Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 10:40 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times

Advertisements

Speaking of dating, there's a great article in today's WaPo about why French women keep "getting lucky" at ages when most American women are long gone from the scene. Very interesting, and lots of great comments too.

washingtonpost.com

s/Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 01:21 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times
Interesting, I'm considering Denver because the single life in Chicago for a young woman is really terrible....yes I do believe it has to do with the demographics. Guys in Chicago tend to love the single life, while many women are very frustrated with it. I've known about this for years. And no it is not an urban legend, its census!

Old 02-13-2008, 12:51 AM

19 posts, read 143,018 times
rgb123,
I think a lot of how being single is has a lot to do with what you like to do for fun, how you like to meet people and what type of social stuff you do during the weekend. People in Chicago LOVE to party...there are TONS and TONS of bars to go to...or CUBS games...or the Beach on Lake Michigan...or street festivals in the summer. The problem is with Chicago is that's almost always what weekends are about is drinking. And while that may be fun every now and then, it gets old after awhile. Plus it's EXPENSIVE. As a guy, it's easy to spend $200 on an average night out in Chicago. And alot of times you end up with shallow relationships because of it. There is a large population of what I call "superdudes" in Chicago in their mid to late 20s that still act like they are in college and booze ALL THE TIME. To a lot of girls, this is a turn off. So I can see why as a girl, that being single might not be the best b/c if partying doesn't appeal to you, then you will have a harder time finding single guys.
I guess that's one of the big reasons I'm thinking about moving out to Denver is b/c of the various activities it offers. Sure it has bars, clubs, the 4 major sports teams...but it has all that outdoor activity (skiing, biking, hiking, camping). Stuff that doesn't involve just drinking. Will I still party...of course...but it's nice to have other options when you just don't feel like it.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:01 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times
I agree with you but it is also a numbers game, there are just more single women than men in chicago (I studied this in sociology classes in Chicago actually, it is especially bad for young black women...there is something like 80 eligible black men for 100 black women of the same age). I think the demographics favor the men and it plays out (well I dont just think it, its a very popular theory in sociology.....look back at the gold rush days and see how it favored the women and many think chivlary was so important then because of the demographics, etc.) Anyway though, yes the lifestyle and superdudes.....indeed. The atmosphere is one that not only urges but tends to condone anonymous hookups, and there is always another one around the corner...truly I read in cosmo (no not a regular reader a few years ago that Chicago is like the capital of superdudes that pursue women then disappear off the planet with no explanation (I attribute this finding to the demographics, and there always being another female around the corner, but it also could have to do with the fact there is always also another big party with 20 more females, or an el train with 40, etc.).

Anyway, I agree with you....I have been thinking as of late that most of the superdudes I would have anything in common with besides the surface stuff probably moved to Colorado, Arizona, California, Wasthingon, joined the military etc, etc, years ago....

Anyway...back to Denver. It is well known that western states have higher concentrations of males.....I've studied it and took note years ago....have yet to act on it

Another theory of mine is that girls tend to stick closer to home and to their families while young men will leave and go to places that interest them, especially places that have a lot of outdoor activites. Girls may want the same things but are less likely to travel too far from home. I think a lot of those superdudes end up in places like Denver and the ones that remain in Chicago are probably mama's boys or way too into sports or the stock market for my tastes

I gotta get out of here

Last edited by rgb123; 02-13-2008 at 07:14 PM..

Old 02-16-2008, 01:42 PM

14 posts, read 87,127 times
I totally hear you guys! I'm also a Physician Assistant graduate student currently in Chicago. And I absolutely love being near my family & friends, the great public transit, the walkable city.......

But, I think there are major problems with both finances and the social life of the area. Chicago healthcare does not pay that well. I didn't go to graduate school and 150,000 in debt to make a mere 60,000 a year. And as for a social life, I love my friends dearly. But there has to be more to life than Coach purses and men who brag about their stock portfolios. I love the outdoors.

The only things I think I will miss about Chicago are my friends/family & the beautiful lakes. Do you think its worth it to start over and try to meet new people in Denver?

Old 02-16-2008, 02:19 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie_001166 View Post
... Do you think its worth it to start over and try to meet new people in Denver?
Not sure anyone can answer that but you, and it seems you've gotten to the answer ("more to life than...."). Chicago is a short air hop or train trip from Denver.

What I can say is what others before me have said, don't grow old regretting the times you didn't spread your wings or rueing the opportunities you did not take to live your own life on your own terms.

One more thing. You're gonna LOVE Colorado.

s/Mike

Old 02-17-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie_001166 View Post
I totally hear you guys! I'm also a Physician Assistant graduate student currently in Chicago. And I absolutely love being near my family & friends, the great public transit, the walkable city.......

But, I think there are major problems with both finances and the social life of the area. Chicago healthcare does not pay that well. I didn't go to graduate school and 150,000 in debt to make a mere 60,000 a year. And as for a social life, I love my friends dearly. But there has to be more to life than Coach purses and men who brag about their stock portfolios. I love the outdoors.

The only things I think I will miss about Chicago are my friends/family & the beautiful lakes. Do you think its worth it to start over and try to meet new people in Denver?
Of course it's worth it if it means an overall happier life and well-being. If you immerse yourself with things that you love to do in Denver...whether that be skiing/boarding, Broncos/Avalanche games, biking, camping, fishing, the arts, a great job, great people, etc...whatever... you'll be amazed at how it can change your life forever.

However Katie...your job is a lot like mine. I'm a dentist and you and I could both make more money and be a little more "successful" by going to an area that is in high demand for our positions. The problem with that, at least for me (I'm not too sure with a physician assistant) is that these high demand areas are smaller towns. I'm just not a small town kind of guy...maybe someday but not right now. I like meeting new people all the time and I like a little bit of anonymity.

Chicago is a FANTASTIC city. Like you said...great public transit, Lake Michigan is great (although it's just a big dirty lake so i question how great it really is), and you can walk all around downtown...great people watching and diversity. But for me my number one complaint and it's a big one is the inability to get away. You can't go to the mountains like in Denver...sure you can fly out of O'hare/Midway to these destinations but that costs $ and I want to be able to enjoy the mountains and outdoors every day. I get a sense of invigoration and calm by playing in the mountains and I believe that is a key part to my lifelong happiness. This is one of the major reasons I'm going to be moving to Denver. In fact, I love nature and the mountains so much that I actually considered moving to Alaska. I also very much agree with your assertion "there has to be more to life than Coach purses and stock portfolios." There is a layer of shallow materialization there.

Mike said it well..."What if?" Like is too damn short to wonder "What if I would've moved to there (in this case Denver) and started all over again" Why not give it a shot? I've heard LOTS of positives about Denver...so many young people I know have moved there and LOVE IT. Sure, every city has its negatives. A lot of people say Denver isn't "green enough", it's too dry, no bodies of water, etc. But if you compare these "bad qualities" to other big cities in the US these aren't bad at all. With all that Denver has to off...there's a way better upside in my opinion. I guarantee if you and I both move there we won't regret it. It's just getting the stones to do it and never look back.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:36 PM

5 posts, read 42,226 times
Just wanted to say that I love reading all these posts. I too am planning on moving to Denver and have been going back and forth whether or not I should do it. Most of my friends all live back here in the Midwest and all of the job offers I have been receiving have been in Chicago, so the easy thing to do would be to stay here. But reading all of these post has made me realize you are only young once and what do I have to lose. I can always move back if I am not happy. (which I highly doubt I would be cuz I love the mts way too much) I guess I never want to look back and go what if?

Also if anyone is looking for a roomate, get in touch with me. I am 22 years old swf, athletic, love outdoors, sports, having fun. I plan on living downtown (lodo, ballpark, capitol hill) and rent is usually cheaper when you have 2 people. Plus I think the move would be easier if I had someone else living with me!

Last edited by RothK; 02-17-2008 at 07:57 PM..

Old 02-17-2008, 07:46 PM

8 posts, read 33,544 times
I am also moving to Denver from Atlanta in July to start work. I am currently searching for a roommate so if anyone is interested let me know.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RothK View Post
Just wanted to say that I love reading all these posts. I too am planning on moving to Denver and have been going back and forth whether or not I should do it. Most of my friends all live back here in the Midwest and all of the job offers I have been receiving have been in Chicago, so the easy thing to do would be to stay here. But reading all of these post has made me realize you are only young once and what do I have to lose. I can always move back if I am not happy. (which I highly doubt I would be cuz I love the mts way too much) I guess I never want to look back and go what if?

Also if anyone is looking for a roomate, get in touch with me. I am 22 years old swf, athletic, love outdoors, sports, having fun. I plan on living downtown (lodo, ballpark, capitol hill) and rent is usually cheaper when you have 2 people. Plus I think the move would be easier if I had someone else living with me!
Damn RothK..."22 yo swf, athletic, love outdoors, sports, having fun", that pretty much sums up the perfect girl. Not sure about the roommate thing but certainly taking you on a date would be cool. Ha Ha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver