please!

Old 07-17-2015, 04:17 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,135,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsDEN View Post
I'm not sure... I've not been able to find any so far...
I'm in the same boat as you, no kids - no real meaningful interaction with the school district.

I found:
in support of the Board: www.jeffcostudentsfirst.org & www.jeffcorepublicans.com
in opposition of the Board: www.supportjeffcokids.org and a bunch more sites, facebook page, etc.

It seems to be a non-neutral issue in many ways...

I did appreciate the point by point answers to the recall petition accusations Here to be helpful for me

Good luck in finding sources -- if you happen to stumble on some, would you check in to share? please!
Here is a listing of some of the questionable decisions and activities of the board.

Old 07-17-2015, 04:27 PM

These are exactly the accusations rebutted in the linked document

The BOE has traditionally engaged an attorney, the hiring was done in executive session - to my understanding, and as reported
In defense of hiring by Jeffco school board - The Denver Post

Again, please do keep digging for a better picture of events before agreeing to the recall...
It seems some smoke and mirrors are in play...

Old 07-17-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsDEN View Post
right, keep discounting the voters...

afterall they're too dumb to know what and whom they vote for...

in essence, is that what you are trying to say?
Not at all what I am saying. I think people voted for them, expecting reasonable public officials.

Instead, we're stuck with officials, who among other things, attempt to influence history curriculum because they don't agree with it, bully students, staff and anyone that disagrees with them.

I don't think anyone expected these results.

Above all, I want peace and civility in the way our elected public officials represent themselves and we're just not getting that.

Old 07-17-2015, 05:58 PM

Here is a good, though possibly biased, overview of some of the issues: History Is Still Being Written in the Ugly Battle Over Public Education in Jefferson County | Westword
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver